Marco Silva: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 681 89.5%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 80 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends how everyone else performs. Year before last 8th place got 46 points. They were still looking over their shoulders with a few games left.
That would be too much of a gamble to do as it would mean we could be tempting relegation just to sought a style of play.
I don't like putting places to finish but rather a points target. Transition or not it has to be 50+ points. That will see us comfortably in the top 8.
That's fair enough, I do too. But some years the points tally required for top 7/8 is mid to high 50s, and that (possible though it is) should not be used as a guide to progress. We cant become fetishised over league placement - the objective next season has to be to clear dead wood out and introduce new faces to the core we want to keep and get them balanced as a unit and playing in a style we wish to call our own in the near future.

Gets a fair go but not gonna get exited by a manager talking a good game. Heard that before and the clown didn’t care about defending or set pieces.
You'd expect 72 points all day long though and cup runs to the SFs presumably?

Like it or not: the club, after thinking it could turn back and away from the type of football we had up and running before Koemageddon, have accepted that a football manager who wants to play it on the deck and build moves is the only game in town now. Itls a case of back to the future. Thank God.

Relatively high risk appointment (could have played it 'safe' with a Pellegrini) but pretty high potential, so happy enough, but can't be excited given the season just gone. Even after supporting this club for years, that was the biggest let down going. I'm just glad we've got a manager that I'm not ashamed of right now though. Whatever the results of other managers, Allardyce was a stain on this club- not for achieving what was probably asked of him- but the way he did it. Time to move on with Silva now, cautiously relieved.
No way Pellegrini is playing it safe, that's got relegation written all over it. Sam Allardyce is playing it safe. Pellegrini struggled to do anything with decent teams and he's about 168 now, no thanks.
I'm pretty happy with Silva he's a young, progressive, attack minded manager who likes to use the youth, much in the mould of Pochettino. Hopefully he goes one further than than him and manages to win cup.

Disagree. Not in the first season. We need to get rid of players and set in place a new way of playing. This is Year Zero stuff we're talking about here.
I take the point Dave, but in the eyes of the footballing world, if we finish lower than 8th then it becomes even more unjustified that we sacked Allardyce and the narrative becomes that we have finished mid table in 4 out of 5 seasons and the only reason we finished higher was because if Allardyce. We need a consistency in our finishing positions, which should be 7/8 place. Slipping back from here and we are 'mid table' in the eyes of most. Sadly we can't slip back and afford Silva any grace period. He has to finish 8th as a minimum with progress towards top 6 then we are 'one to watch' and able to upset the established order. That's where we can attract the best prospects.

I take the point Dave, but in the eyes of the footballing world, if we finish lower than 8th then it becomes even more unjustified that we sacked Allardyce and the narrative becomes that we have finished mid table in 4 out of 5 seasons and the only reason we finished higher was because if Allardyce. We need a consistency in our finishing positions, which should be 7/8 place. Slipping back from here and we are 'mid table' in the eyes of most. Sadly we can't slip back and afford Silva any grace period. He has to finish 8th as a minimum with progress towards top 6 then we are 'one to watch' and able to upset the established order. That's where we can attract the best prospects.
Bollocks to them. They're clueless and dont care about us anyway. We have to stick to a plan and then we'll prosper. We may well get things right quicker than expected. However, if we're not at the races we need to stand firm behind the manager and allow him time to turn a corner.

There is no stomach at the club for any more churn and change, so we all better get on board with this.

Never was too hung up on him even the first time around last season but I'll wipe the slate clean and get behind him now as he's the manager, the managers will come and go but it's Everton that will be always there so onwards and upwards hopefully for the forseeable future

No way Pellegrini is playing it safe, that's got relegation written all over it. Sam Allardyce is playing it safe. Pellegrini struggled to do anything with decent teams and he's about 168 now, no thanks.
I'm pretty happy with Silva he's a young, progressive, attack minded manager who likes to use the youth, much in the mould of Pochettino. Hopefully he goes one further than than him and manages to win cup.

Yeah I'm happy enough too and if it goes well- definitely there's something exciting ahead! Agree West Ham will probably still struggle too, but think he's safe in as much as he'll get you what your squad can get you. Allardyce on the other hand would have torn the squad and potentially more up had he stayed any longer.

Anyway, long live Marco. Hopefully more than a season anyway!

Is it just me or does it look like he’s gone podgey, suppose hes had nothing to do all year but eat.

Needs to get it sorted out, won’t look right with his overcoat and armband.
He might have already had a couple of breakfast meetings with Tubby Ashley.

Status
Not open for further replies.