January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

I do understand this scepticism and I certainly think that's how we operated under Kenwright. However the reason I am doubtful it continues is it is not a very effective and professional way to operate. It is humiliating for the club, demoralising for the staff and bewildering for the fans. It only makes sense as a strategy if you are looking to pull the wool over people's eyes and desperately create illusions that you are doing a better job than you are, and you are the victim of unfortunate circumstance.

I don't get this from Moshiri. If that's all he wanted to do then why buy into Everton to begin with? In all seriousness, if you are so clueless to not know how to invest or grow a brand why invest in it? The same could be asked of Kenwright but we know he bought it, like most of us because he's an Evertonian. That's not true of Moshiri.

I think on buying Everton Kenwright very quickly found himself out of his depth, financially and in terms of acumen and rather than being honest about it built a hard luck narrative to try and enact sympathy from supporters and also the wider footballing public. We became reduced to a pathetic homeless man begging for kindness. Part of covering up for his lack of plan was putting in unrealistic bids to blame bad luck when they inevitably didn't come off.

As I state I find it hard to believe a multi-billionaire businessman like Moshiri will operate along that route. Kenwright's game and business was acting, whereas Moshiri's is hard business sense. We do have to accept the premise that we may have experienced some genuine bad luck this window, allied to some mistakes and a challenging window. We changed our manager and the way we recruit people as well as getting in a DOF. We were unlucky that by all accounts Napoli and Porto pulled the plug last minute and Sissoko had a change of heart. We made mistakes because we ultimately targeted people out of our price range and then left it too later to be negotiating with difficult clubs.

On deadline day do you think we were in for Sissoko & Brahimi? For me the interest felt a lot more concrete than anything under Kenwright. Had we added them and say Gabbiadini that may have been close to 85 million spent. Had Kone wanted to move it would have exceeded 100 million. The mistakes of last window were poor application as opposed to no money. But we'll see in part this window I suppose.

If we were making genuine record breaking 60 million pound bids for defenders, then we should be taking this upcoming transfer window by storm! I would clearly love this to be the case, but what are the odds that we hear the same old story?

If we were making genuine record breaking 60 million pound bids for defenders, then we should be taking this upcoming transfer window by storm! I would clearly love this to be the case, but what are the odds that we hear the same old story?

I think that will be very telling. As a slight pedantic point I'm not sure we bid up to 60 million, but we certainly bid a lot.

As you said though the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and January will tell us a lot. IF we can add 3 or 4 from, Schneiderlin, Dahlberg, Sule, Depay, Kone, Gabbiadini etc then that will show some real intent. I hope we have moved on from trying to make a statement with signings to focussing on effectively getting business closed.

out stones 47 million

In Bolasie 22 million
Williams 12 million
Gueye 7.2 million
Stek- Buttons, less than a million
valencia - knowing us 2 million loan fee.

The three actual transfers all happened withing 2 weeks of selling stones as well. Mate, there is why anyone believes we are still sell to buy.

oh and if we are building a new stadium, it will revert back to being skint/sell to buy there as well to pay for it.

And we got pipped with a 30mil bid for Sissoko on the last day or did you conveniently forget that?

We should be Dymak but, the one caveat (and I'm not making excuses btw) is that this window will be even more difficult.

The money should be there and we should have targets lined up who we can realistically go out and buy.

My warning is come January people shouldn't expect all of our issues to be addressed.

For example, securing the signature of a top goalkeeper who is first-choice for their current side will be very unlikely.

However, getting somebody of say, Begovic's level in would be viable. However, form a sensible POV would it not make sense to wait until the summer to address that position with a long-term first-choice instead of another stop-gap - I suppose that will be what is weighed up (in this hypothetical instance of course).

We should - and I think we will - be in for a central midfielder. We need a bigger presence in there as it is, but there is an even greater need with Gueye leaving.

Like him or not, Bolasie has certainly had an effect for us so far so he'll be a miss as well, and unless Del or Kev have a miraculous turn in form we need a player to come in. Given how much we still need a playmaker this should be another priority - a player who can fill both the roles of a wide-man but a No.10 - Yunes Malli would be my left-field shout, but obviously it's on Walsh and his team to come up with the goods.

CF, again is needed. Whether that's a long-term prospect like Dolberg or a player we know will guarantee goals as a back-up (hard to find).

The fourth area that I'd like to see addressed is at centre-back. Should Jagielka's poor form continue, he can't be anywhere near the first-team, and I just haven't got confidence in Mori. No point just getting players in for the sake of it though.

Why???

I've been here through worse. and I'll be here once Moshiri leave and Kenwright brings another rich boy in who pretends to be our new major shareholder...

Cor, the years of doom have really taken it's toll on you.

Rest assured, we will spend and we will spend big. Was too much too soon this summer. Now we have had Koemi and Walshy in place for a few months, the whole thing will sail through.

Why would the Napoli bossman mention us if we were never on for him? That's the key on that one for me.

The others I can see the cynicism and understand it. We are Everton. We make phantom bids.

Isn't the Napoli boss the guy who actively discourages players to transfer to Britain because English women don't wash their genitalia (according to him)?

He's eccentric.

Status
Not open for further replies.