Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're a football team with no actual footballers, lost count how many times the ball got passed out of play never mind passed to the opposition or first touches bouncing anywhere or the ball rolling under feet.

Hard to believe Mina can’t get a game, he’s clearly for the exit door along with quite a few others.
80% of the squad will be gone if we go down. But surely that shouldn’t be the reason Mina can’t get a game? I just think dyche has his favourites and once he makes his mind up on players that’s it. Coady got dropped for Keane after a couple of iffy performances and Keane stinks the gaff out regularly and keeps his place? Godfrey is a terrible right back, he was all over the place against united and Fulham but comes back in last night, while Patterson sits on the bench? Changes have to be made but seems he’s too stubborn.

After yet another humiliation I know the players must take most of the criticism but I think the manager has to take his share as well, he is no better than nearly all the other so called managers we have had. Get rid of the lot them and lets start again with a good established championship manager.

Morning all, newcastle fan here, not to gloat i promise. We as a fanbase know exactly what you are going through, years of mismanagement under our esteemed cockney leader left us standing above the trapdoor on more than one occasion, we fell through it twice into the dreaded championship. Two things can happen, Burnley… re-group , lose the dead wood and come back stronger
Sunderland.. sink into oblivion
One thing i will say is that it aint over until mathematically possible and what i saw in the first half last night suggests with DCL firing you have a chance. Leicester have some good players but confidence is fragile at the bottom, get at them early and their ars*s will go
I personally hope you manage the pressure and stay up, good luck

80% of the squad will be gone if we go down. But surely that shouldn’t be the reason Mina can’t get a game? I just think dyche has his favourites and once he makes his mind up on players that’s it. Coady got dropped for Keane after a couple of iffy performances and Keane stinks the gaff out regularly and keeps his place? Godfrey is a terrible right back, he was all over the place against united and Fulham but comes back in last night, while Patterson sits on the bench? Changes have to be made but seems he’s too stubborn.
80% of the squad will be gone? What are you basing that on? Who would take Maupay, Godfrey, or Davis, to name just three? These guys are on serious money and have no intention of taking pay cuts to move even if a PL club actually wanted any of them. As for the hope that they may have signed contracts which include pay cuts in the event of relegation do you actually believe anyone in the club would have the foresight to add that to any contract? Good Hod, Lampard was considering extending Iwobi’s contract with a huge pay rise just before he was sacked.

The goals we conceded in injury time against Newcastle a few years ago were all time Everton classics.

They were Bob, but last night that was definitely the worst I've seen. 3 different players had 2 chances each to not just put a tackle in bit go through the man and they all let him waltz through.

It was shambolic, embarrassing, lacked professionalism and actually was that bad that I wouldn't have been surprised if one of them had a
Morning all, newcastle fan here, not to gloat i promise. We as a fanbase know exactly what you are going through, years of mismanagement under our esteemed cockney leader left us standing above the trapdoor on more than one occasion, we fell through it twice into the dreaded championship. Two things can happen, Burnley… re-group , lose the dead wood and come back stronger
Sunderland.. sink into oblivion
One thing i will say is that it aint over until mathematically possible and what i saw in the first half last night suggests with DCL firing you have a chance. Leicester have some good players but confidence is fragile at the bottom, get at them early and their ars*s will go
I personally hope you manage the pressure and stay up, good luck

Fairplay last night, last half hour was a proper good pummelling. I've just mentioned in a previous post, out of all the players you've signed, Trippier is right up there as the best signing you've made.

His mentality and professionalism is absolutely spot on. Got yourselves a proper player there and worth every penny of whatever wage he's on.

Fairplay last night, last half hour was a proper good pummelling. I've just mentioned in a previous post, out of all the players you've signed, Trippier is right up there as the best signing you've made.

His mentality and professionalism is absolutely spot on. Got yourselves a proper player there and worth every penny of whatever wage he's on.

Newcastle fan here - signed up to reply to this.

Trippier has been the catalyst for everything.

