Match Thread Everton v Arsenal - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Arsenal

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have you supported Everton.... How many times have we won at Anfield since the Premier League started?

No matter what form the teams are in we end up getting beat.....
I don't remember it but I was supporting Everton when Liverpool were relegated - look it up - and we won there before the Prem' was even thought of. 0-4 once.

Actually we draw there nearly as often as we lose and we do win occasionally. In terms of not losing there we actually have a better record than most.

The good thing about Dyche he has the courage in his convictions, he believes in his way of playing, 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 will be the blueprint. Frank used to pap his pants at the bigger teams and go to a 5 at the back, I dont think we will see that under Dyche.... which makes me happy.

With all the negativity and hopelessness on this forum, I've noticed that a GOT has a new wave of positivity flowing through it even though a ball hasn't been kicked in jest yet!

The main focus has been the idea that Dyche will get a lot more out of the team. The narrative has unfurled here of a useless Lampard, inept and inexperienced, and that Sean, through steely will and grit will inject a toughness and spirit not seen here for a long time. It may even win us a point or three! However, a hard-working honest loss would also be acceptable.

I myself am fully committed to this narrative because guess what, it's exciting! Watching the blues this season, especially at the game, has been a dour experience. Most times I knew within 15 minutes how the result would probably go. It is because of the disastrous transfer window that Sean is all we have now. He is our big signing, after all! However, when you look at what he has achieved many would argue such a manager would never have been entertained at Goodison Park, until now!

I fear too much has been made of the words he has uttered or the training ground drill we have all seen. They all mean nothing of course. Most people at the top of their profession can speak a good game, right? The vibe I get from him is one of simplicity, honesty, hard work, and trust. Easy platitudes to convey when the fans are desperate for a savior. It makes me chuckle to think of some of the vitriol spouted on here when Sean was the manager of Burnley.

However, this is where we are. My fear is that after 15 to 20 miles of the usual blood and gusto, we will inevitably drop off when we realise we can't score. Maybe blood and guts are all you need to get us over the line today. Goodison will be rockin' that's for sure. If we lose we may see a positive story trotted out about how our boys at least worked hard right until the end. That would be acceptable to many.

I believe that if we pull off the imaginable it will go down as one of our greatest triumphs and new hope will emerge throughout the club. I will probably cry at the final whistle should such a miracle occur. My working week will be filled with extra optimism. I will be nicer to my colleagues, friends, and family! A draw would be amazing and lay the foundation going forward. Even surviving this season though will not put to rest the cancer at the heart of this club, especially if there is no money. That's a story for tomorrow though. Let's just dream to dare for today.

My prediction though will be a hard-fought loss, say 1-2. The reality is that no manager can instill his methods 100% in just a few days. This will take a month or two. What we can expect is tough tackling, blocking, a siege mentality, parking the bus, and all the rest of the cliches when your team isn't good enough to play proper football! How long that will last before we inevitably concede, nobody knows.

COYB

I don't remember it but I was supporting Everton when Liverpool were relegated - look it up - and we won there before the Prem' was even thought of. 0-4 once.

Actually we draw there nearly as often as we lose and we do win occasionally. In terms of not losing there we actually have a better record than most.
Please dont feel I was questioning your length of support, more that in the last 30 years we`ve won 3 times, once a decade!

Our record at Anfield is:-

Played 30
Won 3 - 10%
Drawn 12 - 40%
Lost 15 - 50%

Draw would be a good result because we just dont win... Looking up these stats I was surprised to know we`ve never won at Brentford or Bournemouth...

Away records
1675506092432.png

1675506264178.png

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/eve...&day=&punkte=&group=1&datum_von=-&datum_bis=-

Don't know about you lads but I'm having real problems doing my weekly "pick the team" thing, especially with all the players on clean sheets and being likely we go 4-4-2, I even started thinking on what a strong squad we have when they are on form. lol

Still not decided, back 4 is hard to choose, as is the 4 across the middle, who partners the big lad up top is an issue too.

Can't wait to see his team later.

Don't know about you lads but I'm having real problems doing my weekly "pick the team" thing, especially with all the players on clean sheets and being likely we go 4-4-2, I even started thinking on what a strong squad we have when they are on form. lol

Still not decided, back 4 is hard to choose, as is the 4 across the middle, who partners the big lad up top is an issue too.

4-4-2 with Maupay dropping in to the 10 when defending is my guess. Its exciting to know the line will be fresh with different ideas to the tripe we have been served up for the last year and a bit under Benitez and Lampard.... All the signs were Lampard was a poor/woeful/crap manager yet the fans clung to him for too long....

As a fanbase that is on those that were still backing him, the split was probably 50/50....

My team....

Pickford

Holgate Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko

Iwobi Gueye Onana Gray

Calvert-Lewin Maupay
Iwobi & Gray in those wide areas makes sense because playing a 4-4-2 the opposite winger becomes the extra CM, if that makes sense.

I think we'll see Tarkowski and Mina, with Godfrey as a full back - whether that's left or right back will decide on the other choice.

Dom will be up front, and I have an inkling that it'll be Iwobi or Maupay next to him. McNeil and Gray will be the wide players.

Though it may be that the might of Arsenal shall prove too much for the struggling Everton, it is not for naught that they have taken to the field. For in this game of soccer, anything is possible, and the outcome is ever uncertain.

4-4-2 with Maupay dropping in to the 10 when defending is my guess. Its exciting to know the line will be fresh with different ideas to the tripe we have been served up for the last year and a bit under Benitez and Lampard.... All the signs were Lampard was a poor/woeful/crap manager yet the fans clung to him for too long....

As a fanbase that is on those that were still backing him, the split was probably 50/50....

My team....

Pickford

Holgate Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko

Iwobi Gueye Onana Gray

Calvert-Lewin Maupay
Iwobi & Gray in those wide areas makes sense because playing a 4-4-2 the opposite winger becomes the extra CM, if that makes sense.
I see you've included Holgate there at right back, clean slate so why not, I've actually got Tarkowski at left back as he looked very comfy mopping up for Myko in the last few games. Trying to squeeze Godfrey in too as he is a beast when all's well but he's on my bench sadly today if fit.

Now up front I'd go Gray as opposed to Maupay to start in the front 2. Lad is almighty when he gets a chance on the edge of the box, on the wing he just can't beat the first man with the ball when time comes to sling it in, a waste. Probably give Mcneil a go there under his old boss.

Another real intriguing thing for me too is what does Dyche reckon on Vinagre? Lampard wouldn't have him near the side.

We are weak on the left, has Dyche seen something Lampard ignored. Myko would have lost his place by now in many other prem sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.