Holgate Racially Abused By Firmino - The Guardian

Status
Not open for further replies.
The statement from the FA has basically said there’s not enough evidence to prove he did day it and not enough to prove that Mason made it up either. So in the absence we are left with whether you believe Holgate or Firmino and some of you have all too gleefully jumped on the I told you so train and backed Firmino.

Liverpool backed their player publicly before the inquiry during and after, Liverpool fans maintained their players innocence despite no evidence before during and after. Everton refuses to publicly support Holgate at any point throughout the process and some Everton fans refused to back him too, whether you like it or not this in a nutshell is the fundamental difference between the two teams. Whether it’s this incident or anything else one club and set of fans will stop at nothing to set the narrative the way they want whilst the other club is quite happy for them to do it as they have no interest in competing and as soon as fans question this lack of desire to compete they’re piped down by other fans along the lines of ‘embarassing’ ‘kopite behaviour’ etc.

The FA verdict has changed nothing. We didn’t know before what happened, and the FA have confirmed we never now will. In what should be an impasse though Liverpool backed by the media have claimed a moral victory whilst Everton have turned an impasse into a humiliation for one of their players. Anyone who points this out though is apparently a massive cringe and embarassing.
Spot on.

The FA conclusion I can accept. I'm not happy about how long it took to get to the point where they can't say either way but that's out of Everyone's control.

What I am not happy with is the public support of Holgate by Everton. I have no idea how he has been supported out of the public eye and it may be exemplary by the club, but to anyone looking in, would they think Everton was backing their man or keeping the pressure on the FA? I wouldn't. Best of the rest who don't think they can win anything against the sky 6, that's us all right.

Disappointed that Firmino wasn’t nominated for an award at the BATAs the other night, for that exaggerated launching of himself over the barrier and into the crowd routine.

Even in my twilight years, I’m certain I could have prevented that happening.

I’m beginning to wonder whether it was contrived to get Mason sent off, although the FA would no doubt try and convince me otherwise.

In all seriousness I think "insufficent evidence" was the phrase used because "no evidence" would imply they were dismissing Holgate's testimony.

Still not sure why they wont release the footage.

so Holgate has been left out to be hung by the kopites, they are all calling for a ban and assorts on twitter, what they are not seeing though is at no point have the FA said it didn't happen. the evidence wasn't sufficient enough to bring a charge not that it didn't happen.

I think it was better our club said nothing rather than release a statement, to me it speaks more they haven't released anything

be interesting to see if its brought up in press conference with Big Sam

What insulting people whilst playing football? yeah it is pretty standard, unless you are a nappy wearing, mummy's boy leftie, in which case I am sure you will be mortified by such outrageous behaviour :coffee:
Left-wing politics have nothing to do with it. Sure, tempers flare on the pitch, it happens all the time, and players like to mess with each other's heads. I bet Jamie Carragher, Steven Naismith and Big Nev have all done it. Doesn't make racism OK.

It's not the fact Mason was mistaken that gets me, it's the way Liverpool fans are reacting. If I was a BNP supporter I'd probably feel the same way.

This whole episode has never been about race for RS fans, it's been Liverpool v Everton. They seriously don't care about the racist aspect, why would they? They celebrate murder like a badge of honour.

I think the response has been disgusting and nowhere have i seen one iota of praise for Holgate speaking out. The response by Liverpool fans has not been what you would expect if a human being though, they're sick. Brewster has got to wonder what kind of support he'll receive. He receives it because he's a Liverpool player in their eyes, not because they care about stamping out racism.

In all seriousness I think "insufficent evidence" was the phrase used because "no evidence" would imply they were dismissing Holgate's testimony.

Still not sure why they wont release the footage.
If they release it and it doesn't prove anything, then it shows that the FA was right in its conclusion. The only reason not to release it is because it would show one party was in the right. I am presuming that the FA has came to the right conclusion, albeit at a glacial pace, and that this will soon blow over. If some video footage leaks out, and if it's got the potential to cause uproar, it will eventually out, then better to get it out in an orderly manner with an explanation of what is in it, if anything, and show there is no cover up.

So the people who jumped the gun and ran their mouths off are not now eating humble pie. What a surprise.

Maybe you should of just showed a bit of patience and you know waited for some actual evidence.

Now it is everyone else's fault, wild conspiracy theories are being thrown about and guess what the same mistakes are being repeated. If anyone has any actual evidence for these wild allegations then please post it is not then just shut up and stop embarrassing yourself and dragging the fan bases name through the mud.

It shouldn't be a race to the bottom.

Some daft things posted on this thread but how can you and certain other posters try and claim some sort of victory with this outcome and make out like you've been proven right?

What you and their support on Social Media aren't acknowledging is that the FA have said that they don't believe Holgate made it up. They can't charge Firmino without proper evidence. That doesn't mean they know if he did or didn't racially abuse him, just that they cannot prove it.

Mistakes being repeated is an amusing dig as well. Liverpool fans came out instantly to defend their player without the full facts available, insulted the potential victim and even went and found tweets from his past because he dared to speak out. They still don't know the facts and are calling for him to be banned. Not like them to behave in such a way though.

The sad thing is you are unprepared to debate and are just resorting to slagging people off

In short get a life or get some help.

Blackadder-Confused-Look.gif

Nice one FA. You can bet Holgate's treatment will be in the minds of abused players in the future.

View attachment 44401
View attachment 44402
View attachment 44403
View attachment 44404
View attachment 44405
View attachment 44406
This is the photo that will be shown whenever this comes up. Who looks guilty in it? Who is tainted by the claims of racism? Long term, Holgate will be seen as someone who said he was racially abused in a period when it was rife, and the FA hadn't come to terms with how to deal with such accusations yet. Long term this is worse for Firmino, it'll always be bought up about him whenever people discuss him, if they ever do, after he has retired from football.

If FSG feel there's anything in it, they'll get shut of him, like they did Suarez. A good price and the brand is clean, and move on after an emotional farewell. That will be the big tell about this for me now- how little fight they put up if someone comes in for him - worth a cheeky lowish ball offer if your from one of the European big boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.