6 + 2 Point Deductions

An independent Commission has imposed an immediate deduction of 10 points on Everton FC for a breach of the Premier League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSRs).

The Premier League issued a complaint against the Club and referred the case to an independent Commission earlier this year. During the proceedings, the Club admitted it was in breach of the PSRs for the period ending Season 2021/22 but the extent of the breach remained in dispute.

Following a five-day hearing last month, the Commission determined that Everton FC’s PSR Calculation for the relevant period resulted in a loss of £124.5million, as contended by the Premier League, which exceeded the threshold of £105million permitted under the PSRs. The Commission concluded that a sporting sanction in the form of a 10-point deduction should be imposed. That sanction has immediate effect.

Click here to read the independent Commission’s full written reasons.

Click here to read a further decision by the Chair of the Commission, dated 9 May 2023, regarding applications from Leicester City FC, Burnley FC, Southampton FC, Leeds United FC and Nottingham Forest FC.

Commissions are independent of the Premier League and member Clubs. The members of the Commission were appointed by the independent Chair of the Premier League Judicial Panel, in accordance with Premier League Rules W.19, W.20 and W.26.

Not to be forgotten..

Biggest sporting sanction the PL have ever gave out, Portsmouth and Middlesbrough only two PL clubs who had deductions and both were relegated

Sadly I agree, from reading that document we look so guilty.

The only thing is that the punishment is kinda just been plucked out of thin air and is more than a club would get for going into administration - and I am not sure that is quite fair
We literally admit guilt, but to a lesser value than the £19million. The only thing to appeal is the punishment, which does appear astronomical.

Lots of talk about the PL doing this to avoid outside regulation. If they give 10 points for £19mill overspend and bugger all for a decade long spate of deliberate fraudulence, the regulators will be all over them.

I disagree - its a breach of PSR by less than £20 million, and has attracted almost the upper end of the scale of points deduction (10 out of a maximum 12) despite extensive cooperation and them looking over the books.

The verdict might not be overturned but the deduction could (should) be reduced, simply because it (if left in place) leaves clubs thinking of breaching PSR a precedent that you may as well absolutely cane it and obstruct the process because you'll only get an extra two points if they find you guilty.

Yes, I thought worse case scenario would be 3-5 point deduction so that should be the appeal focus imo. I don't have endless knowledge of FFP rules and regulations but I assume you can't argue there weren't any crowds for 18 months so that formed part of the deficit losing that guaranteed income from an act of nature?

Rich of me to say living so far away but every fan at Goodison needs to make matches nigh-unwatchable. Boo and swear into the pitchside mics as much as they can.

Manager and players need to highlight this farce in every interview they give from now on

Given the P&S assessment covers 3 years (or 4 due to Covid), it’s impossible to know which seasons relegation teams were actually affected.
The idea of the suing was that if they'd pushed through the charges immediately when they were known, we could've had the deduction and been relegated that season. Realistically, only the team who finished 18th can sue though.

The worst thing about this is it's confirmation we have cheated.

Dyche will rack up the points in no time, there should be no concern about staying up - I think we will be out of the relegation zone within 2 games personally.

Longer term our reputation has been shattered.
I know this is bait, but stop.

This Muppet and the rest of the ones we sacked for the board need to be putting out resignations and apologies to fans. This didn't happen ina vacuum, people either knew or were paid enough that they should have known and headed this off.

If this had happened last year I would have taken threats against the safety seriously because they've absolutely destroyed us.