New Everton Stadium Discussion

In short, we were never actually close apart from in imaginary fantastical scenarios.

Giroud had a medical here.

Lukaku had already done a u turn and decided to stay the year before.

Silva's assistant and Gana were here and working well.

Alright James being fit for a season might be fafantastical, I'll give you that. :D

Life is a full of crossways where one or two decisions or events take you in a completely different direction. Some of those we control like us wasting millions upon millions, some we don't like Zidane leaving RM whilst we had Ancelotti, like PSG wanting an aged Gana instead of a Kante who would have easily been in budget for them, like João Pedro Sousa deciding that was the right time to go be a manager, like Man utd thinking Lukaku would fit into their style of play.

Sometimes they work in your favour and sometimes they don't but there is nothing imaginary about it. At each point we tried to climb the greasy pole we have had another setback.

I'm incredibly excited about the new stadium, but will it be exciting if we're playing Championship football or once again fighting for safety?
To be honest I'm not seeing the stadium as this exciting new start or the thing that will catapult us into the big leagues - its been sold that way but I don't think that's incredibly realistic, especially not at first.

But on a personal level, as long as Everton exists I'll be going to watch them, so I'd much rather have an even adequate matchday experience vs what we have now

You know, toilets that aren't a sweatbox where you don't have to stand shoulder to shoulder with dozens of others peeing into a trough like its an ancient pub, the ability to get a drink if you want at half time and that to even be a pint vs a warm bottle (some parts don't have that if you sit elsewhere - UG for a start), concourses that don't feel like rugby scrums, seats where you're not pushed up against the knees of the person next to you etc etc.

That said, I'm sure plenty will see all the above changes as a negative!!

One thing I've noticed on evertonstadium.com
is on the CGI about the flag stones you can buy is that for the first time there are images of what the stadium will look like from ground level. I like the way the area where the turnstiles is is undercover thanks to an overhang of the stand above. Will save you a soaking when you're queueing up on a winter's afternoon. Good stuff.

To be honest I'm not seeing the stadium as this exciting new start or the thing that will catapult us into the big leagues - its been sold that way but I don't think that's incredibly realistic, especially not at first.

But on a personal level, as long as Everton exists I'll be going to watch them, so I'd much rather have an even adequate matchday experience vs what we have now

You know, toilets that aren't a sweatbox where you don't have to stand shoulder to shoulder with dozens of others peeing into a trough like its an ancient pub, the ability to get a drink if you want at half time and that to even be a pint vs a warm bottle (some parts don't have that if you sit elsewhere - UG for a start), concourses that don't feel like rugby scrums, seats where you're not pushed up against the knees of the person next to you etc etc.

Good post this.

I think most clubs suffer a dip in form when moving to a new ground. Something a bit terrifying when you consider the current form we are enjoying!

Plenty to be positive about a d I like the thought of being in the generation who sees both grounds.

Let's just hope any stains left by Moshiri are wiped clean.

Just not sure where people are getting the notion that anybody is suggesting that the new ground will catapult us into the big league. I don't know anybody who has made that claim and to be fair to the club they certainly haven't either.

Fact is we need a new ground because Goodison is a dump. So I totally agree with your thoughts. Even if we never win another tin pot until the day I die, I would still be grateful to watch mediocrity in a better stadium, even if I do end up spending a lot more money.

Let's be honest, not many things in this part of the world are top notch anymore. I'll be grateful for one of the few things that is is the new home of our beloved Everton FC.

Just not sure where people are getting the notion that anybody is suggesting that the new ground will catapult us into the big league. I don't know anybody who has made that claim and to be fair to the club they certainly haven't either.

Fact is we need a new ground because Goodison is a dump. So I totally agree with your thoughts. Even if we never win another tin pot until the day I die, I would still be grateful to watch mediocrity in a better stadium, even if I do end up spending a lot more money.

