2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

No, it really is that he can't finish. I think that goal a couple weeks ago was that first he scored outside the box. He's really really good at just about everything to be a top class striker except being even average at finishing. Give him Ollie Watkins finishing ability and he'd be a top 5 striker, even higher maybe. Dom really is poor at finishing.
I dont think many Strikers have 50 Premier League goals if they cant finish.

Your top class finisher Ollie Watkins has a Season high of 15 goals, Dom has a season high of 16 goals.

How mads dat.

Your top class finisher Ollie Watkins has a Season high of 15 goals, Dom has a season high of 16 goals.

How mads dat.
Last season, there were nine players who scored 14< (fifteen or more goals). In 21/2, there were eight, and the year before that there were seven.

When you look at the names, you see the few familiar names and clubs who are always or regularly there, sprinkled with the odd flash in the pan season.

Unless it's Kane, Salah, Son and a few others at those select clubs, the days of having a regular fifteen goal a season striker in the PL are well gone.

Based on that, I'd be content (not happy) with Dom getting ten or a few more per season, but again that's looking unlikely at the moment.

I'd be happy with Dom getting 10+ a season but he allows goals to be scored around the rest of the team. He made a great run across the defence that took a defender out of the goal centre and gave space for McNeil to get his shot off for our first against the barcodes, if DCL doesnt make that run, the goal was a lot more crowded and much harder for DM to do his stuff. Complicated game thisfooty stuff.

3 of his goals this season have been composed finishes though?

Well I’m not sure. He took his finish against West Ham well, but the Brentford goal for example went through the keeper. Yes, a goal is a goal, but I think it’s fair to say if you put him completely clean through on goal 100 times he probably scores 50 or 60 times.

He has a lot of strengths to his game, but finishing isn’t one of them, and that’s completely fair. If he was the perfect striker he wouldn’t be at Everton. We definitely are his level and he is ours.

Well I’m not sure. He took his finish against West Ham well, but the Brentford goal for example went through the keeper. Yes, a goal is a goal, but I think it’s fair to say if you put him completely clean through on goal 100 times he probably scores 50 or 60 times.

He has a lot of strengths to his game, but finishing isn’t one of them, and that’s completely fair. If he was the perfect striker he wouldn’t be at Everton. We definitely are his level and he is ours.
🤔

More like 10 times.

How mads dat.
OK, and how many does Dom have in any other season? Because its all about how many they have in one season, right?

Last edited:

How mads dat.
DCL 1 in 4 matches goal scorer.
Watkins 1 in 2.5 matches goal scorer.

If he was the perfect striker he wouldn’t be at Everton. We definitely are his level and he is ours.
this every day of the week, he's decent and does a job, should score more with the chances he gets, people are so used to the absolute garbage we have had upfront in recent years ( since rom left tbf ) that they massively over rate how good DCL actually is

Hells a terrible finisher.

The one season he score a lot under Ancelotti he was getting a shedload of crosses into the box.
A few of those goals deflected off his arse from a yard out. I'm not sure he has the most natural technique to be a good finisher, I don't think he knows himself where abouts in the goal his shots are going to go.

One thing I would say though is, though the service to him in the air that season under Ancelotti was excellent - I do think he's a decent finisher in the air, and if we keep the aerial service coming he'll score more than a few headers

Last season, there were nine players who scored 14< (fifteen or more goals). In 21/2, there were eight, and the year before that there were seven.

When you look at the names, you see the few familiar names and clubs who are always or regularly there, sprinkled with the odd flash in the pan season.

Unless it's Kane, Salah, Son and a few others at those select clubs, the days of having a regular fifteen goal a season striker in the PL are well gone.

Based on that, I'd be content (not happy) with Dom getting ten or a few more per season, but again that's looking unlikely at the moment.
I don't care how many he gets as long as he helps the team win
Defenders hate playing him, he makes space for others, holds the ball up well and we are clearly better when he's in the team