6 + 2 Point Deductions

Peter Macfarlane, Everton fan and contributor to the Blue Room Podcast, has been speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live about the reduction in the club's penalty for breaching Premier League financial rules:

"We're certainly finding ourselves in a better position than we were a couple of hours ago, so that's one massive bonus for us, but I think the overall feeling right now is one of vindication - certainly from the supporters.

"We believed from the outset that the 10-point punishment was extremely harsh, especially given some of the comparative punishments that are listed in the Premier League guidelines with regards to administration, for example, which is nine points.

"We believed from the outset that 10 points was massively harsh. So to get some of those points back feels like, as I say, a massive vindication for the fans and for the club."

Hmm, wouldn't say vindicated like. And not sure that's the best message to spread to the media.

He doesn’t speak for me.

It is a poor result for us but better than nothing.
The reaction from the club tells me that in spite of all the fighting talk that came out after the initial deduction the club knew it was in the wrong and the fighting talk was to appease the fans but little else.

What do the club say?​

Everton did not hide their dismay with the Premier League and their belief that the organisation is making up regulatory practices as it goes along. A strong statement said: “The Premier League does not have guidelines which prevent a club being sanctioned for alleged breaches in financial periods which have already been subject to punishment, unlike other governing bodies, including the EFL. As a result, and because of the Premier League’s new commitment to deal with such matters ‘in-season’, the club is in a position where it has had no option but to submit a PSR calculation which remains subject to change, pending the outcome of the appeal. The club must now defend another Premier League complaint which includes the very same financial periods for which it has already been sanctioned, before that appeal has even been heard. The club takes the view that this results from a clear deficiency in the Premier League’s rules.” Everton also believe the £105m threshold is outdated and has not taken into account the inflation of wages and transfer fees over the past 10 years. The Premier League is changing the PSR rules in August.

What could the punishment be if found guilty?​

A fine, a transfer embargo or another points deduction. As Everton’s statement mentions, there is no rule to prevent double jeopardy in the Premier League. Therefore, the club could be docked points for a second time this season despite November’s 10-point punishment covering 75% of the period that the latest charge relates to. Everton have spoken with the Premier League about the risk of double jeopardy and bringing in measures to prevent it, as the EFL has done, but have been informed the final decision will rest with the commission that hears their latest case.

In regards to EFL rules and double jeopardy.
Certainly looks like we are going on the attack...

whoop-dee-doo-cheerleader.gif

Well that is absolutely BS it isn't good enough. I hate this competition farcical entertainment sport. I just hope we can start winning soon because 4 points is sweet FA given the circumstances.

The team has suffered undue pressure these last few months and it has affected form and confidence, so 4 points may as well have been none the damage it's done already.

Here's hoping that because part of the most recent accounts we have been charged on overlapped a time period in the previous accounts which have now been dealt with and punished, the overlap section is discarded and removes any breach and charge. Not holding my breath though because I can just imagine Masters sitting there laughing his head off smugly muttering something like 4 points given back and another 6 to be deducted soon.