New Everton Stadium Discussion

I dont say it's not going to happen. I think the Everton CEO used the term 'challenging'. My conclusion is that it's fanciful. Can it go ahead? I suppose so. But it's going to be a long hard slog. My guess is that it'll face a lot of opposition and the cost in the end will be prohibitive. Then ditched.

If we end up in a ridiculous, massive stadium on the banks of the Mersey, will you finally cheer up a bit?

You can look at what may or may not happen with the Stadium, whether Joe will be able to wangle the financing, whether Mosh will stump up the rest of the cash, whether it will affect the UNESCO status.

The thing is that is all irrelevant when it comes down to it, the only things that matters are the numbers. Whether the numbers add up or not.

The harsh truth is that the numbers simply don't add up. Over the last few years the attendances have gone up. Last year we averaged over 39000 for the first time in the Premier League era and guess what our matchday income fell again. We had 99% occupancy last season but earned a paltry £14m. Less than we earned in 2013 and 50% LESS THAN WE EARNED IN 2015.

Think about that for a second. We are looking to build a Stadium that will be £500m+ and we have a matchday income of £14m. No wonder Joe is looking to the council to underwrite the loan because there is no way you could build a sensible business plan that would justify a £500m+ loan with our match day income.

We are being sucker punched with a streets paved with gold fantasy.

I hope so sorry to be pessimistic .... 40 years following Everton and all that ...

Same here mate. 40 years that is.

But to me, the Dot to Dot narrative, my experience of commercial property stuff, just everything, screams that the ground is the key to a lot of money to a few people. People that Moshiri almost certainly knows.

I might well win the Tit of the Year if this all goes down the pan, but happy to take that on.

You can look at what may or may not happen with the Stadium, whether Joe will be able to wangle the financing, whether Mosh will stump up the rest of the cash, whether it will affect the UNESCO status.

The thing is that is all irrelevant when it comes down to it, the only things that matters are the numbers. Whether the numbers add up or not.

The harsh truth is that the numbers simply don't add up. Over the last few years the attendances have gone up. Last year we averaged over 39000 for the first time in the Premier League era and guess what our matchday income fell again. We had 99% occupancy last season but earned a paltry £14m. Less than we earned in 2013 and 50% LESS THAN WE EARNED IN 2015.

Think about that for a second. We are looking to build a Stadium that will be £500m+ and we have a matchday income of £14m. No wonder Joe is looking to the council to underwrite the loan because there is no way you could build a sensible business plan that would justify a £500m+ loan with our match day income.

We earned less because we reduced prices.

Well, the Mayor certainly casts a figure as a man doing a lot of backtracking on the issue. Here he is last June speaking to the Guardian:

“Not one person who comes to visit our city comes to see the Unesco certificate on my wall,” he says. “They come to see a vibrant, dynamic city, not one that’s preserved in aspic."

...and today in the Echo: Mayor Joe Anderson said World Heritage status is of "great importance" to the city. "This report shows in great detail the lengths Liverpool has already gone and will continue to go, to balance the needs of a growing city whilst protecting our World Heritage Status"

Something has changed.

I've no more idea than anyone else, but this is politics so I suspect you may be right that something has changed, however I would best guess it is that an agreement has been made behind the scenes that stadium won't affect WHS.

Anderson can say later on 'I told you I would fight tooth and nail to keep WHS and look at how well I have done''

Have you ever thought that match day income doesn’t matter to us and helping the fans out with affordable pricing does?

We’re among the biggest spenders in World football. Making a quick buck doesn’t seem very high on Moshiri’s agenda.

We earned less because we reduced prices.

Or you could say we only filled our current capacity because we sold tickets for £5 or £6. The problem is how we go from that to selling out a 60k Stadium at £40 to £50. Make no mistake the numbers only add up if we can have a matchday income that is around four or five times what we have now. The capacity is only going up by a factor of 1.5 so where does the rest come from.

Some people just cannot help but criticize, even when they don't know the truth. It seems to be the default for many. Always easier to find fault than it is to say 'well done'.

Some call it realism, but it's only that if it is fact. At the moment these fears are based on previous Everton failures, nothing more.

If this doesn't happen, I will be pretty devastated but take it on the chin and accept that Everton are destined for long term mediocrity, that my faith and hope in Moshiri was misplaced and that the 1980s is pretty much all I will ever have to shout about as an Evertonian. It's wearing very thin.

Thing is that is were I have been for the last 20 years so until I hear publicly from the Everton hierarchy that BMD is off then I might as well trust my instinct that this will happen. I have no inside knowledge - just don't think a billionaire and his pals will allow this opportunity to slip from their grasp and they will have been expensively advised all the way along.

We are in the midst of a consultation period - whether genuine or lip service - it has to be completed (23rd Feb) before anything further is released I'd say. Also don't think an expensive architect would still be engaging via Facebook if the plan was dead in the water.

Time to wait and see. The month of March may well tell us a lot more.

Last edited:
Have you ever thought that match day income doesn’t matter to us and helping the fans out with affordable pricing does?

We’re among the biggest spenders in World football. Making a quick buck doesn’t seem very high on Moshiri’s agenda.

How do you marry up having a ridiculously expensive world class waterside Stadium and paying affordable prices. I want a Five star all inclusive Holiday on a tranquil Caribbean island for Butlins prices can you help me out with that as well.

As for Moshiri/Usmanov they are hard nosed businessmen who have built up billion pound empires by being absolutely ruthless. Why are we now relying on them turning into soft benefactors willing to subsidise cheap tickets ?

Some people just cannot help but criticize, even when they don't know the truth. It seems to be the default for many. Always easier to find fault than it is to say 'well done'.

Some call it realism, but it's only that if it is fact. At the moment these fears are based on previous Everton failures, nothing more.

If this doesn't happen, I will be pretty devastated but take it on the chin and accept that Everton are destined for long term mediocrity, that my faith and hope in Moshiri was misplaced and that the 1980s is pretty much all I will ever have to shout about as an Evertonian. It's wearing very thin.

Thing is that is were I have been for the last 20 years so until I hear publicly from the Everton hierarchy that BMD is off then I might as well trust my instinct that this will happen. I have no inside knowledge - just don't think a Billionaire and his pals will allow this opportunity to slip from their grasp and they will have been expensively advised all the way along.

We are in the midst of a consultation period - whether genuine or lip service - it has to be completed (23rd Feb) before anything further is released I'd say. Also don't think an expensive architect would still be engaging via Facebook if the plan was dead in the water.

Time to wait and see. The month of March may well tell us a lot more.

What opportunity Liverpool has ridiculously low prices per sqm for both residential and retail properties. Peel has sat on this project for years and put a 50 year plan in place. This isn't a huge gold mine waiting to be exploited this is a huge punt that USM and Peel don't feel is worth the the risk. So guess what they are looking for the Council to borrow the money for them. Yes companies worth billions are asking normal working class people to take the risk whilst they take all the profit.

Or you could say we only filled our current capacity because we sold tickets for £5 or £6. The problem is how we go from that to selling out a 60k Stadium at £40 to £50. Make no mistake the numbers only add up if we can have a matchday income that is around four or five times what we have now. The capacity is only going up by a factor of 1.5 so where does the rest come from.

I don't think ticket prices count for much these days after TV deals, advertising, naming rights and hospitality which would all increase with a decent stadium plus what the use of the stadium makes during summer months for events