Homepage Update: £40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that is why we have Koeman as manager and not you. Think he knows a bit better than you don't you think. Let him get on with his job and build a squad without you telling him where he is going wrong and what he should be doing instead. What PL team do you manage by the way.

Koeman doesn't play FIFA

People seriously moaning at the thought of having more than 1 quality player vying for the same position? We also potentially have a very long season ahead of us. I am sure we will play varying formations too.

We have waited years for a bit of strength in depth and we are starting to see it and people moan? We need a squad not a first 11
Exactly
Squad will be rotated according to the game in hand and who/ when we have played before and after.
I can't see us playing the same 11 at home to Brighton as we would away to Chelsea.
Also the 11 after a tough away EL will be different to the 11 after a relatively easy home EL game.
I can see 4/3/3
4/4/2
4/2/3/1
4/2/1/3
3/4/3
And all variations of the above.
We give about having no depth and we have 6/7 players ( and 2/3 more to come ) and people complain over who plays where.
There's hopefully 60 games so all will get game time.

that would be my pick but whether he'll want to leave Arsenal and they'll be willing to sell who knows. All seems up in the air until Sanchez's future is sorted.

agreed be a great signing for us though. he is great in the air. with a great first touch and good finisher. we need more goals from set pieces and he is always an out ball too then.

Why the obsession with people who can run fast?

Pace isn't just running fast. It is speed of though, combined with first time passing and clever players finding space. We have these.

All those things are not pace. People, including myself, who believe that this team needs "pace" are referring to physically quick players, able to beat players easily in one on one situations, accelerate quickly from a standing start and have a general explosiveness to their their play. People don't want the team to be made up of Usain Bolt's, ideally we want a combination of players with the attributes you've mentioned being either normal paced or fast. Right now we are definitely lacking in the latter. Pace frightens defenders. If you have pace in your attack, you can be devastating on the counter. Yes we have clever players, but even the greatest teams can struggle to find space and the killer ball against bus parking sides. I didn't see us with all our quality carving open a bunch of farmers countless times the other night, did you?

All those things are not pace. People, including myself, who believe that this team needs "pace" are referring to physically quick players, able to beat players easily in one on one situations, accelerate quickly from a standing start and have a general explosiveness to their their play. People don't want the team to be made up of Usain Bolt's, ideally we want a combination of players with the attributes you've mentioned being either normal paced or fast. Right now we are definitely lacking in the latter. Pace frightens defenders. If you have pace in your attack, you can be devastating on the counter. Yes we have clever players, but even the greatest teams can struggle to find space and the killer ball against bus parking sides. I didn't see us with all our quality carving open a bunch of farmers countless times the other night, did you?
No mate you must have missed the memo. @davek has redefined pace to include strength, shielding, dribbling, vision, finishing etc etc. Two of the slowest players in the prem, Giroud and Fabregas, have pace according to Dave.

No mate you must have missed the memo. @davek has redefined pace to include strength, shielding, dribbling, vision, finishing etc etc. Two of the slowest players in the prem, Giroud and Fabregas, have pace according to Dave.

The olympics is going to have increase the number of lanes at sprinting events at this rate. Maybe they can create a new event based on "speed of thought".

Why the obsession with people who can run fast?

Pace isn't just running fast. It is speed of though, combined with first time passing and clever players finding space. We have these.

This has been my point throughout.

That being said, as Sandro wasn't fit to start on Thursday, we did lack pace in our play up top.

Part of this is also that we as a team were rusty as it's still pre-season, but I don't think Koeman helped either by not playing a quick player in the front three. We had Lookman available, and he should have started.

But Dave's actually right about the quick thinking.

Fabregas has always played with pace.

Deulofeu is one of the quickest players I've seen, but his speed of thought is that of a sloth.

This has been my point throughout.

That being said, as Sandro wasn't fit to start on Thursday, we did lack pace in our play up top.

Part of this is also that we as a team were rusty as it's still pre-season, but I don't think Koeman helped either by not playing a quick player in the front three. We had Lookman available, and he should have started.
This 'rusty' excuse doesn't wash with me. None of the other top PL sides currently playing friendlies looked as unfit and off the pace as we did last Thursday.

As a supporter it comes down to trust and belief.

Personally, I would not spend the money on Sigurdsson that is likely to be spent and if signing a centreforward it probably would not be Giroud.

However, I do trust the managers judgement and I do believe in him and therefore I accept that these signings will benefit the team.

On the other hand I read posters on here talking about pace and the strengths and weaknesses of players and our team who have absolutely no knowledge of the workings of professional footballers or professional football and I fond it hard to take their opinion seriously.
I think the average supporter(which includes me) has very little understanding of how the professional game works and how players are regarded.
The best players seem to be clever and mentally quick and physical pace is like a golf club in the bag, to be used when needed but not useful for every situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.