2017/18 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've not seen much of him, but he does seem to have that extra level of talent and ability, and so I personally would have like to see him kept in the first team and given the occasional chance to do his 'toughening up' with us.

His area for improvement seems to be almost a shyness, possibly a lack of mental strength to take responsibility in pressure situations. Will he develop that side to his game at Notts Forest? Hard to say, but I hope so, I hope he smashes about 10 in by December and we recall him and give him a proper go like we did Davies.

What makes you think those Spanish leagues were hoofball? Doesn't ring true does it?

c3b.png

But he's not ready yet, Davies was. Davies was deemed too good for the U20's world cup which speaks volumes.
Thought he was given special dispensation to miss it as he had a pretty strenuous season for a young lad? But your story sounds better so I can go with that.

As a fan I wanted Kenny as right back against Ruzomberok and Dowell as the attacking mid on the same side. I would have the same for the second leg and the first few league games, until I got bored and moved Dowell to 10.
Managers are judged by results though (especially the last result), league position and trophies. Their biggest interest is in the next result. So can I see why Dowell didn't play against Ruzomberok in the first leg - yes (I wouldn't have played DCL their either though!). Would he play in the second leg with only a one goal lead - no.
First Premier league game - no. Four tough games following - no.
Chances are there will be pressure to pick up points in the games after that and it is human nature to stick with the old guard in pressure situations.
Just about every half of football over the next 10 months is a pressure situation for our manager. In real life, it is not Koeman's job to develop youth - it is his job to win the next game.
My point is that there is no way that Dowell was getting meaningful time with the senior side this season barring a real injury crisis or a terrible run of results/form (even that would be beginning after game 5 as excuses would be made for the tough start).
Dowell would only start in circumstances the manager can't let himself imagine.
He had to go out on loan to develop as a senior player and I'm happy that Walsh and Royle know and care enough to give him the best chance of coming back as a realistic starter.

As a fan I wanted Kenny as right back against Ruzomberok and Dowell as the attacking mid on the same side. I would have the same for the second leg and the first few league games, until I got bored and moved Dowell to 10.
Managers are judged by results though (especially the last result), league position and trophies. Their biggest interest is in the next result. So can I see why Dowell didn't play against Ruzomberok in the first leg - yes (I wouldn't have played DCL their either though!). Would he play in the second leg with only a one goal lead - no.
First Premier league game - no. Four tough games following - no.
Chances are there will be pressure to pick up points in the games after that and it is human nature to stick with the old guard in pressure situations.
Just about every half of football over the next 10 months is a pressure situation for our manager. In real life, it is not Koeman's job to develop youth - it is his job to win the next game.
My point is that there is no way that Dowell was getting meaningful time with the senior side this season barring a real injury crisis or a terrible run of results/form (even that would be beginning after game 5 as excuses would be made for the tough start).
He had to go out on loan to develop as a senior player and I'm happy that Walsh and Royle know and care enough to give him the best chance of coming back as a realistic starter.

Far too logical and reasoned response for this forum

Evening gents, just been reading through your comments on Dowell. He sounds fantastic and I'd hope we can give him a good platform for a season to our mutual benefit. We'll look after him and you can have him back all shiny and ready to go.

Wish you boys a great season, Koeman seems (outwardly) to be doing a great job.

Forgive me jumping on your forum, but felt compelled by the above quote.... without wanting to antagonise it's exactly this kind of crap that makes me glad we're not in the prem. yeah it would be daft to say we wouldn't want a shot back in the top division, but frankly 90% of what I see (on tv) is dull, sanitised and soulless. Hand on heart I'd rather feel a part of a club, with predominantly honest footballers, almost exclusively genuine fans and a competition that hasn't (just yet) become solely about who has the biggest, baddest foreign owner. Heartfelt and sincere, if you really think the championship is that poor then you've really been sold the Sky dream there fella.

Good luck to you boys.
The only reason anyone watches the Championship is to see the type of meaty challenges that cant be allowed in the PL. That's it's USP: a throwback to the bad old days when snides and hardmen stalked the earth....and now we've seen Dowell thrown into it.

Then why waste time on giving him games pre-season?

Evening gents, just been reading through your comments on Dowell. He sounds fantastic and I'd hope we can give him a good platform for a season to our mutual benefit. We'll look after him and you can have him back all shiny and ready to go.

Wish you boys a great season, Koeman seems (outwardly) to be doing a great job.

Forgive me jumping on your forum, but felt compelled by the above quote.... without wanting to antagonise it's exactly this kind of crap that makes me glad we're not in the prem. yeah it would be daft to say we wouldn't want a shot back in the top division, but frankly 90% of what I see (on tv) is dull, sanitised and soulless. Hand on heart I'd rather feel a part of a club, with predominantly honest footballers, almost exclusively genuine fans and a competition that hasn't (just yet) become solely about who has the biggest, baddest foreign owner. Heartfelt and sincere, if you really think the championship is that poor then you've really been sold the Sky dream there fella.

Good luck to you boys.
Good post mate. Welcome to the forum.

Surely you understand the difference between playing competitive games against senior players when points are on the line and playing against people in training when they're just going through the motions?

Going on loan is a longstanding rite of passage for young players, it's not like we've just come up with some wacky new scheme that'll never catch on.

what @atrottel said. With the addition I'm not criticizing the loan system. I'm all for Joe Williams going to Barnsley for instance, I think that's perfect for him. I just don't think it is for Dowell that's all. I hope he does great, I hope we win the league, and I hope he comes back next year and helps us win the treble.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.