Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,259 92.3%

• Total voters
@davek

Dave is right. Things have gone downhill since this Moshiri fella has come on board.

- I miss the crippling debts and Goodison being mortgaged up to the eyeballs. We still owe debt...lots of it. To Moshiri mostly not the Prudential.
- I miss seeing Goodison looking like it was about to fall down. No one is arguing stay at Goodison or not move to BMD.
- I miss not having a new stadium to look forward to. We have a plan about a plan in place mate, not the same thing really is it?
- I miss the appalling commercial deals Erm, have I messed something? It's still pathetic. And the USM deal is merely a spin on a new shirt deal
-
I miss being plucky little Everton We're 7th mate. That's still being plucky Everton, or maybe you think it's now the big time?

#MoshiriOUT

My concern is for the long term well being of the club. Paying for a stadium is a risky business at the best of times, when you add on a deal on funding that has uncertainty surrounding control for four decades to come, that makes it even more of a risk. Build a stadium and get it paid off asap has to be our objective. I had harboured some hope that Moshiri would have a lot more skin in the game than nothing, not the least of reasons being that any increasing costs for the project would be avoided like the plague if some of the liability was headed toward him.

...and you haven't allowed for the possibility of opening the club up to a share issue or offering something like a debenture issue for seats which could cut down the need for institutional borrowing.

As I see it, there are two concerns here: one is balance between internal and external control of the club in this whole process; the other is the role of Moshiri who appears to have decided upon his "clever" funding model that no other top flight club would contemplate to the exclusion of more orthodox stadium funding models. He'll be here short term; the club will be here long after he's gone and will be dealing with the consequences of the architecture of his deal - through whatever environment exists in the coming decades for a consumer product like PL football.

Finally: I cant believe how lacking in caution are the views of many on here who seem to just be giddy with the prospect of a stadium at the docks and who've apparently thrown all reason out the window to the extent that they are unwilling even to look at all possibilities. We've just had two of the worst owners of this club in history in succession in the shape of Johnson and Kenwright, but some are willing to give a man like Moshiri a blank cheque to construct whatever plan he likes on this most crucial of issues.

I dont get it. We're not sheep who accept everything as a given. That's not my experience of my fellow Evertonians anyway.
Who says we are sheep? I certainly dont.. but I honestly don't see what other financial model... we we are currently are... we can possibly get to fund a stadium? The options you outline above are sadly not in our reach... we are playing catch up due to mis-mamagement in the past.

We are just not the attractive prospect for what you have outlined as much as spurs and Chelsea are. We have to admit that. This will hopefully get us back in a better more competitive financial footing to compete and maybe attract the type of things you mention above.

I don't see this deal as a risk at all... ok so the finances COULD be taken by the council... but a real doomsday scenario has to play out for that to happen... not saying 100% it won't happen... but there is a really really high chance it wouldn't.

I'm all for paying off the stadium as quick as possible but not at the expense of investment on the pitch I am sure will come. We are it Arsenal or Chelsea that have champions league money year in year out to help us. If I remember rightly Arsenal would have been screwed of they were not in the champions league.. their whole financial model for the stadium was dependant on it. And I don't want is to be in that position.

Yes, Chelsea owe him a billion pounds

Right, like the £55m loans we had previously with Wybrac or whatever they are called which was cleared by this bigger loan, that was investment too was it?
Gee, thanks Wybrac

It was Vibrac and that was a fixed term, interest bearing loan repayable annually out of our TV cash i.e. commercial borrowing and completely different to the interest free stakeholder loan that Moshiri has made to EFC

And yes Abramovich has invested a total of about £1BN into Chelsea via LOANS and the value of the club is £1BN according to Forbes. So he'd get the lot back if he sold up. What Moshiri has done is exactly the same but on a much smaller scale.

It really isn't that complicated

My concern is for the long term well being of the club. Paying for a stadium is a risky business at the best of times, when you add on a deal on funding that has uncertainty surrounding control for four decades to come, that makes it even more of a risk. Build a stadium and get it paid off asap has to be our objective. I had harboured some hope that Moshiri would have a lot more skin in the game than nothing, not the least of reasons being that any increasing costs for the project would be avoided like the plague if some of the liability was headed toward him.

...and you haven't allowed for the possibility of opening the club up to a share issue or offering something like a debenture issue for seats which could cut down the need for institutional borrowing.

