2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for retaining continuity where club playing style is concerned. That, though, doesn't necessitate a DoF. Swansea did it for years without one, for example.

It necessitates something. Whatever you want to call it and whatever specific roles you give it, it will start to look like a DoF

How many academy players did they bring through though during his spell? He was the DOF of PSV, not the DOF of Ajax to be clear. The thing he will remembered most fondly for at PSV, will be his knowledge of the South American market
I'm not sure, but three players I read about were Andreas Pereira, Riechedly Bazoer and Zakkaria Bakkali. But he hired Art Langeler to overhaul that side of things to get away from a focus of buying talent to producing it - sometimes through picking up younger players discarded from elsewhere.

The overall point is that PSV hired Brands to economise and that's what he did. They are the noises he's made so far here.

I'm not sure, but three players I read about were Andreas Pereira, Riechedly Bazoer and Zakkaria Bakkali. But he hired Art Langeler to overhaul that side of things to get away from a focus of buying talent to producing it - sometimes through picking up younger players discarded from elsewhere.

The overall point is that PSV hired Brands to economise and that's what he did. They are the noises he's made so far here.

You say economise, I say getting value for money.

Anyone who thinks Moshiri has the financial clout to bridge the gap between us and the top 6 doesn't understand how big that gap is. About £100m-£200m a year.

The only way we'll compete is by doing things better - clear paths to the first XI to attract the best talent for example.

...and why would we need to hear them?

Because he was asked a question in an interview or press conference , and people usually like to hear from the club, especially a new appointment that is a very important position and one that's key to our future approach in recruitment and and structure of the club we all love. It's good to get an idea of what one of the most important people at the club thinks and what his approach might be.

BS

How can a manager build a team of players chosen by someone else.
Do you think Ferguson and morinho have their players chosen for them.

Having a dof more often then not causes more problems

Look at shenchenko, Torres for Chelsea look at Robbie Keane for Liverpool.
The managers never wanted these players

That’s what managers do. Marco Silva currently has a whole team of players picked by someone else. Most managers will play a team that has been bought under 5 or 6 different managers. Ours were bought by 4.
Managers buy plenty of duff players anyway so not sure that really holds up either.
Obviously managers and DoF’s would have contact and a discussion about who is bought but the manager should have enough to be able to make the players work

You say economise, I say getting value for money.

Anyone who thinks Moshiri has the financial clout to bridge the gap between us and the top 6 doesn't understand how big that gap is. About £100m-£200m a year.

The only way we'll compete is by doing things better - clear paths to the first XI to attract the best talent for example.
I'm not complaining about economising if you get the greater value. As others have pointed out above, to make the savings work you need to have a rich supply of very good youngsters coming through in order to save on fees. I'd also argue that economising should also be about transferring existing spending from fees to wages. It concerns me that we've heard about a wage reduction. That potentially puts a huge spike through any plans to ally playing more good youngsters with quality players brought in. It sounds to me so far that fees AND wages are in the sights of Brand. That cant succeed.

Because he was asked a question in an interview or press conference , and people usually like to hear from the club, especially a new appointment that is a very important position and one that's key to our future approach in recruitment and and structure of the club we all love. It's good to get an idea of what one of the most important people at the club thinks and what his approach might be.
...or handle it with a straight bat or tell the questioner "these are all matters I'm in discussion with the manager about".

Easily handled.

...or handle it with a straight bat or tell the questioner "these are all matters I'm in discussion with the manager about".

Easily handled.

What an awsome interview that would be, wish you were head of PR mate. 60 second press confrerences only twice a year with no answers given , would be so exciting

Do we know if Brands brought a team in with him to work or is it a case he’s come in solo and is head of what we previously had?

Big talk about his contacts who I understand to be agents, but does he have a scouting network that he has acces to now whilst at us.

The little snippets I’ve heared indicate he’s fine tuning what we have but I do wonder if he’s added to what we have with a team of remote scouts that help identify targets in South America particularly.

What an awsome interview that would be, wish you were head of PR mate. 60 second press confrerences only twice a year with no answers given , would be so exciting

You dont think the art of handing press conferences is to get what YOU want across rather than hand out info to others that THEY want?

It isn't a circus act. He's not there to entertain reporters.

...or handle it with a straight bat or tell the questioner "these are all matters I'm in discussion with some bloke on a forum who I understand would argue black was white if it suited his agenda of dissing everything Everton”

Easily handled.

Think this is what you would really have liked him to have said!

I hope that is exactly what he does....only EFC could come into money like we had last year and squander away so badly.

The spending last year was reckless and incompetent..like a kid finding a tenner and running into a sweet shop

Koeman and Walsh have set the club back years both on the pitch and off.

I hope Brands and Silva are up for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.