Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the manager wants a new striker, I know the fans do, I know I do; not sure when I've ever said anything remotely different. My point was merely financial and what our fan base considers an acceptable transfer or not.
But you're saying the reason fans don't see Sandro as a Lukaku replacement is because of his price. I'm saying it's not, it's because he's not a Lukaku replacement and the manager has told us so.

Fans love cheap signings - if they're good. Cahill wouldn't have got a tenth of the praise from us if we'd spunked £100m on him, Coleman can't walk down the road without people crowing about how little we paid for him. Sigurdsson on the other hand has it all on to prove that he's a decent signing simply because we paid a lot for him.

Even the post that started this off didn't say we needed to pay £50m, just that we needed someone of £50m quality.

Disagree. This comes out every year as if we're all idiots who just like to get excited on deadline day.

In my opinion, at this moment in time we are weaker than we were at the end of last season. Goals win games, and we're going to struggle to get them. It wouldn't matter when our other business was done, a quality striker to replace Lukaku is the major priority this window, and it needs to be done very quickly.
Disagree back. My post isn't about idiots or getting excited. They're your words not mine. It's about perceptions and how they are affected by our emotions. IMO, had we made all those transfers in the last week, most fans current mood would have been more upbeat than it is currently (mine included by the way), and that would reflect on their perception of the window. That's my opinion. If you don't agree with it that's fine. But no need for the accusations that I'm treating you all like idiots, which your post suggests. In any event, the descriptive word I used was "decent". Look it up and you'll see words like, passable, adequate, average etc. Not exactly over praising am I?.

I fully agree with you about not replacing Lukaku though. No excuse for it and now so little time to do much about it either. It does make the starting XI weaker than last season for the reasons you say, but the squad overall has improved with 3 of the 4 key positions identified at the start of the year being addressed with high quality players.

I wish success in the league came first. Cause if it did, given the length of Lukaku's contract, we would have just hung onto him for one more season. Sulking or not he'd at least be an extra 15 goals and we'd have a much better chance of leap frogging United.

Either we don't value success over all or we are skint. Still.

Last edited:

Just about the only thing there is universal agreement about is that we need a striker.

I don't know which strikers we tried to sign and were rebuffed or indeed which strikers we have an interest in.

The only player that was loosely linked to us was Costa because Koeman answered a question by stating that good players were always welcome at Goodison and Costa is a good player... I am not sure if that is a declaration of interest or not.

The manager has clearly said he wants to sign a striker , I think that we know who we want and talks are on going .
My belief is that it may well be Bathsuayi, because he already said he need to play more at Chelsea in a World Cup year and is now probably third choice at best behind Morata and now Llorente......the possible sale of Barkley means the two clubs are talking transfers already anyway.

I think the Sanchez, Oxlade Chamberlain situation at Arsenal means that any chance there was of signing Giroud is now 100% dead. The fans would riot if he were sold as well.

I don't think Vardy is feasible as Leicester are already selling other players and will not want to lose him, but Slimani may just be a possibility and James McCarthy may be a factor there ...although I think the manager wants to keep him.

William Jose, maybe ?
Raul Jiminez, unlikely , I think.

I know we have been linked with players from Watford, Cardiff and other clubs but I think that is idle speculation.

Definitely be a few leaving Flabby Khazri will be away and wouldn't be surprised to see Kone off to WBA or a similar sort of club also talk of Ndong being sold

Bring in £25m'ish for these and Grayson might get £500k to play with
That bad eh?. Looks like it's going to be a hard year for you mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.