Everton Youth Teams Thread

You cannot put an old head on young shoulders , young lads will always make mistakes. Just because they are talented well paid youngsters, they will still do stupid things.

I think there was very little mention of it , but it was interesting to see Holgate on the bench last Sunday. I know there was probably very little intention to use him but he was still ahead of Pennington. He seems to be the latest on the fasttrack.

It makes me wonder about some of our other youngsters like Dowell, Ledson , Kenny, Henen. We have seen how Browning and Galloway have held their own in the first team, it makes me wonder could some others do so as well.

The thing is that due to Baines and Coleman being injured + Distin and Alcaraz being let go we've effectively been 4 players down recently from last season. In past seasons we'd have been destroyed but it's really exciting to see the talent coming through and not only holding their own but really impressing.

I'm excited to see if Holgate is of the Stones/Galloway mould as that would be tremendous to have so many top English defenders in the squad.

For the positions further forward were overloaded now in midfield and really need to move players on and allow Dowell,Ledson and Henen possibly a chance. However i think this will most likely happen very gradually and may even be next season as none of them have even been out on loan.

What would be good is to have a young keeper like Griffiths come through, even if he was just an average keeper to sit on the bench instead of Robles.

You cannot put an old head on young shoulders , young lads will always make mistakes. Just because they are talented well paid youngsters, they will still do stupid things.

I think there was very little mention of it , but it was interesting to see Holgate on the bench last Sunday. I know there was probably very little intention to use him but he was still ahead of Pennington. He seems to be the latest on the fasttrack.

It makes me wonder about some of our other youngsters like Dowell, Ledson , Kenny, Henen. We have seen how Browning and Galloway have held their own in the first team, it makes me wonder could some others do so as well.

Great post mate. Young lads are going to be inconsistent. Deulofeu is still a young lad really and you have seen that in the last two games.

Yes I found it interesting to see Holgate ahead of Pennington (I think Pennington was injured to be fair). I think he has more about him than Pennington though and will jump the cue he has more of a star quality even if he is a bit raw.

To answer your final question yes I think all of the above could hold their own in the first team, but we would be carrying them a bit, just as we are with Browning and were for a period with Galloway. I think 10 games is an important step for a young player. Once they get to ten games they are normally ok and will make big improvements in that time, but it's getting them there thats difficult.

Most of the above are all younger players. I think Martinez's optimum time for introducing players is around the 20-21 age. He said he wants them to be there on merit. Part of that is them being physically up to the challenge, which some of the above aren't quite ready for yet hence why we are using loans.

It's going to be really interesting to see that age group come through though. Walsh, Ledson, Kenny & Dowell have all been highly thought of and all have a great chance of getting game time for Everton. I have always felt their is talent in most academies, particularly ours at the moment, but you just need the right manager to nurture it.