Name that late-1960s choir leader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Gowen

Player Valuation: £6m
A feature of our away support in the late 1960s was a choir leader, ordinarily behatted, whose ability to levitate above the crush – I assumed it was a Flower Power thing - was an achievement of minor wonder in itself. Two sightings to jog memories. The predictable questions: who was he; and what became of him?

First up, at Wolves in the 4th round of the FA Cup in February 1967 (only plays on Youtube - the figure I'm referring to can be seen 18 seconds into the MOTD preamble to the match):

Second, Old Trafford at the (August) start of the 1968-69 season:

I think Paddy White was the guy who was normally hanging off the stanchion in Gladwys St. back then, but, I don't remember him wearing a hat like that he did go to most of the always as well.

Was there an Everton song then to messing about on the river?

Was there an Everton song then to messing about on the river?

Worth a punt: "There's nothing so nice as beating Liverpool twice..."

Personally, I never got over my love for "St John's body lies a mouldering in the grave....As the Blues go marching on, on, on..."

As a hard-faced young get, I once sang that to Saint's face when he came round to collect his lad after a kickabout in the back garden. He took it with characteristic humour. He was thoroughly nice bloke, off the pitch at least.

1966/67. Didn't we get knocked out in the quarters by Forest 3-2. Jim Baxter getting a hatrick? No idea who the songster was though

Personally, I never got over my love for "St John's body lies a mouldering in the grave....As the Blues go marching on, on, on..."

As a hard-faced young get, I once sang that to Saint's face when he came round to collect his lad after a kickabout in the back garden. He took it with characteristic humour. He was thoroughly nice bloke, off the pitch at least.

You should have locked him in your shed!
Can I ask, was that 'take my advice..' you put down a complete guess, or did you hear it and it was along the lines of that?

The St John song was in the Golden Vision documentary,changed the words though to "and Alex young.goes marching on"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.