Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't see out games like this. I'm not sure whether I see it as a slight on the manager or it's just down to the players not being good enough.

For me, their goal just looked inevitable. We had no control in the middle of the park and when you're letting the players they've got get plenty of chances you're going to be punished.

Tactics were spot on in my opinion. He put the best team out for the job and we got a good point.

Still can't see out games like this. I'm not sure whether I see it as a slight on the manager or it's just down to the players not being good enough.

For me, their goal just looked inevitable. We had no control in the middle of the park and when you're letting the players they've got get plenty of chances you're going to be punished.

Tactics were spot on in my opinion. He put the best team out for the job and we got a good point.

There was always a sense of inevitability about it wasn't there. Getting a couple of wins away at any of the top 6 from last season would suggest progress. Rooney will bring that confidence to do so too.

We started defending deep, as you would do away at city.
When we got to half-time 1 nil up and a player up, I thought he'd take Morgs off and bring Gylfi on, if only because I felt the ref would 'balance' the sending off.
Going to a back 4 didn't change much for us because we didn't impose the extra man superiority.
I thought he'd bring Lookman or Mirallas on, just to give them something different to think about, rather than how they'd get through us.
We did a 'Moyes' job but, I've seen Mourinho set is team up like that also, so a point away at city..would've taken it before the match.
Not totally inspired that we can get top 4 with that approach though?
DCL as a 9, showed he has potential to do it and played really well.
Holgate, was good apart from 'that' header.
Jags, was awesome, I thought.
Schneiderlin was restricted after the booking and Gylfi didn't have much impact.
Early days but, maybe a bit more positivity would help the players push on and believe?

There was always a sense of inevitability about it wasn't there. Getting a couple of wins away at any of the top 6 from last season would suggest progress. Rooney will bring that confidence to do so too.

So frustrating because it was there for us tonight but once again we became allergic to the ball. Our centre mids need to take responsibility and do that. Felt like they didn't impose themselves enough on the game with twenty to go.

Would have taken a point going into it, it just hurts to lose a lead we had for so much of the match in the final 10 minutes. City are much improved over last year. I don't think there will be many sides who get even a point out of that place.

Thursday is the most important game of the project so far. Have to advance to the group stage. It will change the dynamic in the last week of the window and may be the difference between getting a player we want, and not getting them.

We started defending deep, as you would do away at city.
When we got to half-time 1 nil up and a player up, I thought he'd take Morgs off and bring Gylfi on, if only because I felt the ref would 'balance' the sending off.
Going to a back 4 didn't change much for us because we didn't impose the extra man superiority.
I thought he'd bring Lookman or Mirallas on, just to give them something different to think about, rather than how they'd get through us.
We did a 'Moyes' job but, I've seen Mourinho set is team up like that also, so a point away at city..would've taken it before the match.
Not totally inspired that we can get top 4 with that approach though?
DCL as a 9, showed he has potential to do it and played really well.
Holgate, was good apart from 'that' header.
Jags, was awesome, I thought.
Schneiderlin was restricted after the booking and Gylfi didn't have much impact.
Early days but, maybe a bit more positivity would help the players push on and believe?

We were 1-0 up and although City were dominating possession and had a few good chances, we were in a good position. The sending off in a bizarre way works against Koeman- simply because he doesn't react correctly. But that's quite understandable, he's set us up incredibly well and the plan is working. It would be hard not to resist changing a winning formula. Unfortunately I think he needed to be a little more ruthless and a little more assertive. As it was we ended up conceding more and more possession and it felt inevitable that a goal was coming. Even if your plan is to play on the counter falling back that deep just invites too much pressure and eventually something gives. The plan with the subs wasn't exactly clear either but at least Gylfi got a run out; it's a shame he can't play Thursday, as he needs match fitness.

We'd have all taken the point beforehand, but to beat the top teams and belong in their company you have to go in for the kill when you're 1-0 up and have a man advantage. Something similar happens in a game last year between city and Burnley at the etihad. City went down to ten men with the score at 0-0, but Burnley didn't respond accordingly and City won the game. Winning mentality/ruthless streak- hopefully we develop ours. We did better than Burnley, but the best teams overcome disadvantages and make advantages count.

Even if your plan is to play on the counter falling back that deep just invites too much pressure and eventually something gives. The plan with the subs wasn't exactly clear either

I think the idea was to bolster the counter-attack, but in so doing it changed the defensive shape and City had more chances and even more of the ball, so it didn't matter.

it's a shame he can't play Thursday, as he needs match fitness.

Gylfi can play Thursday. You're allowed one late add after the deadline.

Same stuff, different year.

Oh and £200million.

Moyes also struggled to get results against top side's down to 10men. But that was always down to the squad options.

Ronko has bought, left out players, sold players. Still get the same results.

