Sam Allardyce

So, what next?

• IN. Give him a chance and see what he can do?

Votes: 79 8.3%
  • OUT. Thanks but no thanks. See Ya?

Votes: 758 79.3%
  • As ever. Cheese on Toast

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Er, I am a bit scared of us Evertoning this right up.

Votes: 94 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What has he improved on? Dont say 3/4 places in the table. What has he introduced? Amended? Give us some tangible reasons?

Don't say he's improved us 3 or 4 places?

Why? It's true, wether you like it or not.

He's also bought in Walcott and Tosun who have been good signings.

We're not playing great but we've stopped getting smashed by poor teams and we're organised better, even if we play too negatively.

The truth is we were in danger of going down, despite half the forum trying to make out we were always going to stay up.

A lot of fans thought it and the board agreed, which was shown by their appointment of Allardyce.

He hasn't been great and I hope he goes but I don't feel the need to ignore any positives he has or rewrite history in order to back up my beliefs.

From having NO shots at WBA to the Bolasie shot against that lot across the park, yes I can see where you are coming from we have improved.

We certainly went for it against that lot

Our team is woeful and has been under 3 different managers.

I don't want him to stay but Fonseca or whichever manager you want in would struggle to create chances with our team. The players aren't good enough, although I agree we should play more positively.

The argument isn't if we're playing great football, it was wether he has improved us. The fact that people have to start changing subject shows that even they know he has improved us in some ways, even if they can't admit it.

You could argue Sam should have us in 7th place already but you also need to factor in just how many players have underperformed no matter what system they’ve been put in. It’s not like we’ve put a striker in defence and he’s played poorly; simple basic mistakes are plaguing almost everyone.

Hopefully a fresh start for everyone at the club in the summer.

Has he improved us? Faintly, to the degree where we don't have to bite our nails to the bone for the run-in, but he has offered nothing more.

To be honest, I expected just a little more, even with modest expectations, and knowing the turd squad he inherited. I did think he would try to seize the opportunity in effect to have a free swing in the bigger games and try and play with positivity and intent. Surely, he above everyone else, knew his grip on the job was tenuous to say the least even before he set foot in GP that evening for the WHU game.

He hasn't offered anything I've seen to make the question of another season come up in debate, nothing close. If he looks at himself honestly, I can't see how he can think justifiably that he really grasped the nettle here and tried, at the very least tried, to make a silk purse from a sows ear. I can't see that at all.

He had to do much, much better than the bare minimum to have even a slither of a chance at winning over the majority. If he stays, he might eke out another marginal improvement, but no more. He has proved his doubters right, definitively. His approach and attitude is simply too dour, too cautious, and too much to avoid defeat at all costs.

They can keep him - but all that ensures is that the mood of depression and despair around the club will just continue into next season. We have fundamental problems to deal with and keeping Allardyce does nothing other than postponing having to deal with the inevitable. Best done sooner than later.

Anyone with a Times sub, pls

He’s gotten bits and pieces in the past because he’s written books but I’m pretty sure he’s been wrong more than right.

Monday, May 14, 2018: a date which should be ringed in blue at Everton.

Not because it will mark the end of a traumatic season, although that is ample enough reason. But, rather, it must signal the start of a move to unify a club fragmented by discord at present.

Farhad Moshiri, Everton’s major shareholder, has endured testing times since buying his stake two years ago, but the real difficulty lies in getting a succession of key decisions right over the coming weeks in order to give the club a chance to stride purposefully forward.

Everton’s CEO Robert Elstone is leaving for rugby league and a role with Super League and a replacement needs to be identified. Decisions need to be made over the future of the director of football Steve Walsh, and the reshaping of the playing squad.

And, to begin with, there needs to be clarity over the manager’s position.

There was another example of Sam Allardyce’s flawed relationship with the club last weekend when he was discussing the prospect of Davy Klaassen, the £23.5 million signing whose sole contribution to the Merseyside derby was his family’s sponsorship of the match ball, being granted some minutes in the coming week.

Allardyce explained he wanted to pick the Holland midfielder but added he did not have the “luxury” of doing so. “If we lose, it’s me that gets the stick,” he opined.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fea35925e-3e35-11e8-b8eb-a2b1e54e4e88.jpg

Rooney showed his frustration with Allardyce when he was substituted against Liverpool last weekendPA
The Everton manager’s default position whenever any mention of discontent over his reign has been raised has been to dismiss its significance. The grumbling, he said, is confined to the world of social media, to the prism of Twitter and Facebook, and not truly representative.

Yet saying his own reputation was more important than nurturing that of Klaassen not only felt small-minded, but it took a sledgehammer to his own argument.

If he had stated his focus was on reeling in Leicester City and Burnley over the remaining five games, and that grabbing the additional £4 million prize money on offer precluded experiments then that would have been more acceptable.

The reasoning had to be about what is best for Everton not Allardyce (who is clearly still under the impression he can safeguard his position with a few wins between now and the end of the season).

