The Back Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind it in with Garner at RB, he's a CM and that's where he wants and should be played, the other 3 struggle to control and pass a ball properly.

Another thread where you can slate Patterson again, wonderful. Also Ashley Young hasn't covered himself in glory he's been worse than most and yet people want to shift him over to the right. No. Bench for the 38 year old. IMO.

We need another fullback, really - we only get away with the diabolical options we currently have because we normally have immense grafters ahead of them who come back to help out in McNeil on the left side, and Iwobi on the right side. It's not just a lack of quality that caused Wolves to get so much joy from out wide - the alternatives simply don't cover as much ground because they don't quite have the stamina that McNeil and Iwobi do (I suspect a big part why the recruitment team have been high on Harrison for a while, who is more of a like for like replacement). When you pair that with defensively weak fullbacks in Young and Patterson, yeah, you'll get rinsed down the flanks half of the game.

Things will get better after the international break when both of them are back - but I'd much sooner be prioritising getting one of Mykolenko or (for me personally) Patterson as far away from the first team as possible for now, than the much lauded 'out and out right winger' that I keep seeing people clamour for. Any replacement needs to be able to hold their own without having a lung busting winger ahead of them tracking back constantly.

Personally I think the squad is better suited to a 4/2/3/1 when everyone is fit and available. And I’d have Garner and Onana as the two deep sitting midfielders

Alternatively we could go with 3 at the back and involve Garner and Young as wing backs: 3421...

--------------Tarkowski---Branthwaite-----Godfrey

Garner------------Gueye------------ Onana----------------Young

----------------------Doucoure
-------------------------------------------Danjuma

--------------------------Beto

Alternatively we could go with 3 at the back and involve Garner and Young as wing backs: 3421...

--------------Tarkowski---Branthwaite-----Godfrey

Garner------------Gueye------------ Onana----------------Young

----------------------Doucoure
-------------------------------------------Danjuma

--------------------------Beto
Am I correct in thinking that at this moment in time Everton only have 3 centre backs. That would mean there’s no centre half on the bench and it means that if one gets injured or suspended then the whole formation needs to change. No I don’t think that team selection gets the best players on the pitch in their best positions.
I’d go something like
Pickford
Back 4
Garner. Onana
Harrison. McNeil. Danjuma
C/F
And there’s options to change / switch players around and bring in the likes of Doucoure, Gana and Iwobi maybe even Dobbins

The midfield is already killing us, yet you want to take our best midfielder out and play him at RB til Coleman comes back from his leg break?

Patterson was the least of our problems yesterday, but the boo boys and the agenda must go on.

Tarkowski, young, Gana and Pickford all woeful but let’s single out the kid?!

Joke.

Am I correct in thinking that at this moment in time Everton only have 3 centre backs. That would mean there’s no centre half on the bench and it means that if one gets injured or suspended then the whole formation needs to change. No I don’t think that team selection gets the best players on the pitch in their best positions.
I’d go something like
Pickford
Back 4
Garner. Onana
Harrison. McNeil. Danjuma
C/F
And there’s options to change / switch players around and bring in the likes of Doucoure, Gana and Iwobi maybe even Dobbins
We have Tarkowski, Branthwaite, Keane and Godfrey who can play there.

The midfield is already killing us, yet you want to take our best midfielder out and play him at RB til Coleman comes back from his leg break?

Patterson was the least of our problems yesterday, but the boo boys and the agenda must go on.

Joke.

He did lose the ball 20 times but that was due to a variety of things, including my pet peeve with Everton which is the other players not being available for the pass, his crossing wasn't great but again if the Dutch fella could head a ball he'd have an assist.
Didn't cover himself in glory for the goal, however yet again talks was out if position and what was Pickford doing.

Dunno why he's getting the blame tho this is on dyche

Joke.
He's not our best MF, Onana is. He needs coaching to make him more disciplined, but he has an eye for a telling forward pass that splits an opposition defence. Garner is a MF who recycles the ball more than Onana.

Godfrey in for Patterson would make sense in the short term. (Wouldn’t put him anywhere else as he’s no CB) Patterson started quite well when signed but has had an awful time this season so far. Myko for Young didn’t seem like a conversation after game 1 but I’m not so sure now. Branthwaite and Tarkowski is an easy first choice in the middle.

Could do with another FB/CB on loan or bought in.

He did lose the ball 20 times but that was due to a variety of things, including my pet peeve with Everton which is the other players not being available for the pass, his crossing wasn't great but again if the Dutch fella could head a ball he'd have an assist.
Didn't cover himself in glory for the goal, however yet again talks was out if position and what was Pickford doing.

Dunno why he's getting the blame tho this is on dyche
I’m not a fan of Pickford kicking the ball long as often as he has been, especially when there’s no DCL, but to be fair to him the amount of times he’s had the ball at his feet and none of the midfield are dropping deep, showing for a pass is poor.

He's not our best MF, Onana is. He needs coaching to make him more disciplined, but he has an eye for a telling forward pass that splits an opposition defence. Garner is a MF who recycles the ball more than Onana.
Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.