2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kev gets Gnonto Chermiti and a another striker lets say its Ekitikitktktteikike fella over the line

Would you be happy?
Has he redeemed himself?

Im willing to give him till the end of the window, see if his strategy really is work the best deals down to the wire, and prioritize getting in good players cheap than getting them in early(assuming hes actually been given funding). If he brings in Chermiti and 2 more Id say 3 of the 5 need to look good(including at least 2 of the 3 purchases) then its been a good two years. If the attack is still short staffed by September and hes been funded its on him.
I think that may be the issue

That makes zero sense. Thelwell doesn’t control the financials and he doesn’t sign the cheques does he? He can identify all the talented strikers in the world, but if those above him don’t stump up the cash and sign off the deals he’s worked on, then what is he supposed to do? It’s bizarre to point the finger in his direction. This isn’t hearsay or rumour, we’ve heard it from Moshiri’s mouth exactly how transfers operate at this club. We’ve even seen Moshiri quoted recently on why he’s kept Kenwright at the club in the short term, to negotiate the transfers! We even heard Moshiri’s interview with the fans thingy, how it starts with Thelwell, then it’s out of his hands and passed on to Kenwright, and then it’s passed on to Moshiri himself and they all have to agree before Moshiri signs off the deal. People need to seriously cut Thelwell some slack here. It’s clear as day he’s doing his job well with the players he’s identified the last couple of years, Mudryk, Kudus, Toure, to name but a few. The ID profile of the players he’s identifying is very good, not his fault the idiots above him don’t back him and can’t complete deals that he’s set up.
I‘m not sure it’s clear he is doing well, but absolutely he can only work in the environment created by the Board. I think the thing for me is we actually do not know how well or poor he is doing. I would be inclined to give him the benefit because…

1) One of the ITKs (Bobble?) said he identified Toure last year for £6m but Kenwright or Moshiri pulled the plug and opted for Maupay - I’m inclined to believe this as there have been numerous rumours from different sources in respect of this type of behaviour

2) If he is doing poorly he will be the third DoF to have done so, and at some point you have to look at the people above and finally…

3) This transfer window is very reminiscent of the pattern of transfer windows pre Moshiri when Kenwright was in charge when we knew had no money.

I think in those circumstances, you are right…it is absolutely difficult to blame him completely, and I think short sighted to do so. Where I have been critical of him, is this…..if he values himself as an operator at this level, his reputation and credibility will be vital to him. If he is being undermined, he should resign. I am sure he would find himself in a new role in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.