Some truth in that to be fair. I thought tonight was a good result, but there's still a big gap in the quality of the players on the pitch. I've no idea what the stats show, but, coming away tonight I felt City could, and probably should, have scored more than one.

For me, Koeman sits somewhere between Moyes and Martinez in his attitude. He's pragmatic enough to recognise he needs to set us up quite defensively against the likes of Citeh, but, like Martinez and unlike Moyes, he believes he can actually achieve something at our club.

Whether or not he will, time will tell and all that.

We were 1-0 up and although City were dominating possession and had a few good chances, we were in a good position. The sending off in a bizarre way works against Koeman- simply because he doesn't react correctly. But that's quite understandable, he's set us up incredibly well and the plan is working. It would be hard not to resist changing a winning formula. Unfortunately I think he needed to be a little more ruthless and a little more assertive. As it was we ended up conceding more and more possession and it felt inevitable that a goal was coming. Even if your plan is to play on the counter falling back that deep just invites too much pressure and eventually something gives. The plan with the subs wasn't exactly clear either but at least Gylfi got a run out; it's a shame he can't play Thursday, as he needs match fitness.

We'd have all taken the point beforehand, but to beat the top teams and belong in their company you have to go in for the kill when you're 1-0 up and have a man advantage. Something similar happens in a game last year between city and Burnley at the etihad. City went down to ten men with the score at 0-0, but Burnley didn't respond accordingly and City won the game. Winning mentality/ruthless streak- hopefully we develop ours. We did better than Burnley, but the best teams overcome disadvantages and make advantages count.

So Riddick follows you and you follow Death?

The much said - Holgate played a great game but made 1 mistake.
How does this apply to Ronnie.
Played a great game tactically but but got punished by a player's mistake.
So apart from that he was tactically spot on. And more.

To argue 'Going to a back 4 didn't change much for us because we didn't impose the extra man superiority'
Well 1. He wasn't going to throw the game away by getting stretched and allowing the talent of City to razzle dazzle after we got excited and pushed forward. He's not going to let that happen. The team is on a journey. If he had try to 'impose the superiority' with young lads and it had backfired, well, there'd be a gushing of crap.
2. Pep had options too and Pep could have exposed Ev 'imposing' themselves.
3. It did open up because his back 4 is more open than his 3-5. The squad just doesn't have the LB, Striker to really take advantage. But he still had a go anyway.
4. He gave Holgate and CL game time in their positions, he trusted them against the so called premiership favourites. He has the balls to bring these lads on. He showed faith. They gained massive experience in this game. And their better for it. Ie, Not only did they get a draw away to City the team the team, squad and Everton are improved.

Moyes wouldn't have had the balls.

The much said - Holgate played a great game but made 1 mistake.
How does this apply to Ronnie.
Played a great game tactically but but got punished by a player's mistake.
So apart from that he was tactically spot on. And more.

To argue 'Going to a back 4 didn't change much for us because we didn't impose the extra man superiority'
Well 1. He wasn't going to throw the game away by getting stretched and allowing the talent of City to razzle dazzle after we got excited and pushed forward. He's not going to let that happen. The team is on a journey. If he had try to 'impose the superiority' with young lads and it had backfired, well, there'd be a gushing of crap.
2. Pep had options too and Pep could have exposed Ev 'imposing' themselves.
3. It did open up because his back 4 is more open than his 3-5. The squad just doesn't have the LB, Striker to really take advantage. But he still had a go anyway.
4. He gave Holgate and CL game time in their positions, he trusted them against the so called premiership favourites. He has the balls to bring these lads on. He showed faith. They gained massive experience in this game. And their better for it. Ie, Not only did they get a draw away to City the team the team, squad and Everton are improved.

Moyes wouldn't have had the balls.

As long as RK gave us a tactical masterclass and a point, all's well with the world.

Some truth in that to be fair. I thought tonight was a good result, but there's still a big gap in the quality of the players on the pitch. I've no idea what the stats show, but, coming away tonight I felt City could, and probably should, have scored more than one.

For me, Koeman sits somewhere between Moyes and Martinez in his attitude. He's pragmatic enough to recognise he needs to set us up quite defensively against the likes of Citeh, but, like Martinez and unlike Moyes, he believes he can actually achieve something at our club.

Does he though? He seems atm, much near to Moyes. As you say it's wait and see, but for how long?...can we really afford the time and money, for a better funded Moyes to spunk a possible quarter of a billion quid or more, all for 'close, but no cigar'.

Does he though? He seems atm, much near to Moyes. As you say it's wait and see, but for how long?...can we really afford the time and money, for a better funded Moyes to spunk a possible quarter of a billion quid or more, all for 'close, but no cigar'.

Status
Not open for further replies.