Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

went from having a grand in the bank today to 500...

Its scary when you're addicting to gambling and you just dont value money.
I can lash 200 on a bet and if it loses i dont even blink. i just deposit again
Its been my experience that a gambling addiction has little to do with valuing money. A lot of problem gamblers have an unconscious desire to lose. I had that desire which stemmed from a deep feeling of self-loathing. I managed to get to the bottom of this after many years free from gambling. However, I had to stop gambling first. Without stopping nothing else can change. I managed to stop with the help of Gamblers Anonymous (GA). It isn't easy stopping and its nearly impossible to stop, and stay stopped, on your own. I wish you well my friend.

When I went for my initial memory/mental health checks the person who tested me said she could tell I had ADHD even without the tests because I kept changing the subject and moving on to something else. Think of a Ronnie Corbett 'Two Ronnies' story on steroids and you'll get the idea. The difference is that Ronnie usually ended up where he started.

There are lots of check points. Quick-wittedness, flashes of genius, drinking too much, spending too much, the constant search for something else to make me feel good, unable to stay in a job for too long - either by getting the sack or suddenly blowing up and handing in my notice (or just walking out and not returning), impatience, risk-taking with no thought of the outcome or how it might affect anyone else, and generally a Jeykll and Hyde personality.
Thats really interesting. I have a lot of those traits. I think if you were born after the 90’s you didnt really get looked at as having attention disorders or even dyslexia, I was just labelled naughty, disruptive and generally stupid. My grades at school were terrible so I looked for ways to get positive feedback in other ways, they always tended to be negative. Class clown, disruptive, fighting, petty crime. I was lucky that I moved away from where I come from and that opened up the world. I got a degree in my 30’s, have travelled the world and think I luckily found a way to use the traits I have to succeed.

Whats the process to get checked for ADHD as an adult?

Thats really interesting. I have a lot of those traits. I think if you were born after the 90’s you didnt really get looked at as having attention disorders or even dyslexia, I was just labelled naughty, disruptive and generally stupid. My grades at school were terrible so I looked for ways to get positive feedback in other ways, they always tended to be negative. Class clown, disruptive, fighting, petty crime. I was lucky that I moved away from where I come from and that opened up the world. I got a degree in my 30’s, have travelled the world and think I luckily found a way to use the traits I have to succeed.

Whats the process to get checked for ADHD as an adult?
I didn't mention the petty and serious crime, from occasional shoplifting, just for the thrill, in my 30s to a bank robbery described as "like something out of a f*****g Michael Caine movie!" by the eventual detective during interview (Although that was done to try to get me out of the financial hole promoting a snooker dice game I designed and had manufactured, all done on credit cards) all in my late 30s.

As for getting checked, I'd first take an online ADHD test to see what your (honest) answers say about any degree of possible ADHD. After that, if you think you need to take it further, contact your GP. I'll warn you though, even if you are referred, it will take more than a few months, possibly even years. Because of my age (70) I don't expect to be fast-tracked!

Good luck.

I think we should be less hard on ourselves with regarding mental health diagnosis, especially ADHD and Personality Disorders. ADHD is a " recent " phenomenon and is still a controversial topic including with more renowned and learned friends than my humble self. Please remember - and I speak from a position of experience - it is often " easier " for mental health professionals to fit service users into a diagnostic box. " Ah yes, Mr Smith, I've long thought he has depression. So as if I peruse my DSM 4 the treatment for depression is this and then .............". Diagnose - fit into box - follow the usual protocols for treatment.

My point is this, if we take Personality Disorders for example, of which there are 10 split into three categories, I meet some of the diagnostic " symptoms ". We all do. I can say without hesitation " I do that, I do that, I've behaved like that " have I got a personality disorder ? I simplify things to highlight my problem and of course there is a criteria one has to meet to get a PD but a note of caution. A mental health diagnosis can be very helpful, as it can clarify things for you, give you reassurence that your illness can be treated and give you hope for your recovery. It can give you peace of mind - which is the point right - but it can " follow " you around. It can lead to discriminatory practice against you, stigmatise you and clarify all the fears you have about being " mentally ill ".

