ALLARDYCE - Any positives

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few positives I suppose:

He wanted the job - an easy retort here will be "of course he did! £6m p/a" etc., but it's also true he immediately distanced himself from other club management positions since he left Palace. He wanted to be the manager of Everton because he sees us as a big club, the kind of club he's wanted to manage all his career (Newcastle and WHU are not in our stratosphere).

Again, this might not seem like much but it's certainly preferable to a guy telling journalists that it's his dream to manage Barcelona or that Lukaku is too good to stay at Everton. Despite being 63, Allardyce will still feel he has something to prove and it's here that he has the opportunity to do it.

He can work with our DoF - Walsh is immensely unpopular here, I know, but we have to accept that Moshiri is giving him more time in the role. With that in mind, we obviously need a management team that can work together successfully. This appears possible with Allardyce (and Shakespeare to some extent I suppose). We can claim cronyism, of course, but that doesn't necessarily negate a successful working relationship. I know this point will be very quickly shot down - and I'm not particularly sold on it myself - but I'm willing to see what happens in the next transfer window before I form a real opinion.

Defence and tactics generally - our last two permanent managers were sacked when it appeared that we were tactically void and a shambles defensively. This new management team - and I'm pained to include piss-stain Lee in this - has a track record of developing tactics that get the best out of the talent available to them. There are negatives here as well, of course, but, in a thread where we're looking for positives, it's fair to say that this is the biggest pool of talent and resource that Allardyce has ever had, albeit an uneven one. If he is able to drill our defence, select a team that play to the strengths of the personnel, and make the necessary recruitment in January - all things he has shown he is capable of doing - we'll see an upturn in results.

As I said, there are plenty of negatives - including what I think is a main one: it's a deeply unfashionable appointment that makes us look small time when we have been anxiously wanting our status and public perception to appear big time - but I don't think any of the above is untrue, either.

In the kindest light we can shine on the desperate public mess of the last six weeks, this appointment might offer 18 months of careful and considered stability during which a more ambitious and progressive recruitment process can be completed. This happens at board level, with a proper CEO and an owner who is present and has a clear and ruthless ambition.

He wanted the job - an easy retort here will be "of course he did! £6m p/a" etc., but it's also true he immediately distanced himself from other club management positions since he left Palace. He wanted to be the manager of Everton because he sees us as a big club, the kind of club he's wanted to manage all his career (Newcastle and WHU are not in our stratosphere).

Again, this might not seem like much but it's certainly preferable to a guy telling journalists that it's his dream to manage Barcelona or that Lukaku is too good to stay at Everton. Despite being 63, Allardyce will still feel he has something to prove and it's here that he has the opportunity to do it.

He can work with our DoF - Walsh is immensely unpopular here, I know, but we have to accept that Moshiri is giving him more time in the role. With that in mind, we obviously need a management team that can work together successfully. This appears possible with Allardyce (and Shakespeare to some extent I suppose). We can claim cronyism, of course, but that doesn't necessarily negate a successful working relationship. I know this point will be very quickly shot down - and I'm not particularly sold on it myself - but I'm willing to see what happens in the next transfer window before I form a real opinion.

Defence and tactics generally - our last two permanent managers were sacked when it appeared that we were tactically void and a shambles defensively. This new management team - and I'm pained to include piss-stain Lee in this - has a track record of developing tactics that get the best out of the talent available to them. There are negatives here as well, of course, but, in a thread where we're looking for positives, it's fair to say that this is the biggest pool of talent and resource that Allardyce has ever had, albeit an uneven one. If he is able to drill our defence, select a team that play to the strengths of the personnel, and make the necessary recruitment in January - all things he has shown he is capable of doing - we'll see an upturn in results.

As I said, there are plenty of negatives - including what I think is a main one: it's a deeply unfashionable appointment that makes us look small time when we have been anxiously wanting our status and public perception to appear big time - but I don't think any of the above is untrue, either.

In the kindest light we can shine on the desperate public mess of the last six weeks, this appointment might offer 18 months of careful and considered stability during which a more ambitious and progressive recruitment process can be completed. This happens at board level, with a proper CEO and an owner who is present and has a clear and ruthless ambition.
Good piece,I'd just question your comment on Newcastle,as much as we love to hate them would we get +50,000 average gates if we went down to the Championship?

Good post, very well written and argued.

Good piece,I'd just question your comment on Newcastle,as much as we love to hate them would we get +50,000 average gates if we went down to the Championship?

No, but if you discount shirtless, balloon-gutted, horse-punching middle-aged men with homemade tattoos, who appear on the political compass somewhere between Enoch Powell and Hitler's dog - and we should discount these individuals, of course - then their average gate is only 643 people, most of whom are tourists blown into the stadium by a strong breeze.

Football wise I think he has plenty to offer the club. We will be structured and players will know their roles. he won't play 3 in the number 10 role in the same match, defence will know how to defend, we'll be more physical, snidey and dirty. Get used to looking up.

He's just a ghastly man and brought along with him even worse. Positives, there are a few, but really, we are better than this.

His appointment is absolutely drawing the Geordie tendencies amongst our support well and truly into broad daylight.

Look at how Newcastle reacted to his appointment. Look at your reaction. That's right, take a long hard look at yourselves. Self reflection is a positive.

Xxx

Not many have a good record there especially with a typically crap team like he's managed.

His record vs Klopp is good though, played 3, a win a draw and a 1-0 loss

Then again probably because he sets teams up the way that has caused prior to this season the rs a lot of problems, sitting deep, playing for set pieces or the counter etc

His style is the worst for Klopp to play against. Sits deep. Hits balls into Klopps half. Makes Klopps defenders see a lot of the ball. Makes teams cross it. Prioritises set plays.

I don't think we'll win the Derby. However if we can get a decent win Saturday (which we should) we arrive at the Derby in OK form with absolutely no pressure. Not many Everton managers have really known how to utilise that in the past, but by accident Sam will.

All the pressure will be on them. In our monstrosity of a season we have missed out on being able to get any enjoyment from them. They have snuck through a very weak Champions League group. They are 14 points off the top, nowhere near the title and may not finish top 4. They finish 4-6th again. That's with Salah being the most effective player in the league.

Given their shaky away record they need to beat us. Allardyce will make the game as annoying and irritating as possible. If we fluke a goal off a set piece (very possible) who knows.

I think it’s not just about crowds. When have the geordies got close to winning even an argument in the last hundred years?

I think it’s not just about crowds. When have the geordies got close to winning even an argument in the last hundred years?
I mean they do have titles in the last 100 years.

And won the Championship the other season, so...

Oh also
166562.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.