Allardyce has done what was asked of him since arriving in November, but he has not gone the extra mile. The situation in which he finds himself immersed is symptomatic of deep-rooted issues throughout the club where the disconnect seeps through at most levels.

A recent visitor to the training complex at Finch Farm, one with Everton links, said the atmosphere was noxious.

Patience is in short supply at all football clubs, but the first sign of a downturn at Everton and, generally, there is no way back. Roberto Martinez reached two cup semi-finals, and the last 16 in the Europa League in 2015-16, but was sacked because the crowd and some players believed his tenure had run its course.

This season Goodison Park has witnessed The People versus Ronald Koeman, The People versus Morgan Schneiderlin. Let’s hope we are not seeing the start of The People versus Yannick Bolasie because that would be harsh given the winger, whose substitution last weekend against Liverpool was cheered, is still coming back from a career-threatening injury.

Simmering in the background is Wayne Rooney versus Allardyce, the former England captain’s relationship with the manager is clearly under strain following his substitution against Liverpool having failed to last beyond the hour-mark against Manchester City the previous week.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa0884f9c-3e36-11e8-b8eb-a2b1e54e4e88.jpg

Moshiri, right, the club’s major shareholder, has a decision to make over the future of Allardyce at the end of the seasonALEX LIVESEY/GETTY IMAGES
Overall, it is Big Sam versus the world and the cynicism towards him does not feel conducive to lasting improvement at a club trying to regain its passion behind a united cause.

Moshiri will be aware of the candidates present elsewhere. Marco Silva is still out of work with Everton having been prepared to pay up to £15 million for him last November when he was at Watford and Paulo Fonseca is coming to the end of his contract with Shakhtar Donetsk. Three of the managers contacted before Koeman’s appointment could also be available in Unai Emery, Manuel Pellegrini and David Moyes.

Yet whoever Moshiri entrusts with leading the club forward must be ready to get to work next month alongside the director of football if Everton are persisting with that model.

Either Walsh stays or he is replaced by PSV Eindhoven’s sporting director, Marcel Brands. The idea that the two will work together feels like a fudge, complicating a process that has gone horribly awry since Moyes and chairman Bill Kenwright, and initially Martinez-Kenwright, worked together.

Bucket-loads of cash will not necessarily be the panacea this summer even though any assumption that the nucleus at Everton is good enough is a leap of faith. Trimming back a bloated squad will be easier said than achieved.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F1167f574-3a99-11e8-9a8f-0b0aae019371.jpg

Karius proves his worth to earn a point for Liverpool
But all these decisions must come together by mid-May and not late June/July as was the case with the appointments of Koeman/Walsh in 2016. Put simply there is too much to do. Everton are at a pivotal juncture. The vision must become clear.

Across Stanley Park, Liverpool are basking in the limelight this week following progress into the Champions League semi-finals, but Fenway Sports Group are in their eighth year of ownership and would look back now at early decisions (Damien Comolli in and out, Kenny Dalglish in and out) and accept the strategy was initially muddled.

The extent of the problem is such that the most popular figure at Everton right now is Dan Meis.

If he was the young winger Walsh had recruited under the radar during that £200 million spending spree that would be permissible. But Meis is an American architect who is designing Everton’s new stadium. He has just got an Everton tattoo with the number “1878” (which signifies the year the club was founded) inked onto his arm.

The grand plan is for the ground at Bramley Moore dock to be ready for 2022, but dreaming of four years’ time is no longer an option. It is about the present and, specifically, May 14.

Don't say he's improved us 3 or 4 places?

Why? It's true, wether you like it or not.

He's also bought in Walcott and Tosun who have been good signings.

We're not playing great but we've stopped getting smashed by poor teams and we're organised better, even if we play too negatively.

The truth is we were in danger of going down, despite half the forum trying to make out we were always going to stay up.

A lot of fans thought it and the board agreed, which was shown by their appointment of Allardyce.

He hasn't been great and I hope he goes but I don't feel the need to ignore any positives he has or rewrite history in order to back up my beliefs.
You're kind of doing exactly that though? You're putting forward the idea of us getting 'smashed by poor teams' as if it was a recurring issue which needed addressing, when in reality what you mean is 'we got battered by Southampton'. He hasn't stopped it because it only happened once.

I also think saying we're better organised is a huge leap. We didn't look very organised when we lost 6 consecutive away games by an aggregate score of 16-4, or when we only had about 3% possession against City because we literally couldn't string 2 passes together, or when we were quite comprehensively outplayed, at home, by a team which has only won 1 of its last 30 games.

Allardyce has done what he needed to do by getting enough points on the board to not have to worry about relegation. He hasn't done a terrible job, but I don't see any need to credit him as he's not achieved any more than the bare minimum.

Best bit of that poorly written article that tells us nothing is Elstone is gone.

Fair point - there is nothing new in there apart from the absurd mention of Moyes in the list of prospective managers. A bit disappointing from Joyce as he usually has a few nuggets of info buried in his articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.