He's put a can-do, winning attitude into the dressing room - whilst backing it up on the pitch.

Howe spending time with Simone - yes, he watched his training - but it's an overplayed myth.

Trippier has had the Simeone influence on this side - not Howe.

Playing for Simone Trippier learnt to how defend and leant the skill of being able to hate losing.

Afternoon all - definitely not hear to gloat, as your entire situation reminds me so much of where we were a few years ago. Nothing but sympathy.

Very similar to West Ham away from us. Slow start, lucky to go in at the half level if we're being honest.

In recent weeks teams who have tried to play through us have had some success. I was shocked (maybe I shouldn't have been, given your manager) at how much you just tried to lump it long. That's genuinely not caused us a problem all season. The couple of times you tried to play through us you were unlucky with the disallowed goal and DCL made pop save it. I thought Targett should have been targeted - pardon the pun - as he has no pace at all. The one time Iwobi did he had to commit a foul and put him on a yellow. In that instance, Howe would have definitely went at your left-side in order to make life difficult for the carded player.

From the outside looking in, it just looks like you don't have anybody with any balls for the situation you're in. Ala NUFC 09 and 16 - players just happy to rinse the club for wages as they can go back to their flash 7 bed mansions and Ferrari's. It's our life. It really is [Poor language removed] to see. As I said in my maiden post, my late Grandfather was an Evertonian and I've always thought the club/fans were comparable to NUFC. Could be well off there, just the impression I got. Working-class, hating Tories and the football is everything to us.

First half was gritty and I was worried we weren't coping with (what looked like on tele) a hostile atmosphere. In the end we could have scored 5 or 6. Cracking save from Pickford from that Willock volley.

Genuinely wish you nothing but the best of luck for the rest of the season. Hopefully we can help you out a tad when we play Leeds & Leicester.

I know it's easy for me to say when my team is flying - but stick with it. Owners, managers & players come and go. What is the constant is us as fans. If you go down, as [Poor language removed] as it is in the short term, it will help you get that connection back. That's speaking from experience. New grounds to visit, new players to cheer on. Maybe a few academy lads having breakouts. A lot can change in a short space of time. If you'd told me 21 months ago I'd be praying we can get 10 points from our remaining 6 games to get Champions League football I'd have asked you to put the bottle down (yes, I'm aware we've had financial help, but a lot of it is down to coaching).

I do hope you stay up though - all the very best going forward. I'll be keeping an eye out for you as I always have. As you'd expect, my Grandad would be turning in his grave (or bouncing round his urn, if I'm being accurate...)

Newcastle fan here - signed up to reply to this.

Trippier has been the catalyst for everything.

He's put a can-do, winning attitude into the dressing room - whilst backing it up on the pitch.

Howe spending time with Simone - yes, he watched his training - but it's an overplayed myth.

Trippier has had the Simeone influence on this side - not Howe.

Playing for Simone Trippier learnt to how defend and leant the skill of being able to hate losing.
Maybe it is an incorrect opinion but I didn't like your team, they were on the floor continually, they took ages over everything but they took advantage of slack defending and poor closing down so well done for that.

Maybe it is an incorrect opinion but I didn't like your team, they were on the floor continually, they took ages over everything but they took advantage of slack defending and poor closing down so well done for that

You're quite right, we were taking a while with everything last night very early on. Something that's stuck with us this season in the media after the game at Anfield in August but if you watch us, it's quite rare we actually go out to time-waste early on. Certainly in the games we have been wasting time quite openly, it was at Anfield/Emirates where a point would have a been a great result. Last night we should have been out to win from minute one.

I didn't like it either, I think - as the game at Anfield proves - it can backfire if you do it too early with the amount of added time that can be added on.

I think the intention was to slow the game down, but I think it was a stupid idea to add any fuel to the fire of an already hostile crowd. Thankfully it didn't cost us on this occasion.

I could understand it if we were 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go, but in the first half was baffling, given we needed to win to keep your neighbours at bay. Lucky to get away with it last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.