Everton first team players who we never should have sold or got rid of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon O'Connor - Only 5 games for the first team but looked like he could have been class. Didn't do much afterwards.
Gavin McCann - Could have had a much better career as he looked pretty good early on
Peter Beardsley - I suppose not much could be done when Newcastle came calling.

I think you mean - Jon O'Kane ?

Think he liked his ale too much

Again the European ban?
As far as I'm aware he himself wasn't agitating for the move although obviously didn't turn it down when offered.
https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/14-15/news/30082.html
Maybe," he says in an interview for Four Four Two when asked if he'd have stayed were it not for the European ban. "Everton would perhaps have been in a better position to keep me. It was very much Howard [Kendall]'s decision to take the money. When your club tells you they've accepted a bid, you take that as a sign you're not wanted. The opportunity to join a club like Barcelona comes along once in a lifetime, so I had to take it."

We've got a really solid recent record of getting rid of players at the right time. The likes of Arteta and Lescott had only really one decent season at the teams they went to, not that I was on board with selling Mikel though! :rant:

Lineker
Keown
Rooney
Mustafi
Cottee (at the time)
Andrei Kanchelskis
Artera
Pienaar for a year
Apart from the obvious Alan Ball.Cottee seen by the footballing genius Mike Walker as no longer good enough for the top division,then came back to score 23 in 67 for WHU and 27 in 85 for Leicester City.

Status
Not open for further replies.