2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
What have elite teams got to do with it? Elite teams wouldn't touch most of our players. We are not an elite team.

His touch is inconsistent. Know what isn't inconsistent? His scoring goals and changing games.

Of course we all want a squad of world beaters and that takes time, and like the rest of them with one or two possible exceptions, none of them will take us forward, I am just sick of reading people saying he is a "terrible footballer" even when the evidence is right in front of them that he aint actually that bad.

Depends what people class as a good footballer really. I don't really care what their control is like etc, I care about what the end product is on the pitch and Oumar's end product is pretty impressive which makes him a good footballer for me.

All round game does matter tho , if it didn't ferguson wouldn't have dropped and sold van nistlroy in January when he had already notched 24 goals

He says too much for me. The latest "I'll give Lookman another chance" statement jarred. I want the manager of this club to be telling me that.

If anyone doesn't think this arrangement - whereby this DoF says that he's in charge of everything except picking the players for a match - has in-built conflict then they're kidding themselves. Brands talks in terms of overcoming the manager is king philosophy in England and the need to "resist" it. Maybe he thinks it's a good idea to experiment with us by shifting to another philosophy entirely. I dont. We're not a laboratory. He has way too much scope to act at this club and the first run of poor form will see fractures all over the place as everyone starts pointing at everyone else to pinpoint where the problem is.

Brand's job should just be to oversee procurement with the say-so of the manager and to oversee the academy. Full stop.

Mate I have literally never tead a positive post from you. Saying to much? He was publicly backing a young player that had a disagreement with the club (sam) last season and might be wondering where he stood. He also lets RBL know that he's considered a first team player and won't be going cheap if he is sold, he also gives the fans a bit of positive news and clarity. This is all done in a few sentences and I'm assuming someone asked him about lookman? What you expect him to say? Nothing?

He says too much for me. The latest "I'll give Lookman another chance" statement jarred. I want the manager of this club to be telling me that.

If anyone doesn't think this arrangement - whereby this DoF says that he's in charge of everything except picking the players for a match - has in-built conflict then they're kidding themselves. Brands talks in terms of overcoming the manager is king philosophy in England and the need to "resist" it. Maybe he thinks it's a good idea to experiment with us by shifting to another philosophy entirely. I dont. We're not a laboratory. He has way too much scope to act at this club and the first run of poor form will see fractures all over the place as everyone starts pointing at everyone else to pinpoint where the problem is.

Brand's job should just be to oversee procurement with the say-so of the manager and to oversee the academy. Full stop.

We're going to see more and more clubs fully embrace the DoF model because it's the only one that makes sense for continuity and identity. Having the whole football side reliant on one man is a flawed system and one no club should have anymore when managers rarely last longer than a few seasons.

Mate I have literally never tead a positive post from you. Saying to much? He was publicly backing a young player that had a disagreement with the club (sam) last season and might be wondering where he stood. He also lets RBL know that he's considered a first team player and won't be going cheap if he is sold, he also gives the fans a bit of positive news and clarity. This is all done in a few sentences and I'm assuming someone asked him about lookman? What you expect him to say? Nothing?
...and why would we need to hear them?

We're going to see more and more clubs fully embrace the DoF model because it's the only one that makes sense for continuity and identity. Having the whole football side reliant on one man is a flawed system and one no club should have anymore when managers rarely last longer than a few seasons.
I'm all for retaining continuity where club playing style is concerned. That, though, doesn't necessitate a DoF. Swansea did it for years without one, for example.

What I've heard so far on the general direction of the club pretty much fits in with the shift he made at PSV - attacking existing transfer policy and getting the club to focus on bringing academy players through. Not a problem with that as long as we dont see a massive attack on wages - because the PL iron law is that if you dont pay the going rate then you'll finish down the table.

The thing that strikes me about his time at PSV though was his hiring first team staff over the head of the manager. He did that with Cocu when he went through a rocky period. If they do that without fuss in Holland then fine. Here it will be seen as a declaration of war on a manager.

Overall: I think Brands will need to pay heed to our culture as much as he wants to impose his own methodology on us. This has to be about fusion of ideas not the wholesale imposition of his.

What I've heard so far on the general direction of the club pretty much fits in with the shift he made at PSV - attacking existing transfer policy and getting the club to focus on bringing academy players through. Not a problem with that as long as we dont see a massive attack on wages - because the PL iron law is that if you dont pay the going rate then you'll finish down the table.

The thing that strikes me about his time at PSV though was his hiring first team staff over the head of the manager. He did that with Cocu when he went through a rocky period. If they do that without fuss in Holland then fine. Here it will be seen as a declaration of war on a manager.

Overall: I think Brands will need to pay heed to our culture as much as he wants to impose his own methodology on us. This has to be about fusion of ideas not the wholesale imposition of his.
How many academy players did they bring through though during his spell? He was the DOF of PSV, not the DOF of Ajax to be clear. The thing he will remembered most fondly for at PSV, will be his knowledge of the South American market

I got the same feeling too. He's promoting the idea of picking youth who have the potential to replace outgoing players but we need the injection of near top quality now .
I love the idea of pushing youth players but what happens if they don't realise their potential ?
I don't think Kenny , DLC and Davies will make the biggest clubs drool over our youth system at the moment . I would be over the moon to be proven wrong .
We need some top players now and I fear we are going to be stuck with dead wood as I can't see anyone buying the likes of Mirallas and Williams . Who's gonna take Bolasie for instance with his poor showing last season and his wages ?
Gonna be a tough couple of seasons without some big buys and a relience on potential.
However Brands seems like a realist and that is hopeful in it's self .

BS

How can a manager build a team of players chosen by someone else.
Do you think Ferguson and morinho have their players chosen for them.

Having a dof more often then not causes more problems

Look at shenchenko, Torres for Chelsea look at Robbie Keane for Liverpool.
The managers never wanted these players

Im actually sick of our fans obsession with playing the youth players tbh.

None have been any real quality since Rooney and when they do get a chance in the first team and do well they crap on us at the first chance anyway (Rooney, Barkley).

Im all for giving a young player a chance if they have genuine quality but too many in our fanbase get misty eyed over a decent season in the under 23's or based on reviews they have heard from your guru in the brick who goes the odd ressie game.

We need to spend money on actual quality yet our fanbase give the club the excuse to not spend noney "well YOU want attacking football with loads of boss scouse kids in the side so heres Silva and Brands cheers".

I agree with his comments on using our youth system, it's good, half of them are amongst the best in the world for their age group and they can all be squad players for the foreseeable future.

Kenny's good enough to play backup to Coleman, Holgate is good enough to do the same at center back, lookman is good enough to be rotated at wing, Robinson could take over from baines in two years as a rotational left back etc.

We need to use this to trim our squad, it means we can sell older players on bigger wages who will offer no more than those players like Martina, Williams, mirallas, besic whilst also trimming down our squad of over 23's. If we look at clubs like the bitters and spurs, this isn't a luxury they have. They'll be paying big fees and wages for bit part players like sissoko or wijnaldum instead.

But in no way should we be relying on these players to be first teamers like Davies and dcl have, unless they're really special. I don't think any of our youngsters are that special type, but all seem capable to be backups which will save us millions in the future.

You can see from the off if a player from the youth system will get a good player.
Look at Rooney Kane Alli, bale they stuck out from their first season.
And you could see they were the best players on the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.