As I see it, there are two concerns here: one is balance between internal and external control of the club in this whole process; the other is the role of Moshiri who appears to have decided upon his "clever" funding model that no other top flight club would contemplate to the exclusion of more orthodox stadium funding models. He'll be here short term; the club will be here long after he's gone and will be dealing with the consequences of the architecture of his deal - through whatever environment exists in the coming decades for a consumer product like PL football.

Finally: I cant believe how lacking in caution are the views of many on here who seem to just be giddy with the prospect of a stadium at the docks and who've apparently thrown all reason out the window to the extent that they are unwilling even to look at all possibilities. We've just had two of the worst owners of this club in history in succession in the shape of Johnson and Kenwright, but some are willing to give a man like Moshiri a blank cheque to construct whatever plan he likes on this most crucial of issues.

I dont get it. We're not sheep who accept everything as a given. That's not my experience of my fellow Evertonians anyway.

Barring paying for it himself, how else would you suggest it's funded then?

As for paying it off in the shortest time possible, that'd necessitate making compromises with the playing side of the business and carries more inherent risk than a £14.4m annual lease cost, which in real terms will reduce over time due to inflation and growing revenues.

What's laughable is that Moshiri is a bean counter by trade, not any old bean counter either, the bean counter of a multi Billionaire, the same Billionaire who gifted him 10% of his business. But of course davek has spotted a massive flaw in his business plan, just lol mate

Not sure how anyone can disagree with this.

There seems to be a fear of scrutiny amongst the fanbase - replaced instead by a eyes shut and fingers crossed attitude.

Who says we are sheep? I certainly dont.. but I honestly don't see what other financial model... we we are currently are... we can possibly get to fund a stadium? The options you outline above are sadly not in our reach... we are playing catch up due to mis-mamagement in the past.

We are just not the attractive prospect for what you have outlined as much as spurs and Chelsea are. We have to admit that. This will hopefully get us back in a better more competitive financial footing to compete and maybe attract the type of things you mention above.

I don't see this deal as a risk at all... ok so the finances COULD be taken by the council... but a real doomsday scenario has to play out for that to happen... not saying 100% it won't happen... but there is a really really high chance it wouldn't.

I'm all for paying off the stadium as quick as possible but not at the expense of investment on the pitch I am sure will come. We are it Arsenal or Chelsea that have champions league money year in year out to help us. If I remember rightly Arsenal would have been screwed of they were not in the champions league.. their whole financial model for the stadium was dependant on it. And I don't want is to be in that position.
And at the end of the day, that calculation isn't good enough. This is a 139 year old institution. It didn't stick around this long by making risky decisions, on or off the pitch.

There seems to be a fear of scrutiny amongst the fanbase - replaced instead by a eyes shut and fingers crossed attitude.
I think that comment regarding the fanbase is inaccurate and extremely patronising

There's nothing wrong with wanting to see and understand the detail, but when you're coming at it from the angle of labelling the man a 'no mark owner' it's hardly surprising that people are questioning the validity of his scrutiny.

Personally it makes perfect sense to me, we've got most of the annual cost covered with the previous debt clearance and the FF sponsorship. That's before we've even thought about the incremental revenue generated by the stadium plus the naming rights (which given Spurs are looking for £30m p.a., could well cover the majority of the cost on their own)

Once the full details of the stadium emerge and the plan for the surrounding infrastructure, combined with a more detailed costing and therefore repayment details, it can be picked over then. To label the funding model as Moshiri somehow running away from his responsibilities is agenda driven drivel imo.

And at the end of the day, that calculation isn't good enough. This is a 139 year old institution. It didn't stick around this long by making risky decisions, on or off the pitch.

Out of everything I posted that's the only thing you decided to take issue with... yeah... ok.

And you know exactly every single decision Everton have made in 139 years do you? How do you know none of them have ever been risky? You are not that old or knowledgeable... and don't just spout rubbish for the sake of it. Jesus wept mate.

Yeah thanks for calling fellow Evertonians this... glad you are on our side mate.

Not fear of scrutiny it's just some people see doomsday scenarios where they don't exist...

It isnt a "risky" decision imo.

Its not without risk, what is, but it seems to me to be a decent conduit to ensure the next 139 plus years are approached with a sustainable business model, and a pretty ace place to play football in.