Intertoto cup application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
Everton have applied to take part in the 2007 Inter Toto Cup.
The competition provides an additional route into the UEFA Cup, should the Blues not qualify for the competition via their final league position.
The new format of the Inter Toto Cup means it is less of an obstacle to a side's pre-season preparations.
Should Everton be entered into the Inter Toto they would have to overcome one round of the tournament in July before entering a pre-qualifying round for the UEFA Cup.
Everton will be entered into the Inter Toto if they are the highest placed side outside of the automatic European qualification positions to have applied.
The Blues are currently seventh in the table. If the league placings remain the same until the end of the season the sides that finish fifth and sixth will qualify for the UEFA Cup because Chelsea and Arsenal contested the Carling Cup final and both will have secured qualification for the Champions League.
Should the FA Cup final be contested by two sides from the top four then seventh place in the Premiership will also earn UEFA Cup qualification.
Should that eventuality become reality and Everton finish eighth, they will be entered into the Inter Toto Cup.
Everton, Blackburn, Bolton, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Tottenham and Newcastle are amongst the English clubs to have issued an application for the Inter Toto Cup.
Source: Evertonfc.com
Opinions?

a route in is a route in, squad depth is important because earlier pre season and earlier competative games means more of a strain on the players.

man ure chelscum FA cup final please.

Because of the lack of strength in our squad it could be more trouble than its worth;)

Monty, forget squad size etc, it is a route for the club to make a bit of extra dosh which is exactly what we need especially since Moyes would not touch money coming from abroad??

This time I'm inclined to agree for extra footie. When we progressed last time I had my doubts about the paper thin squad and failing in the Prem. In fact we bounced out so fast it was just a after thought. I agree Monty I still feel we really don't have enough bodies to entertain too many games. But the quality and fitness the team seems to possess at this moment they could entertain and have a extra run of games and like Robert said the more dosh and international exposure the better. Even GOT could increase membership form a new sources once they see a Johnson,Cahill or Fernandes play in some distant country. I think it all win win. ;)

RTBM and Robert, I'm well aware of the financial consequences but at the end of this term we are wanting to get shut of all the following players if everyone has their choice, Naysmith, Pistone, BT, Fads, Carsley, Stubbs, VDM and old Uncle Tom Cobley and all. We must shed VDM and in my book BT, we need to blood more youngsters just to get them used to the big occasion. If we enter this competition our season will begin in about mid June unless of course the master plan is to get more players in before then but again finances come into play. Is this competition suitable for blooding kids with so much riding on it, I don't think so. It is for those reasons I'm uncertain whetehr or not this bid is really worth it, lets wait and see.:sad: :oops: ;)

Is there a lot of that in Cuba, Chico?

Monty on another thread I mentioned getting shut of those players and Batman shot me down that we could not afford to let them go as they wee good to have in reserve.

Is there a lot of that in Cuba, Chico?

Monty on another thread I mentioned getting shut of those players and Batman shot me down that we could not afford to let them go as they wee good to have in reserve.

Robert those players quoted ahbove are basically all those mentioned in all threads, I'd only get shut of BT and VDM but I think you'll have guessed that:p

We'd all like to get rid of them in an ideal world but selling them won't bring in enough cash to replace them all so unless Moyes can unearth some gems for next to nothing the majority will probably still be here. We are trading up, but it's a slow process.

For instance Fernandes will replace Carsley, Howard will replace Wright. I strongly expect Naysmith, Stubbs, Carsley and McFadden to be here next season. VDM and Beattie are uncertain. Pistone and Wright will probably not have their contracts renewed.

Such things are banned over here. Not a drop of it. Alas we have ways.

We are just playing if safe by applying for the Intertoto. If we [Poor language removed] up our position now then it may be a god send. I want to look forward to European nights, and so does some of our players. It might convince them to stay. Are you listening Mr Naysmith?

Status
Not open for further replies.