Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Been taking Citlophram, for 4 months granted I have been drinking in that time, but I've noticed physical health problems. How long does it take to get use to tablets, should I stop taking tablets. Are there other anti depressants with less side effects.
Citalopram? That's a talk for the doctor and I'm fairly sure the pamphlet in the box says to avoid alcohol? Also the size of the dose is important. I believe it can take a few months for serotonin levels in the brain to be affected and level off, but I'm no expert. You on the wait list for some talking therapy/CBT stuff?

Been taking Citlophram, for 4 months granted I have been drinking in that time, but I've noticed physical health problems. How long does it take to get use to tablets, should I stop taking tablets. Are there other anti depressants with less side effects.
Wat side effects mate? I've been on them for years.....only things I've noticed are decreasesd sex drive, queasy for first few months and light headed if I miss a dose.

Citalopram? That's a talk for the doctor and I'm fairly sure the pamphlet in the box says to avoid alcohol? Also the size of the dose is important. I believe it can take a few months for serotonin levels in the brain to be affected and level off, but I'm no expert. You on the wait list for some talking therapy/CBT stuff?
Not on waiting list yet, haven't found CBT helpful in past, I'm gonna make concerted attempt to give up alcohol. But at moment not feeling great, what worries me is I'm so used to side effects from meds, it could be a physical issue. Stomach ulcers or other things.

Just some words about psychotropic medication. Please take on board.Never stop taking your prescribed medication without seeing your Dr first. Even if you " think " they aren't working, go see the GP and let them make the decision. It may be a dosage issue, time your taking your meds, efficacy issues. My patients have said to me " I stopped taking them because I'm better ". To which I often reply " it's because your meds were working and we're keeping you stable ".

Medication takes 3-5 weeks to begin to start being therapeutic, be patient folks, give them a chance to " kick in ". If you don't think your medication is working it's fine, honest. Your Dr can re assess you and prescribe a different type of appropriate. As I say, just don't stop taking your current meds though. Finally with regarding drinking alcohol. If you do drink, don't overcompensate if you've forgot to take medication, and give yourself " more ". Continue on the prescribed dose. The issue with drinking is not that they will all effect your prescribed drug - some may do - but as people have alluded to, the drink can alter our moods, anxiety. Making your lot in life appear more traumatic. In affect you lengthen the time it takes to get better. Alcohol as well all know is a short term fix. We make choices and living with those choices is often harder when it comes to alcohol. I'm certainly not, and would certainly never, judge anyone. Just try to give people information and arm them with the practicalities of taking " mental health " medication. As I've said, I hope I haven't come across as preachy and telling people how to suck eggs. If you would like a more personal chat about psychotropic meds, let me know id be happy to help if I can.

Take care all.

Just some words about psychotropic medication. Please take on board.Never stop taking your prescribed medication without seeing your Dr first. Even if you " think " they aren't working, go see the GP and let them make the decision. It may be a dosage issue, time your taking your meds, efficacy issues. My patients have said to me " I stopped taking them because I'm better ". To which I often reply " it's because your meds were working and we're keeping you stable ".

Medication takes 3-5 weeks to begin to start being therapeutic, be patient folks, give them a chance to " kick in ". If you don't think your medication is working it's fine, honest. Your Dr can re assess you and prescribe a different type of appropriate. As I say, just don't stop taking your current meds though. Finally with regarding drinking alcohol. If you do drink, don't overcompensate if you've forgot to take medication, and give yourself " more ". Continue on the prescribed dose. The issue with drinking is not that they will all effect your prescribed drug - some may do - but as people have alluded to, the drink can alter our moods, anxiety. Making your lot in life appear more traumatic. In affect you lengthen the time it takes to get better. Alcohol as well all know is a short term fix. We make choices and living with those choices is often harder when it comes to alcohol. I'm certainly not, and would certainly never, judge anyone. Just try to give people information and arm them with the practicalities of taking " mental health " medication. As I've said, I hope I haven't come across as preachy and telling people how to suck eggs. If you would like a more personal chat about psychotropic meds, let me know id be happy to help if I can.

Take care all.
Belter. A+.

Many thanks :)

Sounds fairly familiar for early days of taking the meds.... 4 months seems quite long though.... u mentioned drinking? How much?
There are loads of meds out there, see your gp again?
Tbh too much ale I'm gonna make a significant go of staying off ale, I didn't get as ill when I first took Citlophram without ale. But I have been unwell since new year, it maybe a physical illness rather than tablets.

While it may not be commercially available in Australia, the fact that it's not illegal to import gives you the chance to try it out and see if it works for you. Personal experiences with CBD can vary widely, so it's worth giving it a shot if you're curious.

I took that for a while and it started to “work” right away for me, but the unbearable heavy sleep I was having was not helpful, or the zombie effect - it stopped me feeling absolutely anything, now this is just my experience and it’s different for everyone.

I would definitely NOT drink at the same time personally. I’ve found being more or less totally ale free has helped me in the longer run that any medication has ever. I see you mentioned CBT which was also not very helpful to me, it may help if you speak to a therapist about who deals in what has potentially driven you to speak g to and taking the citalopram initially.

Good luck

I took that for a while and it started to “work” right away for me, but the unbearable heavy sleep I was having was not helpful, or the zombie effect - it stopped me feeling absolutely anything, now this is just my experience and it’s different for everyone.

I would definitely NOT drink at the same time personally. I’ve found being more or less totally ale free has helped me in the longer run that any medication has ever. I see you mentioned CBT which was also not very helpful to me, it may help if you speak to a therapist about who deals in what has potentially driven you to speak g to and taking the citalopram initially.

Good luck
Ale counteracts the impact of many medications - it either emphasises or depletes the effects. The best thing is to try and moderate or stop imbibing altogether until your head is in a better place.