where did it go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know your avatar is Adam Lallana?

Did you know?
Hey, don't blame me! It's been a dapper dog for the big games.

It's my forfeit for Kithnous April "guess what happens thread"
Used the same one for when I lost in the March thread

Hey, don't blame me! It's been a dapper dog for the big games.

It's my forfeit for Kithnous April "guess what happens thread"
Used the same one for when I lost in the March thread
Change to to a better player, like Niasse, Linderoth or Nyarko.

When those fitness coaches left. Having a side lack fitness in the modern game is a recipe for disaster.

I have been mulling over this question,

As Bobby himself is fond of saying, it is a game of "small margins".

And it could just as easily have went the other way for us but for these "small margins" .

The Osman/Timmy screw up versus Sunderland on Boxing Day 2013.......we were on a tremendous run and would have consolidated a top four place going into the new year with a victory over the struggling Black Cats. Alas, our two most experienced players make a hames early doors and we were a goal down and a man short after about ten minutes.

The big storm of January 2014.......I am convinced we would have beaten Palace that night. They were really struggling at that time and we were flying.

That game re-arranged......by the it was played Palace were on a great run and Bobby played three wingers. Kev, McGeady and Del. it didn't work.....and like the Grand Old Duke of York, Bobby marched us down from near the top of the hill.

Not seeing off Arsenal when we were two up with seven minutes to play in August 2014......That was a taster of what was to become a common theme this season.....but back then it just seemed to suck the life out of our league campaign even at that early stage.

Rom missing the penalty versus West Ham in March 2016 and the mad substitution ten minutes later......What a high we were all on that day. Mr. Mo had just joined the club, we played great football with ten men, we are two goals to the good. And we are awarded a penalty.

What a time to be alive......what could go wrong?

Just about everything :(

And nothing has went right since.

When he decided to let players not only believe, but vocally perpetuate the idea that they are bigger than the club.

It would have come crashing down in the end anyway. I don't call him Ian Hola-way just because I think it's dead funny.

Personally I think it is simple...at some point players started to doubt Martinezs system...and maybe methods too.
Thats it.

Think it was the 2-3 home defeat to Crystal Palace close to the end of his first season in charge which coincidently ended his best spell here of 6 wins on the bounce, that took the wind right out of our sails and no momentum has ever been gained since. we've always been hit and miss after that, never really getting any kind of decent form since.

It went wrong when he got 72 points in the first season then every divvy thought it was the new average.

A victim of his own first seasons work.

Three seasons and his record is still respectable though, and only the most bitter and twisted wouldn't concede that.

Yes David it went wrong when our manager started making us progressively worse each season despite spending more and more money, thank god you've finally got it

I think it went wrong after Bournemouth tbh. We were having a decent season, played great football and we completely and utterly capitulated in the very last minute. Then our terribleness started to set in and I don't think we've ever recovered from it.

it all went catastophically wrong when RM told big billy

'i will get us top 4 , champions league'

and then preceeded to take us BACKWARDS.. its all there for everyone to see in the stats.

he's had plenty of time, i believe the average time any manager gets these days is well below a year. he's had more than double this.

Personally I think it is simple...at some point players started to doubt Martinezs system...and maybe methods too.
Thats it.

Spurs away was when it first looked to me that something wasn't right. Mirallas scored a screamer to put us 1-0 up, then they get 2 goals by putting us under pressure in our own half as we try to play out from the back and lose posession.

Then we were horrific for months after that until around the time of the West Ham cup games and comments in the press from players about how they'd spoke to Martinez about changing how we play, obviously a compromise had been met then but the damage had been done and the majority of players were no longer fully behind the manager.

They were still professional in the most part and tried to get on with the job but professional sportsmen at the top level need to be as close to 100% as possible, and when you don't have belief in the manager, his methods and what he tells you to do you're never going to reach it.

Status
Not open for further replies.