Share your problems, speak to Professionals and loved ones about your feelings and experiences and seek knowledge wherever you can, but don't jump to conclusions, and don't set your mind on getting the same treatment everyone is different and one prescription does not fit all. We all have individual needs and we are unique. You deserve to be treat as an individual, and I hope you receive the support that is bespoke to you. This has been a lengthy post but I hope it makes sense, I hope you get treat as the very unique person you are.

I’m really pleased to see this thread acting as a support network.

I had no idea it would be as helpful as it has been.

Well done all involved. If anyone needs any help or signposting always feel free to PM me.
It really does.
I have never put my personal problems on here, but every now and then pop in and gain strength just by reading the support others provide and remembering that these feeling we all feel at times to varying degrees are common, that you are not alone, and that people will help.
I appreciate this thread so much.

It really does.
I have never put my personal problems on here, but every now and then pop in and gain strength just by reading the support others provide and remembering that these feeling we all feel at times to varying degrees are common, that you are not alone, and that people will help.
I appreciate this thread so much.
Some times you just need to vent it.

Its been my experience that a gambling addiction has little to do with valuing money. A lot of problem gamblers have an unconscious desire to lose. I had that desire which stemmed from a deep feeling of self-loathing. I managed to get to the bottom of this after many years free from gambling. However, I had to stop gambling first. Without stopping nothing else can change. I managed to stop with the help of Gamblers Anonymous (GA). It isn't easy stopping and its nearly impossible to stop, and stay stopped, on your own. I wish you well my friend.
I was often happy to lose so I was broke and couldn't gamble for a while again .

At the depths of my addiction i always still wanted to win. However my motivation was different. My only goal was to win more money to gamble, i had no end goal, nothing that would have satisfied my thirst as the more i won the more i gambled.

As you have said it's not easy to stop but it is possible. I set myself a date and from then just stopped as i reached my bottom. But i do realise thats not the norm and that was after many failed attempts to stop. Just have to keep resetting and persevering. Definetly speaking to others helped , i have had a lot of conversations with my close friends about my struggle and from that found out they were in a similar position and just recently i delivered a workshop to share my experience to a group of young lads in an area i used to live.

My dad would have been 80 this week he passed away 2020 and my mum passed 3 weeks before his passing it was horrendous for me and my family COVID funerals it was horrendous just thought I would post and thank you guys on here who messaged me on here who might remember thanks it really does help. well it did for me brilliant people on here.

Havent posted here in a few years. Its so easy to forget about the place that has helped you when youve climbed out of a hole. Im doing good, constructive, sleep well and am not doing too much alcohol. All you people here are worth your weight in gold, thank you, truly. All you who are suffering, its temporary. It WILL pass. Help from friends and professionals works and there is no reason why you cant climb out of your personal purgatory. Remember there are people out there that love you, no matter if we win or lose on the day.

I'm only around halfway through my tritation period, but the medicine prescribed for my ADHD treatment is having a positive effect. It's not been a huge change, but I feel much more willing and able to do the things I need to do, and not just sit and think about a thousand things at once struggling to get things done. I feel more able to focus on things and block out external factors with less trouble.

The only issue so far is it's making me sweat quite a lot, which I hope is temporary. I'm sweaty enough as it is have a prescription for that issue already lol

I'm only around halfway through my tritation period, but the medicine prescribed for my ADHD treatment is having a positive effect. It's not been a huge change, but I feel much more willing and able to do the things I need to do, and not just sit and think about a thousand things at once struggling to get things done. I feel more able to focus on things and block out external factors with less trouble.

The only issue so far is it's making me sweat quite a lot, which I hope is temporary. I'm sweaty enough as it is have a prescription for that issue already lol
Stay positive mate