2017/18 Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags was never a fixture, he was always on the outskirts behind the likes of Terry and Cahill, Stones never played regularly for England until he joined City, Barkley has never had a consistent run, Osman had one call up and both Baines and Jags were scapegoated for the 2014 World Cup almost solely down to them being Everton players

I simply will not budge on this
Jags 'never a fixture' but did play 40 times for England.....

The Ross Barkley 2017/18 season thread is now 215 pages long. And he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for Everton since May lol
Yes, I am not sure the Liverpool underworld would be too happy to have been talked about so much on a football forum. Goosing that gangster's moll wasn't the smartest thing Rosscoe's ever done lol

Hard to understand what Ross gains from all of this. Dark days for him right now. Although self induced, prior to this he was a good servant to the club. Feel a bit sorry for him but if he gets a transfer and 100k a week then hopefully he'll feel bad for me too.

I wouldn't say that. Most ENGLISH Evertonians probably care about Everton primarily, but also care how their national side gets on. And any Everton players in the England squad from now on will be the tappers up, not the tapped up.
I agree. Whilst the mighty Three Lions are a far distant second to my football interest/passion in Everton, I still support them quite keenly at important tournaments. I recall being very disconsolate when Maradona knocked us out of Mexico WC. Mind you, with Lineker, Reid, Steven and Stevens in the XI, I had more than the usual interested 'skin in the game'.

As it stands he's far better in this league than Klassen and as such I sort of miss him now. Klassen will be given time to improve and rightly so but we could've used Ross against City.

Jags was never a fixture, he was always on the outskirts behind the likes of Terry and Cahill, Stones never played regularly for England until he joined City, Barkley has never had a consistent run, Osman had one call up and both Baines and Jags were scapegoated for the 2014 World Cup almost solely down to them being Everton players

I simply will not budge on this
100% agree on this, but there is history here, Howard Kendall never got a call up. Mexico 86 had quite a few but the quality we had then couldn't be ignored
However Barkley dosent get game time because he isn't good enough and couldn't cope with the pressure of the international stage, even if he went to City Chelsea or United he still wouldn't get taken

I wouldn't say that. Most ENGLISH Evertonians probably care about Everton primarily, but also care how their national side gets on. And any Everton players in the England squad from now on will be the tappers up, not the tapped up.

I would say "ENGLISH Evertonians" from outside the city of Liverpool and greater Merseyside area are more likely to be big England fans than those of us raised within.

Particularly our southern based brethren :)

But whether Scouse or not, I can't see any Evertonian not care about Everton primarily over England.....nor indeed the national team of wherever our worldwide fan base is domiciled.

That would be bizarre to me :Blink:

100% agree on this, but there is history here, Howard Kendall never got a call up. Mexico 86 had quite a few but the quality we had then couldn't be ignored
However Barkley dosent get game time because he isn't good enough and couldn't cope with the pressure of the international stage, even if he went to City Chelsea or United he still wouldn't get taken

You see, that's where this argument shoots itself in its own foot, Carlin.

When we have players of sufficient quality they are called up to the national team.

No England manager says "oh, I won't pick him because he plays for Everton".

The England World Cup squad of 1970 had four Everton players.....Ball, Labone, Tommy Wright and Keith Newton.

Only Leeds had as many players in the squad.

And it would have been five but for Gordon West opting out.

We were champions that year ergo the quality of our squad was good and this was reflected in the national squad.

Ditto, in 1986 we had the best team in Europe IMO and would have proved it on the pitch but that, alas, is another story :mad:

In between and pretty much subsequently we have not had a particularly high class of English player and that has been reflected on the international squad......but those whom were good enough have been called up.

Rooney, Jags, Baines, Stones, Barkley et al.

And I am still wracking my brain trying to think of any English player at Everton this century who wrongly missed out on a cap.

Ossie has a couple FCOL :dance:

Yes, Howard was unlucky not to pick up a cap or two but back then there were far fewer internationals played, only one sub was allowed and the squads were much smaller.

But Howard did not miss out because he played for Everton....at that time one of the most glamourous and successful teams in England.

There were some cracking wing halves adjudged to be ahead of him unfortunately.

And you are right about Barkley.....it is his own inconsistency which has seen him lose his England place,

He would have lost it no matter which team he played for.

Status
Not open for further replies.