New Everton Stadium Discussion

No way we'd get 60k through the gates in my opinion.

Fair enough, West Ham get 56k, but they're flogging dirty cheap season tickets and London's rather large and touristy.

We are what we are, we're not UTD or the RS... we're closer to City and they often have empty seats.

53k with 3-5k corporate/hospitality seats would do it.

th
th
th

Top three are Juventus stadium, smaller than their old ground, but certaintly better with a British feel. A larger scale version of this with people preferred Leitch design in the middle would be great.

A great example would be Bilbao's new stadium:

san-mames-football-stadium-hckj2g.jpg

Blue colours instead of red is a must ;)

Im torn between wanting the old school Juventus one, yet at the same time I would like us to take advantage of the opportunity and create something mental, the Vikings stadium posted earlier for example.

Fair enough, West Ham get 56k, but they're flogging dirty cheap season tickets and London's rather large and touristy.

We are what we are, we're not UTD or the RS... we're closer to City and they often have empty seats.

53k with 3-5k corporate/hospitality seating would do it.

If we get 5k corp that takes us to 45k with what we have now. Even a very conservative new stadium effect bounce of 20% would add another 8k and that's without taking into account it will be the most accessible stadium in our history and potential new incentive pricing structures.

I do agree with you every stadium situation should be taken independently and London has what you suggest. In the north though Sunderland and Newcastle have seen huge increases in numbers just from building a better equped facility. It cannot be underestimated how much of an effect better facilities and ease of access can make to attendances.

'We are what we are'

Can't believe you wrote that. With respect I don't think you fully appreciate what we are. We got huge crowds of 50000+ right up to the 1980s before grounds started getting smaller. The fanbase is clearly there. We have to think big because the club will grow, it isn't going to stay stagnant. There will be a huge demand for tickets once we move to the Docks, the setting alone will make it a major tourist attraction.

West Ham are not getting 10s of thousands of tourists. That's a myth. They're West Ham. They engaged their local community successfully. We are far bigger so there's zero reason we can't do the same in as large a facility. We're successfully doing it right now with Goodison. LFC get the crowds they get because they get loads of tourists. We engage the people of Merseyside. West Ham's season tickets are not that much less than what ours currently cost.

It would be a total failure if we don't have a 60000 minimum capacity. You don't build to meet demand now, you build to meet future demand. That's what any successful business does with such a major development.

'We are what we are'

Can't believe you wrote that
. With respect I don't think you fully appreciate what we are. We got huge crowds of 50000+ right up to the 1980s before grounds started getting smaller. The fanbase is clearly there. We have to think big because the club will grow, it isn't going to stay stagnant. There will be a huge demand for tickets once we move to the Docks, the setting alone will make it a major tourist attraction.

West Ham are not getting 10s of thousands of tourists. That's a myth. They're West Ham. They engaged their local community successfully. We are far bigger so there's zero reason we can't do the same in as large a facility. We're successfully doing it right now with Goodison. LFC get the crowds they get because they get loads of tourists. We engage the people of Merseyside. West Ham's season tickets are not that much less than what our cost.

It would be a total failure if we don't have a 60000 minimum capacity. You don't build to meet demand now, you build to meet future demand. That's what any successful business does with such a major development.

I didn't mean it disrespectfully, I just see us as more of a Man City in terms of size/potential at the moment. Hopefully you're correct, but I personally can't see where the extra 20,000+ fans are gonna come from after years of stagnation as a club.

Everyone is allowed their own opinions on whether we can or cannot fill a large stadium but I do believe you are selling us short.

What we need is a can do attitude, if we are worried we can't fill an extra 7k or so seats then we are just perpetuating why we have been overtaken by these clubs around us over the last 20 years.

The stadium does not need to 100% every game, there have been times at Goodison when it's 34k etc. and no one has jumped off the top balcony in disgust because of the atmosphere. If we don't grow we will go backwards.

Everyone is allowed their own opinions on whether we can or cannot fill a large stadium but I do believe you are selling us short.

What we need is a can do attitude, if we are worried we can't fill an extra 7k or so seats then we are just perpetuating why we have been overtaken by these clubs around us over the last 20 years.

