VAR

VAR has made the on field officiating even worse, which takes some doing considering how bad it was before it!

Someone needs to explain to me how the best ref Oliver managed to book 3 Everton players and the manager, yet spurs made many more fouls and were arguing the toss about every decision that they never got. Unreal - the bias and corruption is genuine.

VAR has made the on field officiating even worse, which takes some doing considering how bad it was before it!

Someone needs to explain to me how the best ref Oliver managed to book 3 Everton players and the manager, yet spurs made many more fouls and were arguing the toss about every decision that they never got. Unreal - the bias and corruption is genuine.
I think it is unconscious bias. Cock up an Everton call no impact, cock up a big six call slaughtered in the press.

Don’t think it is the ref. I think it is the whole environment

The whole offside thing has got ridiculous now, let's just go back to if your off when it leaves your team mate, your off. If it hits a defender and spins to you and your off, then tough on them.

Football is a simple game complicated by idiots.

Deliberate play should be a given. If a player jumps to head a ball, then that's fairly deliberate. Of course they don't mean it to drop to an attacker.

What next, nongoal kick causenthe striker never deliberately missed the target.

Get these goons out of our game.
I don't think that's ever been the rule though.

I think it is unconscious bias. Cock up an Everton call no impact, cock up a big six call slaughtered in the press.

It’s all corrupt, it’s more than just bias, unconscious or otherwise, happens far to often across multiple matches, I’m not just spinning this from a blue tinted perspective.

anyone who has ever had to make important decisions should be aware of biases that may affect their decisions. The referees and PGMOL seem to have no cognisance of the concept of bias

Last edited:

I think during a goal VAR should be allowed to check for only one thing. It would save a lot of time with the re refereeing the game but also everyone wants goals.

If there is a potential offside in the buildup then it should be the linesman’s job to say that and var to check, if checked and onside then goal given but from there they can’t check anything else.

If there is a foul on the buildup it’s the ref’s job to highlight that and the foul can be checked.

But you shouldn’t be allowed to check for anything that can disallow the goal. Goals are being nit picked, was it off, was it a handball, was their a foul. The rule should be a one check system for a goal and if there is something else in the build up we go back to saying well tough and the ref/linesman should of done their jobs better.

I don't think that's ever been the rule though.

It was when I was playing. If the ball was played forward to you and you were in an offside position, it was given as offside even if you were walking backwards and made no attempt to paly the ball. If you were too lazy to get back onside, it's your own fault.

It was when I was playing. If the ball was played forward to you and you were in an offside position, it was given as offside even if you were walking backwards and made no attempt to paly the ball. If you were too lazy to get back onside, it's your own fault.
That part was the rule, but then you said if it hits a defender it should cancel it out, which would be far stricter than it's ever been.

I think during a goal VAR should be allowed to check for only one thing. It would save a lot of time with the re refereeing the game but also everyone wants goals.

If there is a potential offside in the buildup then it should be the linesman’s job to say that and var to check, if checked and onside then goal given but from there they can’t check anything else.

If there is a foul on the buildup it’s the ref’s job to highlight that and the foul can be checked.

But you shouldn’t be allowed to check for anything that can disallow the goal. Goals are being nit picked, was it off, was it a handball, was their a foul. The rule should be a one check system for a goal and if there is something else in the build up we go back to saying well tough and the ref/linesman should of done their jobs better.
Wholeheartedly agree. Naively, I thought VAR was introduced simply to rule on potential controversial decisions but it seems to be the case that they rule on every goal/foul which is slowly strangling the game. If the ref or liner warrants no infringement then that should be sufficient. Maybe we need to go down the route of cricket/tennis where each side is permitted a couple of appeals per game thereby removing the VAR panel from exerting their influence over each and every 'incident' and, thereby. placing the onus back onto the pitch side officials.