Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would anyone vote for the new ffp rules?

View attachment 208833

Most Premier League clubs would be in trouble immediately.

Because most clubs just want the PL gravy train TV money.

Club owners like those at Southampton, Fulham etc dont want clubs like Sheff Wed or Birmingham getting big takeovers and taking their place in the PL so for them keeping their place in the status quo even if they never achieve any trophies or CL football is worth it in their eyes.

It's sickening what football has become I am massively losing interest in it. Everton aside I very rarely watch any other games outside of the lower leagues.

Club owners like those at Southampton, Fulham etc dont want clubs like Sheff Wed or Birmingham getting big takeovers and taking their place in the PL so for them keeping their place in the status quo even if they never achieve any trophies or CL football is worth it in their eyes.

It's sickening what football has become I am massively losing interest in it. Everton aside I very rarely watch any other games outside of the lower leagues.
But over half the league would be in immediate breach of the new rules.

Why would anyone vote for the new ffp rules?

View attachment 208833

Most Premier League clubs would be in trouble immediately.
It’s mad when you inside the so called big six have by far and away the biggest revenues, and salary burdens so they have at most a 75% ratio, It just shows the importance of getting decisions on and off the field correct, and Arsenals is only 75% because they have been out of the CL for a period of time

But over half the league would be in immediate breach of the new rules.
The Premier League has already agreed on new rules that will allow clubs to spend more than 70% of revenues. They are currently negotiating to come to an agreement with the EFL.

The new rules are actually good for clubs like us. The clubs in European competition will have to stick to 70% of revenues whilst those not in European competition will be able to spend more.

Me too. I find my attention switching to my 2 lower league team, Hartlepool and Blyth Spartans (both of whom are in the relegation spots, I’m not having a good season😀) and starting to focus on the forthcoming Ashes

The Premier League has already agreed on new rules that will allow clubs to spend more than 70% of revenues. They are currently negotiating to come to an agreement with the EFL.

The new rules are actually good for clubs like us. The clubs in European competition will have to stick to 70% of revenues whilst those not in European competition will be able to spend more.
Not sure you are right.

The % spend isn’t on just wages it’s squad cost which will also include agent fees, amortisation and sums impaired.

In 21/22 if you ignore player trading both amortisation and profit from transfers ( they just about cancelled each other out ) and yes there will no doubt be a number taking off for things like academy and woman’s football then from a income of £181 million wages and agents fees amounted to £ £186.7 million.

My personal take on this is that :

1) That setting a % target will eventually mean that many clubs are unlikely to spend extra in areas where they are already FFP friendly meaning cash will leave football. In other words owners( particularly the Americans) will start to declare and draw dividends
2) Transfer fees will start to creep back down and whilst we could argue all day about that being a good or bad thing but the way in which many European leagues and indeed many out side of the big PL clubs benefit from the “ recycling “ of PL monies will slowly have an impact . By that I mean that more and more players will run down their contracts and leave on a Bosman or even possibly we will start to see an increase in Webster transfers.

Irrespective from everything I read clubs that need a UEFA licence are unlikely to be impacted save a fine which won’t be that much in the overall scheme of things

As if the original FFP and sustainability rules weren't anticompetitive enough.

There's no chance clubs can close the commercial revenue gap on the top clubs and come close to what they're able to spend.

Football is dead as a competition.

The PL aren't going to be as strict as Uefa on this, its believed, but will implement something "like it".

Me too. I find my attention switching to my 2 lower league team, Hartlepool and Blyth Spartans (both of whom are in the relegation spots, I’m not having a good season😀) and starting to focus on the forthcoming Ashes
My wife’s great uncle used to play for Blyth Spartans in the 70s.

Last edited:
Wasn’t one of the Guthrie brothers was it?
Interestingly there was a goal keeper called Peter Guthrie who signed for Weymouth from Blyth and then was sold for a then record of £100k to Spurs.
There were a lot of rumours as to why his career stalled but saw him play a few times and he looked the real deal

The hope might be we get into Europe at some point haha!

Have they decided yet if it's wages, wages plus amortisation etc?
It just feels another overly complex set of rules to avoid having to put in a wage cap of say 200m on salaries.

Not sure you are right.

The % spend isn’t on just wages it’s squad cost which will also include agent fees, amortisation and sums impaired.

In 21/22 if you ignore player trading both amortisation and profit from transfers ( they just about cancelled each other out ) and yes there will no doubt be a number taking off for things like academy and woman’s football then from a income of £181 million wages and agents fees amounted to £ £186.7 million.

My personal take on this is that :

1) That setting a % target will eventually mean that many clubs are unlikely to spend extra in areas where they are already FFP friendly meaning cash will leave football. In other words owners( particularly the Americans) will start to declare and draw dividends
2) Transfer fees will start to creep back down and whilst we could argue all day about that being a good or bad thing but the way in which many European leagues and indeed many out side of the big PL clubs benefit from the “ recycling “ of PL monies will slowly have an impact . By that I mean that more and more players will run down their contracts and leave on a Bosman or even possibly we will start to see an increase in Webster transfers.

Irrespective from everything I read clubs that need a UEFA licence are unlikely to be impacted save a fine which won’t be that much in the overall scheme of things

If Webster transfers come in, I'd imagine the rules will have to be adapted again. So much of football's infastructure depends upon transfer fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.