How good a player is Steven Pienaar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
True.

Even if he isn't a world class player he turns one of our best players into a world class player and that's all that really matters

Although Baines is by all means world class anyway, Pienaar and him are on the same wavelength which is extremely hard to find in a duo at this level - we sorely missed him in a few ways too when he left.

He's better with the ball than without. He wasn't going to see much of the ball with Bale and Modric in their lineup. I mean, I can't really ever remember a time where I said "wow, what a wonderful run off the ball by Pienaar" or "wow, he really knows how to find space without the ball." He needs the ball to be effective. It's happened to other players at that club like Krancjar etc.

Although Baines is by all means world class anyway, Pienaar and him are on the same wavelength which is extremely hard to find in a duo at this level - we sorely missed him in a few ways too when he left.

Yeah Baines is world class but having someone like Pienaar allows him to be that player

He's better with the ball than without. He wasn't going to see much of the ball with Bale and Modric in their lineup. I mean, I can't really ever remember a time where I said "wow, what a wonderful run off the ball by Pienaar" or "wow, he really knows how to find space without the ball." He needs the ball to be effective. It's happened to other players at that club like Krancjar etc.

There are definite areas of his game that need improving but I doubt they will now given his age

Yeah Baines is world class but having someone like Pienaar allows him to be that player

There are definite areas of his game that need improving but I doubt they will now given his age

I wouldn't expect him to improve, not really the point. It's just that he needs to play a certain way to be effective, it doesn't make him a lesser player.

I think Modric will suffer the same fate at Real Madrid.

I wouldn't expect him to improve, not really the point. It's just that he needs to play a certain way to be effective, it doesn't make him a lesser player.

I think Modric will suffer the same fate at Real Madrid.

Modric is terribly overrated though

I'm sorry, but that's ludicrous.

The main reason Baines and Pienaar are so good is because of the one twos they play, which involves one of them offloading the ball and then making a well timed run past a marker to be in a position to take the ball again. That is the essence of how Baines and Pienaar play, if Pienaar didn't have good off the ball movement our left side would be nothing compared to what it is today.

Barely a game goes by where either Pienaar or Baines don't end up having a run on goal from the byline having beaten the last man with a well timed run. Pienaar and Baines both have fantastic off the ball movement and timing, if they didn't they wouldn't be back heeling it to each other with almost telepathic accuracy all the time.

He's a good, clever footballer with a good on pitch attitude. He lacks a bit of end product which is where Baines picks up his slack IMO. I think he's too good for the Europa, but not quite CL standard if that makes sense. Kinda like a team that yo-yo's between the Championship and the PL.
He had more assists in the prem than any other player in this calendar year as of about two weeks ago. I don't know whether anyone's overtaken him since.

We just play better with him than without him - not sure if that quality is quantifiable outside the word 'boss'.

"Braided bass-talking boss christian" [Azul, 2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.