Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure it's fair to say we can't defend crosses when we had two kids playing in the middle and not-a-right-back Tom Davies on. Our biggest issue last season wasn't defending the ball into the box it was stopping the delivery which was down to absolutely shocking tactics by the manager. Leicester let tons of crosses into their box because they had Huth/Morgan; if we have Stones and Jags the full-backs need to be told to block crosses.

Agreed

And maybe practicing set pieces wouldn't have gone a miss either?

Agreed

And maybe practicing set pieces wouldn't have gone a miss either?

I think we can say with some certainty that defending was an after thought on the training pitch last season. It might only be 1 game but I saw so much improvement in our off the ball shape. Very confident we'll be a lot harder to score past this season.

Our First XI, when in form, is one of the best in the League

If we put out a team of Robles, Coleman, Stones, Jags, Baines, Del, Besic, Barry, Mirallas, Barkley and Lukaku out against Spurs opening day, I'd expect us to be in with an excellent shout of winning

Problem is mate that isn't a top team. In theory it is but manager blame or not, this sort of team struggled. Even when on top in a game like west brom/palace it still struggled to win (draw and defeat).

Barry cannot be first choice anymore. Learn from mistakes from disitn, his legs will go, don't bank on him having one more season. Del/ross/stones are inconsistent on the pitch, fantastic players on their day but again poor coaching leaves them further behind progress then they should be.

We need a shot of quality in the team. I agree a lot of the players are better than martinez made them out to be and i'm happy if the likes of McCarthy stay. But the difference little shots of quality would make, a better centre mid, more commanding centre half, a back up striker that actually can make an impact, these things will be the difference between a decent season (top 8) and a great one.

Most of the top teams in the prem are strengthening they already have a good starting 11 doesn't stop them adding more quality there's your difference.

Not sure it's fair to say we can't defend crosses when we had two kids playing in the middle and not-a-right-back Tom Davies on. Our biggest issue last season wasn't defending the ball into the box it was stopping the delivery which was down to absolutely shocking tactics by the manager. Leicester let tons of crosses into their box because they had Huth/Morgan; if we have Stones and Jags the full-backs need to be told to block crosses.

I meant as a team mate. I understand it was the youngsters but you can just tell that the organisation and practice isn't there yet, though I'm sure it'll come.

One thing that I definitely was impressed with was Galloway and Holgate's performances. As a two they were definitely a bit exposed but as individuals I think both showed they are more than capable of being fourth choice if needs be.

Problem is mate that isn't a top team. In theory it is but manager blame or not, this sort of team struggled. Even when on top in a game like west brom/palace it still struggled to win (draw and defeat).

Barry cannot be first choice anymore. Learn from mistakes from disitn, his legs will go, don't bank on him having one more season. Del/ross/stones are inconsistent on the pitch, fantastic players on their day but again poor coaching leaves them further behind progress then they should be.

We need a shot of quality in the team. I agree a lot of the players are better than martinez made them out to be and i'm happy if the likes of McCarthy stay. But the difference little shots of quality would make, a better centre mid, more commanding centre half, a back up striker that actually can make an impact, these things will be the difference between a decent season (top 8) and a great one.

well put Ash.

This is my thinking.

In the long term, we've got a director of football in and a well-respected sports development expert as head of the academy - which at the moment is producing some great talent.

In the short term, the side needs a shot of quality and experience that merges with the youth to get us success, which in turn helps us build for the future and sustaining that success.

I feel we're as far away from making an actual signing as we've been all summer.

Anyone out there have any knowledge of anything being in the pipeline? Something actually reslistic that is, not deluded fantasies about players like Carvalho, Witsel or Mata.

I thought there might be a chance we'd bid for Sigurdsson but that seems to have fizzled out now aswell.

I feel we're as far away from making an actual signing as we've been all summer.

Anyone out there have any knowledge of anything being in the pipeline? Something actually reslistic that is, not deluded fantasies about players like Carvalho, Witsel or Mata.

I thought there might be a chance we'd bid for Sigurdsson but that seems to have fizzled out now aswell.

you seem to think that if a transfer doesn't happen within two or three days of there being rumoured interest then it's not gonan happen at all?

IMO, we'll see the Witsel thing come to a head either way this week. Hopefully we'll also get a reliable update on the Carvalho front. I think Mata is a player that may well not be sold by Utd until later on in the window.

We may also see some movement on Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.