Latest Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated:

Screen_Shot_2014_10_31_at_10_11_15_AM.png

The true measure of the current management is that TV revenue and turnover are practically parallel whilst other clubs have managed to significantly increase commercial revenues. It basically means that no value whatsoever has been added to the club outside of remaining in the Premier League. This is the graph of a small club with no revenues except those of domestic football broadcasting and acceptance of these results is acceptance of the inability to raise revenues based on the performance,history and worldwide appeal of the club

They've spent quite a bit on various assets, but spending much at GP is a waste unless you're doing full redevelopment.
A waste??? GP went all seater over 20 years ago since when the only expenditure has been on licks of paint. How long do you have to inhabit a stadium for before spending is not 'a waste'? Let's get real -- Everton will not be moving from GP. Let's get on with spending £15m-20m on serious upgrading and expansion, beginning with a new Park End Stand with attendant revenue-raising commercial capacity.

A waste??? GP went all seater over 20 years ago since when the only expenditure has been on licks of paint. How long do you have to inhabit a stadium for before spending is not 'a waste'? Let's get real -- Everton will not be moving from GP. Let's get on with spending £15m-20m on serious upgrading and expansion, beginning with a new Park End Stand with attendant revenue-raising commercial capacity.

And you reckon a new Park end stand will cost £15-20m.

There's enough data here, not sure it makes a difference. First, the TV money isn't going away, so it's not like the most recent data is bad. Also, use your finger and extend the line--you'll get a reasonable enough estimate.
I appreciate that - the point I was making was that by ignoring the £20m injection of TV money would give us a better view of how 'normal' growth in revenues might have been in its absence, and therefore provide a better projection of non-TV revenues.

The true measure of the current management is that TV revenue and turnover are practically parallel whilst other clubs have managed to significantly increase commercial revenues. It basically means that no value whatsoever has been added to the club outside of remaining in the Premier League. This is the graph of a small club with no revenues except those of domestic football broadcasting and acceptance of these results is acceptance of the inability to raise revenues based on the performance,history and worldwide appeal of the club

So basically, what you are saying is that we are small club who hasn't got a pot to piss in, we are run like a Village shop, have little or no revenue streams and outside of the NW and Wales, nobody knows us or gives a toss about us?

Remember this increase in the main is due to BSkyB and BT. Other PL sides will also see similar boosts so it's a case of how individual clubs manage this income. People expecting an EFC with greater muscle in the transfer market will be sorely disappointed I feel.

The major issue is that everyone gets the increased TV money to an extent (obviously varied a bit by league position etc) and that has a knock-on effect on transfer fees and wages so it's not a huge competitive advantage. I mean, seriously, would anyone have even considered 28m for Lukaku two years ago?

The difference in competing is always going to be Champions League football and commercial revenues. CL is incredibly tough to get unless you have the money first and only for four clubs so that realistically leaves commercial revenue as the area that drastically needs to be improved. Otherwise, you get into a cycle of always needing to perform better than your means. You can't rely on that when your best players and manager will be constantly poached by clubs who have already sorted out their commercial revenue streams

Oh yes

I appreciate that - the point I was making was that by ignoring the £20m injection of TV money would give us a better view of how 'normal' growth in revenues might have been in its absence, and therefore provide a better projection of non-TV revenues.

That's relatively straightforward. Match day revenues roughly follow inflation and commercial revenues can be estimated by imagining roughly what a really incompetent Championship side would make in the PL two years ago

2012 commercial activities revenue
Norwich - 14m
Wolves - 10m
Fulham - 12m
Bolton - 14m
Blackburn - 8m

2014 commercial activities revenue
Everton - 11.7m

If you're not going to build something new, then it's not a waste to redevelop Goodison. But you can't do anything with the stands as-is, and it's cost prohibitive to rebuild/replace what's there. This discussion has been had many times over, but if you're going to build new you don't spend much improving what you plan to tear down.

I can break these down for you, but I'll save us both the time. Picture in your head a straight line with a slope = 0... you're pretty close to the non-TV revenue trends.

Raw numbers below

If you're not going to build something new, then it's not a waste to redevelop Goodison. But you can't do anything with the stands as-is, and it's cost prohibitive to rebuild/replace what's there. This discussion has been had many times over, but if you're going to build new you don't spend much improving what you plan to tear down.
That's why i suggested we start from the near-certainty that we will never be moving (too many obstacles, not enough money), in which case we've just got to get on with improving GP. To my mind we could focus on the Park End rebuild and finding ways to redesign parts of the Main Stand and roof, to allow for the removal of obstructions, keeping the Bullens and GP pretty much as they are, thus retaining the traditional alongside the modern.

That's why i suggested we start from the near-certainty that we will never be moving (too many obstacles, not enough money), in which case we've just got to get on with improving GP. To my mind we could focus on the Park End rebuild and finding ways to redesign parts of the Main Stand and roof, to allow for the removal of obstructions, keeping the Bullens and GP pretty much as they are, thus retaining the traditional alongside the modern.

My understanding is that the main stand is built so that all pieces support each other (have no idea what the engineering terms are) and that you can't remove the obstructions without replacing the entire structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.