2022/23 Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a second striker who’s entire game is about linking play and getting into the box late whilst a main striker distracts defenders as he used to do at Brighton.

Perhaps that was Lampard’s thinking on paper setting up as 352 with Maupay behind DCL. Once the injury to DCL occurred that was out of the window and we then asked Maupay to lead the line which just isn’t his game.

We can all call him crap as many times as we want, he’s slotted in the prem for this forum’s favourite team numerous times and was highly rated by this forum’s previous favourite manager. If Dyche wants to play with Doucoure, Iwobi or Dele off the central striker in a 451 then we’d be best letting him leave for a club who’ll make better use of him.

….sadly, he hasn’t demonstrated the basic skills of a striker, even a 2nd striker. A 2nd central striker has decent back to goal skills because he’ll often receive the ball in that position. A 2nd striker will be sharp running in behind defenders but Maupay never causes problems running in behind. A 2nd striker will be sharp as a tack and take up great positions in the box, Maupay shows no instinct and his technique is ordinary.

You say his game is about arriving in the box late. I wish. Just watch how many times he labours to hit the box when wide players go beyond him.

His level of performance should never be excused. For a forward, he’s been close to diabolical. I can only think he’s signed the deal and been comfortable getting his monies. The fact Keane said he’s super fit this season suggests he wasn’t training hard last season. He’s played like a Blob on a football pitch.

Don’t make excuses for him, never forget Gray is not a central striker and was deemed more effective in critical games. It says everything.

Last edited:
….sadly, he hasn’t demonstrated the basic skills of a striker, even a 2nd striker. A 2nd central striker has decent back to goal skills because he’ll often receive the ball in that position. A 2nd striker will be sharp running in behind defenders but Maupay never causes problems running in behind. A 2nd striker will be sharp as a tack and take up great positions in the box, Maupay shows no instinct and his technique is ordinary.

You say his game is about arriving in the box late. I wish. Just watch how many times he labours to hit the box when wide players go beyond him.

His level of performance should never be excused. For a forward, he’s been close to diabolical. I can only think he’s signed the deal and been comfortable getting his monies. The fact Keane said he’s super fit this season suggests he wasn’t training hard last season. He’s played like a Blob on a football pitch.

Don’t make excuses for him, never forget Gray is not a central striker and was deemed more effective in critical games. It says everything.
Just watched the Wigan Highlights.

It is always said that a player always looks better in the highlights than what they do if you watched the entire match.

All I can say is, Lord help us if he looked better in the highlights.

Just watched the Wigan Highlights.

It is always said that a player always looks better in the highlights than what they do if you watched the entire match.

All I can say is, Lord help us if he looked better in the highlights.

….I judge him on his performances for Everton, not what he did for other clubs & he‘s very poor. Any suggestion it’s because he’s a 2nd striker is absolutely no excuse for his lack of effectiveness.

….I judge him on his performances for Everton, not what he did for other clubs & he‘s very poor. Any suggestion it’s because he’s a 2nd striker is absolutely no excuse for his lack of effectiveness.
But he has scored for other clubs earlier in his career.
Why can't he hit the net at Everton.

But he has scored for other clubs earlier in his career.
Why can't he hit the net at Everton.

….scoring goals is only one aspect of forward play. When your team is under the cosh, you occupy the opposition defence with balls played up to you, relieving pressure by getting free kicks. When your team is attacking, you link play and get into the box to get on the end of crosses. You almost thrive with the challenge.

I have no idea why he doesn’t score goals, just being a central attacker on the pitch you score a few goals but it’s woeful all around performance that most annoys me. It’s what attackers do, even 2nd attackers.

Perhaps it’s lack of application, perhaps footy doesn’t matter but he plays like a spent force.

Folk have said this about Morgan Schnederlin and Michael Keane both have spoken about there being interest from other clubs, wanting to go and the club wanted to keep them. If the player wants to go and the club want to sell, they’ll find a way.
Maybe. Maupay would require a spectacular pitch though. I don’t know who would want him on a free

Why do I get the feeling he'll be our starting striker when the season starts.

When he's played the plan seems to be hit it long to him.and when he looses the header try and win the second ball

We need something else up front

Why do I get the feeling he'll be our starting striker when the season starts.

When he's played the plan seems to be hit it long to him.and when he looses the header try and win the second ball

We need something else up front
Danjuma to the rescue. They point of emphasizing that he plays the position in his first interview I think because they internet to use him there.

Fantastic post, destroying a lot of myth about what position best suits him. His lack of basic football abilities is the problem. Not the position.

Maupay is a strange one.
Nobody expected that he would solve all our striking problems but he was having a decent career and I felt he could contribute something to our season.
I thought we could probably expect about 7 or 8 goals from him based on previous seasons.

It is hard to understand how someone could become so alarmingly bad in such a short time. Even the way he immediately ran off the pitch at full time rather than staying around to shake hands with other players was telling.

The only excuse I could make for was that he played while feeling unwell. I think he just probably wants out of Everton and will be surprised if he is still here in 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.