January transfer window 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be a bad idea if we knew when the ban was coming in but as it stands there's only one thing that's certain and it's we are currently -10. Potentially -19 so we cannot weaken our squad further in the 'hope' of a transfer ban.
I'm not really suggesting weakening the squad. Obviously, if we sell Onana, we have to replace him with multiple players to make the rebuild part of the strategy work. It's up to the recruiting department to do a good job with that so that it's not overall a weakening.

Granted, this all depends on competency in that department, and - given our track record - that's why I'm only suggesting this as an interesting possibility rather than outright arguing for it as a complete necessity.

Right, which is precisely my point. We should be planning for all contingencies.

If I remember correctly, in our original response to the commission, we suggested a fine / transfer ban as punishment. So it seems to me that the appeal board may very well just say, "Ok, we'll give you the points back and then go with the punishment you asked for yourselves."

Like you said, we will be well short on squad numbers in the summer whether we sell anyone or not. If we do get a transfer ban, how do we cope with that? I mean, we're not just going to forfeit the season, so we have to do something to fill out the squad. Bring up youth players? Obviously that just makes us prime relegation candidates for next year.

Surely the club has to at least look at this possibility and be a little more proactive in this window than we would normally be. But then I do remember which club we're talking about here...
Yeah, I worry more about a transfer ban than I do about the ten points tbh. It would be just like them to switch it to an embargo knowing it probably screws us more while sounding more lenient.

It would be prudent, but maybe impossible, to get a good few more players under permanent contract this month. It may well even be the reason we’re contemplating one big sale, to bring in the 3-4 needed to protect against a possible embargo.

Yeah, I worry more about a transfer ban than I do about the ten points tbh. It would be just like them to switch it to an embargo knowing it probably screws us more while sounding more lenient.

It would be prudent, but maybe impossible, to get a good few more players under permanent contract this month. It may well even be the reason we’re contemplating one big sale, to bring in the 3-4 needed to protect against a possible embargo.
Exactly. If on appeal they switch the punishment to a transfer ban, they get a dual benefit: 1) It removes the precedent of a draconian points deduction, easing the pressure that would otherwise be applied by the media / fans when they inevitably don't give City and Chelsea points deductions of their own, and 2) It probably punishes us even more harshly in the long run, given that we're likely to survive this season even -10 down but would be hard put to do it again next season with a bench full of kids and a starting 11 with a sprinkle of players well past it.

And, like I said, we did ask for it. So, going on no other information than a personal hunch, it just feels like a real possibility that's on the table. We can't do a whole 7-8 player squad rebuild this window, but if we could sell 1 and bring in 2-3, it would at least be hedging our bets without destroying this current season - assuming, of course, that we do it correctly.

They will probably change it to a transfer ban as soon as the window closes whilst emailing us the opposite the sneaky little goons.

Devil's advocate, but does selling Onana for XX amount and buying 2 or 3 players for XX amount weaken the squad?
Problem is how much money we can spend with it , i think it we do sell at the end of season we could replace him with 2/3 players

….stating the obvious, but it depends on who’s brought in. Its why the DoF earns big bucks.

i’m not convinced by Thelwell, very much a mixed bag and there won’t be room to bring in flops.
I think Thelwell is doing a better job than the people before him.

He got Maupay in and he saw he wasnt suitable fairly quickly and got him out the door.

I dont think he has any real black marks next to him currently.

Onana - HIT
McNeil - HIT
Maupay - MISS, but offloaded fairly quickly
Garner - HIT
Gana - HIT
Tarks - HIT
Coady - HIT
Vingare - MISS

Beto - Jury Out
Chermo - Jury Out
Danjuma - HIT, considering its a loan
Young - HIT, free and played a lot of games
Harrison - HIT

So in short, I wouldnt be worried about him spending the money, personally.

No surprise today’s rumours. I expect both to leave before the end of the month if the 777 deal falls through. If 777 goes through I think one still goes

I'm not really suggesting weakening the squad. Obviously, if we sell Onana, we have to replace him with multiple players to make the rebuild part of the strategy work. It's up to the recruiting department to do a good job with that so that it's not overall a weakening.

Granted, this all depends on competency in that department, and - given our track record - that's why I'm only suggesting this as an interesting possibility rather than outright arguing for it as a complete necessity.
Yeah I suppose it just depends on how competent you think our recruitment staff is. I'm also skeptical how much we would have to play around with. If we sell for 60 then 5 is going straight to Lille and I'd assume 30 would go to also paying them off. Then you've got how much the board would have to skim off the top to keep us running and suddenly we have like 15 million to replace a 60 million pound cornerstone in January when no-one wants to sell. #WelcomeHendo

Status
Not open for further replies.