Football as We Know It Is Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game has been cooked for years, and not within this league.
Look to other leagues.
Scotland - Two horse race.
Spain- Two/Three (Genoa this year doing a Leicester).
Germany- Bayern.
France - PSG.
Holland - Three horse race.
Italy -Three.

Full disclosure, I haven't gone and checked the other leagues, but from that dip sample, it is the same teams within their respective league constantly challenging.

I have resigned myself to accepting Everton will never win the league again in my life, unless there is a fair overhaul of the system, that allows each club to compete, regardless of their standing - even newly promoted teams.

This top heavy system will inevitably collapse, I just hope it doesn't take established clubs along the way.

Game has been steadily getting worse for years.
Same teams winning everything.
Cap between the top and bottom of the prem growing every year.
VAR is a joke again favouring the so called elite.
Can't even celebrate a goal anymore.
Games ending at the whim of the officials in the var rooms.
The timings of the games, played at mad times and days.
Used to be part of the excitement ,Go the game Saturday get a result and find out how the teams around you did, not wait till midweek to find out.
It really added to the excitement of the day.
The cost is bloody scandalously high .
god help anybody bringing a family the game.
I have lost my love of the game. When I go now it's less and less
I find myself thinking other than seeing the lads it's past its sell buy date.
just to sanatized
Getting like American football to many breaks and lacks the spontaneous excitement.
The raw passion it used to have.
Has be diluted.
To be honest the powers that run the game are on the cusp of killing there own product,
Is it really going to sell a product around the world were certain teams just beat others more or less 9 times out of 10?
More and more of the people
I know are drifting away to be replaced by causal fans , problem with that is as soon as something else catches there eye they will be off there.
Can't blame them either.
The entertainment on show is expensive, rigged and to be honest mostly boring.
If Everton aren't playing I watch the lower league stuff rather than prem as it's more like the game
I used to know.
Couldn’t argue with any of that - I’d also add in how much a vipers nest the game is now - there’s no solidarity between fans/clubs - no-one out there is going to give a flying if this punishment leads to relegation/administration/liquidation - 140 years of existence thrown on the scrap heap just so the all conquering premier league can try to avoid being regulated by some entity that might make decisions in the interests of the game itself.

Ah well - I’ll just need to tune in some time after the official seasons end to watch an ant n dec special as it’s revealed who was actually relegated - texts cost £1.50 etc…

Couple of years ago for me. Once a eally unterested and enthusiastic follower if the game for four decades. My only involvement today is I look up the Everton result for old times sake and look at the GOT just because.

I agree with every reason listed in the posts above. The football authorities and sky will look at the attendances and their bank account alone and be happy, not realising that their cash mine is riddled with a rot they caused.

The Premier League was the beginning of the end for football in this country. Once we stopped distributing money 92 ways it was always going to be a problem for any team to compete from outside. Jack Walker managed it via vast spending but the days when you could build a team based on good scouting and management are gone. As soon as any team has a good player or two they're bought by the top clubs. It's been like this for a good while. Before Abramovich took over Chelsea when they were about to go bust I thought there was a chance but once he came in and skewed things it's been downhill ever since. As others have said, outside of the Premier League it's very competitive but the top division breaking away has ruined its competitiveness.

The game has been cooked for years, and not within this league.
Look to other leagues.
Scotland - Two horse race.
Spain- Two/Three (Genoa Italy* this year doing a Leicester).
Germany- Bayern.
France - PSG.
Holland - Three horse race.
Italy -Three.

Full disclosure, I haven't gone and checked the other leagues, but from that dip sample, it is the same teams within their respective league constantly challenging.

I have resigned myself to accepting Everton will never win the league again in my life, unless there is a fair overhaul of the system, that allows each club to compete, regardless of their standing - even newly promoted teams.

This top heavy system will inevitably collapse, I just hope it doesn't take established clubs along the way.
Girona*

The Premier League was the beginning of the end for football in this country. Once we stopped distributing money 92 ways it was always going to be a problem for any team to compete from outside. Jack Walker managed it via vast spending but the days when you could build a team based on good scouting and management are gone. As soon as any team has a good player or two they're bought by the top clubs. It's been like this for a good while. Before Abramovich took over Chelsea when they were about to go bust I thought there was a chance but once he came in and skewed things it's been downhill ever since. As others have said, outside of the Premier League it's very competitive but the top division breaking away has ruined its competitiveness.
Sadly, we were one of the Clubs that pushed for the Premier League. Football died in 1992.

Unfortunately, we are hooked on Everton emotionally and we just can't stop going. I detest the rule changes, the politics, the perceived 'corruption', the greed and disinterest of many players, the cheating, diving and rolling around, the stupidity of VAR, the non-sensical handball rule, the influence of the media, the lack of understanding by so-called professional pundits, the fact that grounds need sterile seating and Michelin star eateries. I do however love Everton. love meeting those around me week-in, week-out who are similarly addicted, I love walking up to Goodison in all weathers and still getting excited after over 35 years of the same walk....like most Blues its in our blood. Financially it would be a disaster (which in the present circumstance is truly ironic) but a stint in the Championship playing different teams, going to different grounds and no VAR would be a real tonic for the footballing soul if nothing else.

Sadly, we were one of the Clubs that pushed for the Premier League. Football died in 1992.

Unfortunately, we are hooked on Everton emotionally and we just can't stop going. I detest the rule changes, the politics, the perceived 'corruption', the greed and disinterest of many players, the cheating, diving and rolling around, the stupidity of VAR, the non-sensical handball rule, the influence of the media, the lack of understanding by so-called professional pundits, the fact that grounds need sterile seating and Michelin star eateries. I do however love Everton. love meeting those around me week-in, week-out who are similarly addicted, I love walking up to Goodison in all weathers and still getting excited after over 35 years of the same walk....like most Blues its in our blood. Financially it would be a disaster (which in the present circumstance is truly ironic) but a stint in the Championship playing different teams, going to different grounds and no VAR would be a real tonic for the footballing soul if nothing else.
Not to mention the fact we might actually win more games than we lose! I never understand why teams are desperate to get promoted. It generally leads to a season of being cannon fodder, winning about 6 games and being relegated.

When stadiums start to include things such as a microbrewery, in house bakery and cheese rooms to pad out revenue it gets a bit silly really doesn't it.

Where does it end? How do you compete with that?
Now that you have to be profitable withing 3 years of building any form of infrastructure, you can't.

I doubt there is stadium built that has a 3 year payback budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.