2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Whether people rate Dominic Calvert-Lewin or not, at the moment we don't have any real wiggle room upfront when it comes to decent(ish) forwards. The lad doesn't get the best of service and when a chance does come his way he seems to lack the confidence to finish it. To be honest, I'd be tempted to play Aarnaut Danjuma forward and have DCL starting from the bench.

For me it’s a technical issue and not a confidence one. He doesn’t strike the ball cleanly, his technique is all wrong, nor does he have the intelligence to lose his marker or make a clever run. In short, he isn’t a very good Premier League striker. He is a bottom half player and we’re struggling because we have players like him playing every week and being held up as one of our better players. If he’s one of our better players then is it any wonder we battle relegation every year.

Wow, they must be struggling for results then huh?

Where are they in the league? 10th, 11th?

I think his point is that the midfield playing today is like their 3rd choice midfield and doesn’t play every game. If a kid’s making his debut then clearly he hasn’t contributed to them being top of the league.

Our midfield yesterday cost more than theirs today. We have people calling Onana a £100m player.

I think his point is that the midfield playing today is like their 3rd choice midfield and doesn’t play every game. If a kid’s making his debut then clearly he hasn’t contributed to them being top of the league.

Our midfield yesterday cost more than theirs today.

Curtis Jones starts every game, Gravenberch is one of the most highly rated mids in the world?

Our midfield yesterday cost more than theirs today. We have people calling Onana a £100m player.
And im saying that the homeless fella I saw outside the ground is more creative than Onana.

For me it’s a technical issue and not a confidence one. He doesn’t strike the ball cleanly, his technique is all wrong, nor does he have the intelligence to lose his marker or make a clever run. In short, he isn’t a very good Premier League striker. He is a bottom half player and we’re struggling because we have players like him playing every week and being held up as one of our better players. If he’s one of our better players then is it any wonder we battle relegation every year.

Such things occur when a player lacks confidence. You tend to make poor decisions, get caught in two minds, second guess yourself, etc. when your confidence has gone. But, no matter what the problem is, we can't keep thinking "It's fine, he'll come good", Dyche needs to try a different approach.

Whether people rate Dominic Calvert-Lewin or not, at the moment we don't have any real wiggle room upfront when it comes to decent(ish) forwards. The lad doesn't get the best of service and when a chance does come his way he seems to lack the confidence to finish it. To be honest, I'd be tempted to play Aarnaut Danjuma forward and have DCL starting from the bench.

He is very fortunate that we are so inept at recruiting that he is still the best option at the club.
I can see both sides of the debate. Service could be better. But then so could he. Im not having this its all the midfields fault. Patterson put what people describe as the ideal ball for him against burnley. 6 yards out. On his head. Middle of goal. He didnt finish it.
The feeling was that we would get someone in who could take the idea that calvert lewin was all we had. Unfortunately and true to form we bought someone who looks like he's just been introduced to this thing called a football.

The only things needed to be said in this thread are:

- He's missed great chances his entire career and currently lacks confidence.
- We still play better with him than without him as a team.
- He's always needed 2-3 good chances to score for us and we only create 1 per game for him at best. Up the chances = up the goals - tean isssue.

That's about it till Summer.

I just think it's so sad now afteer being an Evertonian for life discussing a player like Calvert Lewin, it's all sort of irrelevant as we're stuck with him and to be fair many others. The days when we could go out and nab a Gray, Bent, Amo, Lukaku are well gone, we're stuffed.
Not worth losing sleep over it, damage was done years ago and enhanced by putting so much blind faith in this player to come good. A decision on his future as an Everton 9 should have been made 5 years ago.
Interesting comparison for me is with Tim Cahill, a midfielder who could play an attacking role if called upon(which we did)
He had 8 seasons with us, same as Lewin is up to now.
He played 256 games and hit 68 goalas
DCL is on circa 180 ish games for the same period with 64 goals.

Both cost 2 million and I know who has contributed more. Again though it's not on the players, it's the bods behind the scenes who are making dreadfull choices with recuitment and team selections. So depressing at the moment.

I just think it's so sad now afteer being an Evertonian for life discussing a player like Calvert Lewin, it's all sort of irrelevant as we're stuck with him and to be fair many others. The days when we could go out and nab a Gray, Bent, Amo, Lukaku are well gone, we're stuffed.
Not worth losing sleep over it, damage was done years ago and enhanced by putting so much blind faith in this player to come good. A decision on his future as an Everton 9 should have been made 5 years ago.
Interesting comparison for me is with Tim Cahill, a midfielder who could play an attacking role if called upon(which we did)

Both cost 2 million and I know who has contributed more. Again though it's not on the players, it's the bods behind the scenes who are making dreadfull choices with recuitment and team selections. So depressing at the moment.
I think calling Cahill a midfielder is a stretch.

Is that the Bent that scored an enormous 8 goals in his whole Everton career?

I read up to Marcus Bent. He cost £450,000 and scored 8 league goals.