2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
He cost 1.5million and is one of our better attacking players
10 million is a very fair asking price, even with his contract situation
Agree with all of that really. It's a crying shame that the first sentence rings true as it speaks volumes about how bad we are.

We brought in Townsend and Gray for 1.7m and they, instead of being fringe players as intended, became mainstays of our starting xi.

We need to lose Gray, and follow it up with Maupay plus two of Keane/Godfrey/Holgate leaving.

Oh, and any of the above is ONLY good if we don't replace them with dross which is usually what we do. If we intend on doing that we might as well just offer all the players here extended contracts.

We brought in Townsend and Gray for 1.7m and they, instead of being fringe players as intended, became mainstays of our starting xi.

I don't think they were intended to be fringe players, Benitez bought them and played a formation in which they were our best two options.

I don't think they were intended to be fringe players, Benitez bought them and played a formation in which they were our best two options.
Both of them came out at the time admitting they knew they had been brought in as squad options and they hoped they might be able to force their way into starting xi.

Agree with all of that really. It's a crying shame that the first sentence rings true as it speaks volumes about how bad we are.

We need to lose Gray, and follow it up with Maupay plus two of Keane/Godfrey/Holgate leaving.

Oh, and any of the above is ONLY good if we don't replace them with dross which is usually what we do. If we intend on doing that we might as well just offer all the players here extended contracts.
The reality is, we lose Gray and our ONLY actual wingers now are Danjuma and McNeil

As well as a striker, we probably need 2 more wingers (we needed one anyway, now we need a gray replacement)

However, doing all that and not selling Maupay (a likely scenario) cripples us on the books

Sales are beyond imperative - unfortunately Gray is not the one we need gone most, not by a long shot, you named those who are, could add a few more on too to be honest…

Both of them came out at the time admitting they knew they had been brought in as squad options and they hoped they might be able to force their way into starting xi.

Did you just make that up like?

Gray:

“I want to push on, be a pivotal player in the squad, help the team score goals and assist goals,” said Gray.

“I feel like I’m at a period in my career now where I can put everything together and achieve the targets I have set for myself.

“Personally, I just want to help this team succeed, win games and be up there in the table, and to enjoy my football.

“I’m a speedy, tricky winger who enjoys running with the ball. I like to play anywhere along the front three and I feel like I can be dangerous in all areas. And with the ability I know I have and the belief in myself, I can help this team.”

Townsend

“My job now is to prove I’m good enough to be an important part of this football club and that’s what I’m working hard in training and in games – and whenever I get the opportunity in pre-season - to prove I’m good enough to be an important player here. That’s what drives me.”

Take a look at the Dele thread

There are actually Evertonians that think Dele can help us more, at the number we'd have to pay Spurs, than Demarai Gray

It's like people haven't actually watched Dele play football the last 5 years or so. They are probably the same who think Ross Barkley would help us

Take a look at the Dele thread

There are actually Evertonians that think Dele can help us more, at the number we'd have to pay Spurs, than Demarai Gray

It's like people haven't actually watched Dele play football the last 5 years or so. They are probably the same who think Ross Barkley would help us

Yeh be real hard to replace all those 4 goals Gray scored last season.

trouble is its 5 x from a v low fee, which is still peanuts in todays game and we would have to pay much more to obtain the same experience and quality

Gnonto, there’s your Gray replacement

Id rather his fee went to 50% (or whatever it is) of Gnontos fee...or Iling-Juniors fee than keep him.

Those two may well double in value or become long term players for us.

At the very least, theres potential there and both are team players.

Status
Not open for further replies.