New Everton Stadium Discussion

Everton new stadium comment: Blues challenge is to deliver the docks - but a Plan B is shrewd

STADIA.jpg

Everton are considering two main options for the site of their new stadium (top right, the North docks area and bottom left, Stonebridge Cross in Croxteth)
The FBI have got nothing on eagle-eyed Blues.

No sooner had Joe Anderson tweeted a photograph of his meeting with Farhad Moshiri and Bill Kenwright on Tuesday, some had already zeroed in on part of the agenda.

On the desk in front of them was, among other documents, the prospectus for Stonebridge Cross, one of the potential sites for Everton's new stadium.

Except in the hearts of many it's not the site they want. Not at all.

That led to some frustration, anger and even criticism of the mayor which he duly addressed in his own indomitable style.

It was not, as some feared, a sign that the dream of a new home on the banks of the royal blue is already off the agenda. Far from it.

PICZAZ.png

Joe Anderson meets with Bill Kenwright and Farhad Moshiri with the prospectus for the Stonebridge Cross site, circled, among other documents on the table
The potential of building on the waterfront is lost on nobody. Anderson has already admitted that, in his capacity as an Everton supporter, it's his preferred destination.

It isn't lost on Moshiri, who has visited the city several times to take in its iconic locations, or born and bred scouser Kenwright either.

Inevitably the best things don't come easily. There will be several challenges if the Blues are to secure the right to build in the North docks region, not least striking a financial deal with owners Peel and ensuring it complies with Unesco's World Heritage stipulations.

Perhaps now more than ever in this bright new era, they are not insurmountable challenges, but they are significant nonetheless.

The good news is that Everton and the council have a sense of true partnership. They are reading from the same page and it's a heartening and powerful combination.

Read More
The rapid and impressive construction of Liverpool's new Main Stand proves what can be achieved when club and city work closely in tandem. That project, which began in January 2015 and will be ready in time for the coming season, had to overcome its own obstacles in gestation.

But they were dealt with and both the city and the club will benefit.

The same should go for Everton's new home.

But the club would be foolish to place all its eggs in one basket no matter how much one option towers above the rest.

Everton were lambasted for the lack of a Plan B in the aftermath of failed moves to the King's Dock and Kirkby.

kirkby.jpg

The proposed 50,000 capacity stadium Everton hoped to build in Kirkby
It's why they are only being prudent in at least fully investigating the prospect of an alternative in Croxteth's more easily deliverable Stonebridge Cross.

For fans it will remain hugely underwhelming in the shadow of the docks.

But it's worth remembering that any new project, wherever it was built, would be a Moshiri project.

If it had to be somewhere other than the waterfront, the Iranian billionaire and the rest of the Blues newly-calibrated board would still ensure it became a destination in its own right.

Read More
Sure that 'destination' process would be easier in a site like the docks with all of Peels' vision for the surrounding area and the city centre only a couple of miles away.

But Stonebridge Cross, with its proximity to the East Lancashire Road and the M57, has its own logistical features that make it a viable option.

GettyImages-495642178.jpg

A general view of the Allianz Arena
Like Bayern's stunning Allianz Arena, which is situated North-East of Munich 10km from the city centre near to where two motorways meet, Moshiri could deliver a ground that belies its inconspicuous location.

We shall see.

The hearts and heads of Blues remain rightly on the waterfront, and to deliver that would be a remarkable achievement for the club.

It will take time and patience, notwithstanding the Mayor's optimism that when construction at any site begins, it could then proceed quickly; within two to three years even.

The challenge for the Blues is clear; deliver the docks.

Imagine having a dock-side stadium. All the visitors to the city would never even know Anfield existed. Amazing. Our brand would skyrocket. Get it lit up like the Allianz Arena too, royal blue for all the night time planes flying into Liverpool. Make it an essential part of the Liverpool city skyline. Dreaming here.

yes, yes, yes and yes again. This what I have been pointing to in past posts.

It's not just about the beer, a city centre site would still offer a sense of history and belonging to homegrown Evertonians. An all new manufactured hospitality area just doesn't have the same appeal.
Brilliant post. I first came to the City because of Everton but now I love what the city has to offer nearly as much as the game itself. The chance to fully merge the Blues with the history of an iconic waterfront and city is a dream come true. I don't want some plastic village in the sticks, I want to enjoy the city, go the game and amble back to the cultural centre. Moshiri will make a mint out of delivering our dreams, that's why Im so confident it will happen.

Inevitably the best things don't come easily. There will be several challenges if the Blues are to secure the right to build in the North docks region, not least striking a financial deal with owners Peel and ensuring it complies with Unesco's World Heritage stipulations..

I was reading this article about Unesco the other day.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ge-site-status-risk-mayor-rejects-unesco-plea

Got me thinking, if them new black buildings at Mann Island can get passed, which have ruined the view you can see in that article, im sure a nice stadium in the North Docks, away from the Three Graces, will be OK, so that Unesco stuff might not be much of an issue?

Brilliant post. I first came to the City because of Everton but now I love what the city has to offer nearly as much as the game itself. The chance to fully merge the Blues with the history of an iconic waterfront and city is a dream come true. I don't want some plastic village in the sticks, I want to enjoy the city, go the game and amble back to the cultural centre. Moshiri will make a mint out of delivering our dreams, that's why Im so confident it will happen.

