2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's hard to judge players and their ability under Lampard because he was tactically so naff and felt like sometimes players were asked to just go and play football.

….bit of a strange view.

Maupay was a forward playing as a forward. Regardless of tactics, regardless of manager he has failed to display the basic skill set of a forward. Posters should stop making excuses for him, he’s been extremely poor.

….bit of a strange view.

Maupay was a forward playing as a forward. Regardless of tactics, regardless of manager he has failed to display the basic skill set of a forward. Posters should stop making excuses for him, he’s been extremely poor.

I think you misunderstood my post. I originally said he has been poor for us and under Dyche, but consider McNeil for example. He was written off and everyone on here hated him but he's morphed into arguably our best outfield player under Dyche. I don't think I was impressed by anyone at all under Lampard last season aside from someone like Iwobi but that was more due to effort rather than outstanding ability.

To rephrase, post-Lampard I was willing to give players like Maupay a chance to show if they had anything about them and someone like McNeil has rose to the occassion whereas Maupay has shown that he's just a poor player for what we are trying to do.
What type of player is he and how should we be playing him?

I think he's 'fine' in a system that Potter played him in at Brighton. If you play on the ground, you play with wide forwards that can score goals and you basically want to throttle the opponents box with numbers then he's fine to chip in 5-10 goals a season. He's not great, but a typical average PL player that is fine to have in your squad. In a counter attacking system that wants to play direct with long balls then yeah, he will be crap.

It’s perfectly normal for a second striker to not be able to do any of those things mate.
Like a dummy hand in Bridge and a right nuisance to the opposition if used properly...
...we play him like sticking a goalkeeper up into the box for a last minute hopeful chance of a goal...
Mick Lyons is not Bob Latchford...

Like a dummy hand in Bridge and a right nuisance to the opposition if used properly...
...we play him like sticking a goalkeeper up into the box for a last minute hopeful chance of a goal...
Mick Lyons is not Bob Latchford...

Why can’t he be a nuisance to the opposition in the position we’re playing him in? Richarlison was a nuisance to the opposition whether we played him on the left, right, up front on his own or up front in a 2. Why do we need to build our entire team and tactics around Neal Maupay for him to be even slightly effective?

The excuses aren’t good enough and don’t make any sense. People were trying to tell me he was a second striker yesterday and when I showed the evidence that he never played as a second striker for Brighton they all disappeared. We need to stop making excuses for these players, they are crap and there’s a reason why nobody wants them and other teams were happy to ship them off to us.

Brighton vs Everton: xG was 3.58 versus 2.94; the score was Brighton 1 - 5 Everton. So, I'd say it's pointless is all you need to know.

xG is pointless, xG without context is pointless though.

We were 3-0 up at half time and could well have been 5 up at half time.

It's good for feeling how good the chances each team created were in most normal games of footy, but that Brighton game wasn't a normal one. We just completely smoked them.

Why can’t he be a nuisance to the opposition in the position we’re playing him in? Richarlison was a nuisance to the opposition whether we played him on the left, right, up front on his own or up front in a 2. Why do we need to build our entire team and tactics around Neal Maupay for him to be even slightly effective?

The excuses aren’t good enough and don’t make any sense. People were trying to tell me he was a second striker yesterday and when I showed the evidence that he never played as a second striker for Brighton they all disappeared. We need to stop making excuses for these players, they are crap and there’s a reason why nobody wants them and other teams were happy to ship them off to us.
Team building from our recruitment gurus is akin to banging square pegs into round holes rather than roundish things into big oblong holes... No excuses but bit of common sense goes a long way.

Danjuma to the rescue. They point of emphasizing that he plays the position in his first interview I think because they internet to use him there.
Yeah it might he might end up being our second choice striker, and DCL for 10 games a year being a 1st choice.

I think you misunderstood my post. I originally said he has been poor for us and under Dyche, but consider McNeil for example. He was written off and everyone on here hated him but he's morphed into arguably our best outfield player under Dyche. I don't think I was impressed by anyone at all under Lampard last season aside from someone like Iwobi but that was more due to effort rather than outstanding ability.

To rephrase, post-Lampard I was willing to give players like Maupay a chance to show if they had anything about them and someone like McNeil has rose to the occassion whereas Maupay has shown that he's just a poor player for what we are trying to do.

I think he's 'fine' in a system that Potter played him in at Brighton. If you play on the ground, you play with wide forwards that can score goals and you basically want to throttle the opponents box with numbers then he's fine to chip in 5-10 goals a season. He's not great, but a typical average PL player that is fine to have in your squad. In a counter attacking system that wants to play direct with long balls then yeah, he will be crap.
What have any of his chances against Wigan got to do whether we play a potter system or any other system. Last season plenty of good balls went into the box that he was nowhere near that other strikers would thrive off, he also got on the end of chances and absolutely fluffed everyone apart from 1 against West Ham he’s utter 💩

Status
Not open for further replies.