Not open for further replies.
Right I have my list:

Jordan Pickford
Virgil Van Dijk
William Carvhalo
Yacine Brahimi
Yarmolenko
Shane Long

I was loving that list until I got to Shane Long.

A decent player I am sure but if we have the money we are alleged to have, will a Southampton squad player really take us to the next level, particularly in such a key position.

I know he'd be ok, but I think we should be aiming a lot higher than him.

aye but how many over 30 centre backs do you want us to buy?

It's a short term fix, but a very effective one. Williams and Fonte would be a very solid pairing and might allow us to buy in and/or develop some of our own defenders, such as Pennington, Holgate and Browning.

At 5 million pounds or anything like that, if he was available we would be stupid to turn our noses up at that. Think Richard Gough and the impact he had on our team for a short time.

Honestly, most lists are cack, but that one strikes me as decent. Although what has Shane Long done to be on that list?

I was loving that list until I got to Shane Long.

A decent player I am sure but if we have the money we are alleged to have, will a Southampton squad player really take us to the next level, particularly in such a key position.

I know he'd be ok, but I think we should be aiming a lot higher than him.

Personally think his work rate and finishing are good and Im thinking within the team that I am building around him he would do well. I know football.
/shrugs

We finished 11th last season.

I get that, so the answer is to sign a sub (despite them selling there start striker recently) from the team who finished 6th and are currently below is in the league.

I don't know why I am replying here, this has got to be a wind up.

If we've got the money were alleged to have and are striving to get in amongst the top clubs again, I'd be hugely disappointed with Shane Long.

It's a short term fix, but a very effective one. Williams and Fonte would be a very solid pairing and might allow us to buy in and/or develop some of our own defenders, such as Pennington, Holgate and Browning.

At 5 million pounds or anything like that, if he was available we would be stupid to turn our noses up at that. Think Richard Gough and the impact he had on our team for a short time.
the thing is though, it isn't just a short term fix is it? Because we have to outlay money to sign Fonte, plus offer him decent wages to sign, especially as he is taking a step down to come to us. So that 'short term' fix is potentially going to cost us 5 million + 52000000 quid in wages for the 2 years he is likely to be here.

It also increases the defenders we have in that position making it harder for any young ones to come in and stake a claim ala Stones which would then be detrimental. It also increases the risk of said older defender has a sharp decline, which combined with high wages means we struggle to shift them (see Mcgeady for an example) and then it weighs on the club financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.