2017/18 Nikola Vlasic

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to play better when he gets his chance too.

He has done alright, shown some flashes but its not like he has made himself undroppable either.

He hasn't really been given much of a chance since Koeman left though has he? Since the Arsenal game when Koeman was sacked, Vlasic has played:

20 mins v Lyon away
Didn't play in the next 2 games
30 mins v Atalanta home
15 mins v Southampton away
1 min v West Ham home
90 mins v Limassol away
30 mins v Newcastle away
Didn't play in the next 4 games
90 mins v Man Utd home
45 mins v West Brom home

So in 23 matches since Koeman, he has started twice and played a full half once. I think Unsworth and Allardyce have handled Vlasic and Lookman poory on the basis that they don't put in enough work defensively. Hasn't exactly been justified when the players chosen ahead have been part of a 4-1 humiliation at Southampton, and 4-0 and 5-1 at Spurs and Arsenal, plus numerous other poor results.

He hasn't really been given much of a chance since Koeman left though has he? Since the Arsenal game when Koeman was sacked, Vlasic has played:

20 mins v Lyon away
30 mins v Atalanta home
1 min v West Ham home
90 mins v Limassol away
30 mins v Newcastle away
90 mins v Man Utd home
45 mins v West Brom home

So in 23 matches since Koeman, he has started twice and played a full half once. I think Unsworth and Allardyce have handled Vlasic and Lookman poory on the basis that they don't put in enough work defensively. Hasn't exactly been justified when the players chosen ahead have been part of a 4-1 humiliation at Southampton, and 4-0 and 5-1 at Spurs and Arsenal, plus numerous other poor results.

True but no manager avoids picking players for a laugh. There will be reasons why he is not getting a game.

He is still young too, he has shown his potential in some games and at other times he has been pretty ordinary. If he is good enough his chance will come.

True but no manager avoids picking players for a laugh. There will be reasons why he is not getting a game.

He is still young too, he has shown his potential in some games and at other times he has been pretty ordinary. If he is good enough his chance will come.

I agree there but it's frustrating to think that Vlasic can be justifiably not given much of a chance due to weaknesses in his game, yet plenty of other players seem to have failed in what is expected of them yet get given loads of chances. The only thing I can think of is his attitude, but that would also suggest Lookman has the same issue.

What I think is more likely is that we have had managers with this narrow minded view that only young players that have it in them to work hardest for the team will get more opportunities. I can understand that to an extent but they need to realise that although someone like Calvert-Lewin may work harder than a Lookman, Lookman has attributes that DCL doesn't that can be used to the benefit of the team. It goes for a lot of the players and the right balance of flair and hard work is needed throughout the team. It shouldn't all be based on just the most hard working/experienced players getting a game.

If Lookman and Vlasic were older, say 26/27 I reckon they'd have been selected by Unsworth and Allardyce. They select Bolasie and Mirallas because they have experience, ignoring the flaws in their game in my opinion.

I agree there but it's frustrating to think that Vlasic can be justifiably not given much of a chance due to weaknesses in his game, yet plenty of other players seem to have failed in what is expected of them yet get given loads of chances. The only thing I can think of is his attitude, but that would also suggest Lookman has the same issue.

What I think is more likely is that we have had managers with this narrow minded view that only young players that have it in them to work hardest for the team will get more opportunities. I can understand that to an extent but they need to realise that although someone like Calvert-Lewin may work harder than a Lookman, Lookman has attributes that DCL doesn't that can be used to the benefit of the team. It goes for a lot of the players and the right balance of flair and hard work is needed throughout the team. It shouldn't all be based on just the most hard working/experienced players getting a game.

If Lookman and Vlasic were older, say 26/27 I reckon they'd have been selected by Unsworth and Allardyce. They select Bolasie and Mirallas because they have experience, ignoring the flaws in their game in my opinion.
Lookman and Vlasic fail to impress. Deserved more of a chance, but it's partially understandable in my opinion. Come back stronger next season.

20 mins v Lyon away
30 mins v Atalanta home
1 min v West Ham home
90 mins v Limassol away
30 mins v Newcastle away
90 mins v Man Utd home
45 mins v West Brom home

Yea and we know Big Sam treats the games against the top teams as dead rubbers which is the only reason he played against Man Utd.

He's getting the Deulofeu treatment. Starts against the hardest teams and only is brought on when needing to salvage points. So basically we only see him when things aren't going well.

Reactions: gmb

I've been really impressed with some of his attacking play, but defensively he's been appalling and he seems to have Deulofeu lungs which give way after 60 minutes. I'd like to have seen him on the bench more but I can definitely see why he's not been starting because it's honestly a long time since I saw anyone as defensively clueless as him. He just doesn't seem to understand defensive situations at all.

So far I agree with the majority he is a one way player. Puts a good shift in attack but sorely lacking on his defensive duties. I think Lennon busted a gut every time he played I haven't seen this in Vlasic or even Lookman so far. Still on the learning curve though.

Lookman and Vlasic fail to impress. Deserved more of a chance, but it's partially understandable in my opinion. Come back stronger next season.

I think Vlasic was one of the only positives in the early part of the season. Lookman has moments of brilliance and has provided evidence of it in recent months - Anfield away, his debut goal for Leipzig. That's more than the experienced players like Bolasie and Mirallas have done recently yet they have been given far more chances than the other 2.

One of my biggest fears from this season is that we've gone and alienated players like this lad and Lookman. Need a manager in the summer who will give these players opportunities to develop.

..I suspect Allardyce feels hasn’t had the luxury of giving players a run in the side given we were bottom 3 when he was appointed. Let’s not forget the perilous position we were in. He might’ve been picking sides geared to scrapping and picking up much needed points.

Pretty much sum it up in that mate. Far too many (new) players deemed not good enough for the team that has got beaten by 4 or more goals over 10 times this season.

That's what winds me up so much about it if I give it a seconds thought. Klassen vlasic sandro tosun all deemed not a better alternative in a team that has performed the worst I have seen since the 90s, 2004 aside. Lookman not given much of a chance over a returning bolasie for example but German team Leipzig happy to play and even start him over there.

And as I have said before isn't it funny the only players who aren't good enough out of every single one signed since the summer are the ones who came from outside the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.