Excellent post mate - also let's not forget that the senior club in the city should have the best site ;)

I was reading this article about Unesco the other day.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ge-site-status-risk-mayor-rejects-unesco-plea

Got me thinking, if them new black buildings at Mann Island can get passed, which have ruined the view you can see in that article, im sure a nice stadium in the North Docks, away from the Three Graces, will be OK, so that Unesco stuff might not be much of an issue?

They're RIBA offices!

By the way, Unesco has problems with the entire Peel development and wants an embargo of any planning for a couple of years!
The council have already proved they are willing to forego heritage status by passing plans, so that wouldn't/shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Everton new stadium comment: Blues challenge is to deliver the docks - but a Plan B is shrewd

STADIA.jpg

Everton are considering two main options for the site of their new stadium (top right, the North docks area and bottom left, Stonebridge Cross in Croxteth)
The FBI have got nothing on eagle-eyed Blues.

No sooner had Joe Anderson tweeted a photograph of his meeting with Farhad Moshiri and Bill Kenwright on Tuesday, some had already zeroed in on part of the agenda.

On the desk in front of them was, among other documents, the prospectus for Stonebridge Cross, one of the potential sites for Everton's new stadium.

Except in the hearts of many it's not the site they want. Not at all.

That led to some frustration, anger and even criticism of the mayor which he duly addressed in his own indomitable style.

It was not, as some feared, a sign that the dream of a new home on the banks of the royal blue is already off the agenda. Far from it.

PICZAZ.png

Joe Anderson meets with Bill Kenwright and Farhad Moshiri with the prospectus for the Stonebridge Cross site, circled, among other documents on the table
The potential of building on the waterfront is lost on nobody. Anderson has already admitted that, in his capacity as an Everton supporter, it's his preferred destination.

It isn't lost on Moshiri, who has visited the city several times to take in its iconic locations, or born and bred scouser Kenwright either.

Inevitably the best things don't come easily. There will be several challenges if the Blues are to secure the right to build in the North docks region, not least striking a financial deal with owners Peel and ensuring it complies with Unesco's World Heritage stipulations.

Perhaps now more than ever in this bright new era, they are not insurmountable challenges, but they are significant nonetheless.

The good news is that Everton and the council have a sense of true partnership. They are reading from the same page and it's a heartening and powerful combination.

Read More
The rapid and impressive construction of Liverpool's new Main Stand proves what can be achieved when club and city work closely in tandem. That project, which began in January 2015 and will be ready in time for the coming season, had to overcome its own obstacles in gestation.

But they were dealt with and both the city and the club will benefit.

The same should go for Everton's new home.

But the club would be foolish to place all its eggs in one basket no matter how much one option towers above the rest.

Everton were lambasted for the lack of a Plan B in the aftermath of failed moves to the King's Dock and Kirkby.

kirkby.jpg

The proposed 50,000 capacity stadium Everton hoped to build in Kirkby
It's why they are only being prudent in at least fully investigating the prospect of an alternative in Croxteth's more easily deliverable Stonebridge Cross.

For fans it will remain hugely underwhelming in the shadow of the docks.

But it's worth remembering that any new project, wherever it was built, would be a Moshiri project.

If it had to be somewhere other than the waterfront, the Iranian billionaire and the rest of the Blues newly-calibrated board would still ensure it became a destination in its own right.

Read More
Sure that 'destination' process would be easier in a site like the docks with all of Peels' vision for the surrounding area and the city centre only a couple of miles away.

But Stonebridge Cross, with its proximity to the East Lancashire Road and the M57, has its own logistical features that make it a viable option.

GettyImages-495642178.jpg

A general view of the Allianz Arena
Like Bayern's stunning Allianz Arena, which is situated North-East of Munich 10km from the city centre near to where two motorways meet, Moshiri could deliver a ground that belies its inconspicuous location.

We shall see.

The hearts and heads of Blues remain rightly on the waterfront, and to deliver that would be a remarkable achievement for the club.

It will take time and patience, notwithstanding the Mayor's optimism that when construction at any site begins, it could then proceed quickly; within two to three years even.

The challenge for the Blues is clear; deliver the docks.
Plan B should be redevelop Goodison, moving further away from city centre would be a disaster.

Excellent post mate - also let's not forget that the senior club in the city should have the best site ;)
No need for Viagara when this becomes reality, not even at my age. I reckon heads will implode for the majority of our success starved younger fans,and especially so when they witness mass meltdown of our lovable neighbours.
We all are overdue a return of the good times, but more so the younger generation. They have remained fiercely partisan, without ever having seen anything other than all others prospering.

No need for Viagara when this becomes reality, not even at my age. I reckon heads will implode for the majority of our success starved younger fans,and especially so when they witness mass meltdown of our lovable neighbours.
We all are overdue a return of the good times, but more so the younger generation. They have remained fiercely partisan, without ever having seen anything other than all others prospering.

Hear Hear !!!

I'm a Town Planner, not in Liverpool, any major development project can be problematical, particularly those in an urban area. The trick is to open and transparent from the outset. Give everybody all the information they need to make assess the project. All the visual assessments, environmental studies, traffic assessments, design statements etc.
The GAA tried to re-develop Casement Park in Belfast, they hid all the information they thought was damaging to the project. The locals objected at all stages and eventually took a Judicial Review and the project has now stalled. A perfect example of 'how not to do development'.
So I urge Everton to front load the planning system and get all information into the public domain early doors.
Success for a football club does not only come on the playing surface, a new riverside stadium would be a major step forward for our club, I could take three more years of playing mediocre football to see a new stadium being constructed.
I prefer success on both fronts. COYB.