The stadium does not need to 100% every game, there have been times at Goodison when it's 34k etc. and no one has jumped off the top balcony in disgust because of the atmosphere. If we don't grow we will go backwards.

Do what Milan do at the san siro, something city should do at the Etihad. Close off the top tier and open it when we have huge demand for games like United, City, Liverpool for example. Maybe also give some spaces away through EITC and other charities. Maybe include low income families and rewards to school kids who are performing well in their education ?

I don't understand why the focus is always on selling 60,000 seats every week, we won't, nor do we have too, we need 60,000 seats for when we can. Saying that, if we get a quality team in the meantime, we will easily. I hope Everton don't undersell themselves, if they're short-sighted, they'll realise their mistake pretty quickly.

I didn't mean it disrespectfully, I just see us as more of a Man City in terms of size/potential at the moment. Hopefully you're correct, but I personally can't see where the extra 20,000+ fans are gonna come from after years of stagnation as a club.

It's a myth about needing to find 20,000, at the very least a quarter of that is going to be hospitality/premium. This may not be full/half full for games but not many ordinary Evertonians will be in there.

Give your self 4k wiggle room at the top and so given we have shown we can reach around 42k this season, (the selling out of returned away allocation) in my mind we only need to find an extra 9k supporters.

The fact is whether we have a 60k or a 50k capacity ground, we will fill it more or less every game in the first season due to the novelty of a new stadium drawing people in. In future seasons, we'll fill it for about 5 or 6 games a season, and games against Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Hull etc. we'll have empty seats. That's just the way it is with any club outside of United, even Arsenal had loads of empty seats last week against Hull, at the end of the day who's really arsed?

Do what Milan do at the san siro, something city should do at the Etihad. Close off the top tier and open it when we have huge demand for games like United, City, Liverpool for example. Maybe also give some spaces away through EITC and other charities. Maybe include low income families and rewards to school kids who are performing well in their education ?

All options are open, our situation will never be as bad as Inters/AC's as they have got another 20 something k on top to fill given the San Siro's > 80,000 capacity.

If we have an American football type stadium with lots of little tiers then of course it's easy to close one of them off for the games that we cannot generate the numbers.

Like you say reduced ticket prices will be the way to go, gradually overtime this should then be filtered out to get the right balance to empty seats/ticket prices to generate the maximum return.

I think I've been obsessing about the empty seat thing. I guess if the costs are not much higher and the infrastructure can cope, then they might as well go balls deep with a 60k capacity

I still reckon they'll settle on 50 - 55k though.

th
th
th

Top three are Juventus stadium, smaller than their old ground, but certaintly better with a British feel. A larger scale version of this with people preferred Leitch design in the middle would be great.

A great example would be Bilbao's new stadium:

san-mames-football-stadium-hckj2g.jpg

Blue colours instead of red is a must ;)

Im torn between wanting the old school Juventus one, yet at the same time I would like us to take advantage of the opportunity and create something mental, the Vikings stadium posted earlier for example.

This is where i feel the Wave Suprastadio would work for us,

BMD isn't the largest area to play with, you can get a 60k stadium with steep stands close to the pitch to give it a more intense atmosphere but also looks great on the outside and very versatile, I know some people are not a fan of it but i just think it ticks a lot of boxes.

http://circus-polaris.com/#!/architecture/start/draft_suprastadium_2012

If we get 5k corp that takes us to 45k with what we have now. Even a very conservative new stadium effect bounce of 20% would add another 8k and that's without taking into account it will be the most accessible stadium in our history and potential new incentive pricing structures.

I do agree with you every stadium situation should be taken independently and London has what you suggest. In the north though Sunderland and Newcastle have seen huge increases in numbers just from building a better equped facility. It cannot be underestimated how much of an effect better facilities and ease of access can make to attendances.
This 100%. Back in the day at university I did my dissertation on clubs seeking new grounds. All clubs at the time I analysed the likes of Sunderland, Derby, Bolton showed significant increases in attendances, match day and commercial income following their ground moves. Let's face it look at the location of those grounds hardly inspiring, but they were still able to attract greater attendances. Compare it to an iconic stadium bring built on the waterfront close to the city centre, the scope for development is endless. 'Build it and they will come'. We should aim big (60000k) as don't underestimate the size of this club and its support.