Let's be honest, not many things in this part of the world are top notch anymore. I'll be grateful for one of the few things that is is the new home of our beloved Everton FC.

Here we go again.

Goodison Park is not a dump. Yes, it has its obvious deficiencies and failings due to its age, but that is entirely due to decades of the same incompetence and lack of investment that has led to the current basketcase position with the club generally.

It is nowhere near the state of the old Roker Park, Baseball ground, Dell, Ayresome Park, Filbert St etc..... (yet some still lament their passing). Goodison Park has more quality than all of them put together, and comfortably more character than all of their replacements.

BMD should not need the same hype or hardsell of Destination Kirkby, nor the type of denigration of all things GP that accompanied that debacle. If it does, then something is seriously missing. At a cost of £500m, it needed to be about a massive step up in income levels plus almost unlimited USM sponsorship to be viable. At possibly £750m, with no uncle Ussy, that equation might no longer balance. So much so, that it has still not secured any financial deal. The owner has had to cover the full cost and has been chasing investment (perhaps even a full sale) for almost a year.

We've seen what the same crowd's scattergun, money-no-object economics has done for our FFP and S&P position....... but what possible damage could an extra 3/4 of a £billion debt make? It's all good, cos the concourses will be bigger and you'll be able to buy your extra pint and pie to cover those costs, and apparently we're all going to get an en suite bog each too, troughs are out.

Good post this.

I think most clubs suffer a dip in form when moving to a new ground. Something a bit terrifying when you consider the current form we are enjoying!

Plenty to be positive about a d I like the thought of being in the generation who sees both grounds.

Let's just hope any stains left by Moshiri are wiped clean.

Without the Moshiri Stain.... the stadium doesn't exist. End of story!

Surely you mean let's hope the resultant debt and stain of Kenwright's decade plus of managed decline is wiped out by mega rich new owners once its complete..... and we've been nicely packaged for a quick sale.

Here we go again.

Goodison Park is not a dump. Yes, it has its obvious deficiencies and failings due to its age, but that is entirely due to decades of the same incompetence and lack of investment that has led to the current basketcase position with the club generally.

It is nowhere near the state of the old Roker Park, Baseball ground, Dell, Ayresome Park, Filbert St etc..... (yet some still lament their passing). Goodison Park has more quality than all of them put together, and comfortably more character than all of their replacements.

BMD should not need the same hype or hardsell of Destination Kirkby, nor the type of denigration of all things GP that accompanied that debacle. If it does, then something is seriously missing. At a cost of £500m, it needed to be about a massive step up in income levels plus almost unlimited USM sponsorship to be viable. At possibly £750m, with no uncle Ussy, that equation might no longer balance. So much so, that it has still not secured any financial deal. The owner has had to cover the full cost and has been chasing investment (perhaps even a full sale) for almost a year.

We've seen what the same crowd's scattergun, money-no-object economics has done for our FFP and S&P position....... but what possible damage could an extra 3/4 of a £billion debt make? It's all good, cos the concourses will be bigger and you'll be able to buy your extra pint and pie to cover those costs, and apparently we're all going to get an en suite bog each too, troughs are out.
No, Tom. Here YOU go again.

Don’t know if anyone listened to it, but on The Esk’s podcast (Talking the Blues) he mentioned the possibility that if things go bad financially and we can’t attract investment there’s a possibility that we could sell the stadium and become tenants. Personally I think this is the absolute worst case scenario. Would rather stay at Goodison than that personally.

Don’t know if anyone listened to it, but on The Esk’s podcast (Talking the Blues) he mentioned the possibility that if things go bad financially and we can’t attract investment there’s a possibility that we could sell the stadium and become tenants. Personally I think this is the absolute worst case scenario. Would rather stay at Goodison than that personally.
This has always been my biggest fear, and the lack of clarity on the funding only makes this a a greater worry, being tennants would be a disaster

100%

or that lot across the park step in with their new owners and buy it!!