The Everton Board Thread

Thats a counter analysis id accept mate, its difference in opinion really. However i dont agree that we dont have money to spend, not at all.
There was a pretty detailed article in the athletic outline the financial issues. They were essentially limited to signing players on loan, free transfers or paying fees that involved very little upfront and payment deferred over future seasons.

Don’t think it was just the Athletic that reported the issues either.

Well that's the key as well - it all needs to be peaceful and sensible. We can't have any more incidents like chasing players cars in the street, or anything daft like someone going on the pitch etc.

But If peaceful protests continue, and I have no reason to believe things can't remain peaceful and calm, then the argument that the protests are a distraction is really not a valid one. The manager and players will get support tomorrow, and although I doubt it will be enough to get a result against a very good side, any protest before or after isn't going to affect our chances. If we lose, it will almost certainly be because Arsenal are a better football team, and top of the league on merit.

Difficult that though - it's hard to control. It's what I meant by "External factors we can't control take that narrative away and the narrative counts"

Did you see how Jeff Stelling described the bus welcome prior Southampton? He described fans welcoming the bus as toxic. No doubt fuelled by the statement the board released. But that narrative was set, all before even the isolated incidents post match.

A few months before that he was heralding fans for the same behaviour.

There was a pretty detailed article in the athletic outline the financial issues. They were essentially limited to signing players on loan, free transfers or paying fees that involved very little upfront and payment deferred over future seasons.

Don’t think it was just the Athletic that reported the issues either.

Its more the margins of the cost and sustainability rules as opposed to revenue that could have been used - yes we are defo working in margins, like the summer we have to structure deals and payments - like in the summer - which makes some deals a no go - loans are easier of course and prob make the most sense in a limited window. Weirdly we are probably back in profitability this year since the first time Moshiri took a minority stake.

I said on here after Palace that it would be a mistake to allow that to happen.

A combination of relief and just wanting a break from Everton proved a huge mistake. We let them off the hook.

The club also did well in a bit of a PR spin by letting the manager thank fans etc.

I think now though the vast majority of Everton fans see how bad the club is ran - there's no comeback.

I speak to a big cross section of Everton fans and there's not one I know who don't want this board out.

Last season that was not the case.

We can. I've said that before.

But we can't.

External factors we can't control take that narrative away and the narrative counts.

Dyche suggested parking it.

The fan campaign group paused match day protests last season and give the reason as to avoid distraction.

A campaign against the board doesn't have to be on a match day.

It should include match days for maximum impact, no doubt - I just don't think it's now. For me, the way the cards have fell - new manager, the immediate fixtures coming up, and how clear and obvious the boards failing now is in public - it's counter productive for match day protests right now.

You have opposition teams potentially having a small mental lift with "lads, their own fans are kicking off and will get on top of them, the pressure is on them..." - it's not true, but former/current players have said this happens.

I'll support the fan protests as a fan, just feel as though it would be more savvy and damaging to the board to do as Dyche suggested. Park it. That doesn't mean stop it.

Was suggested on the spaces last night to park the protests until after the games or like you said, on different days away from the games.

That way no one can spin it otherwise.

Was suggested on the spaces last night to park the protests until after the games or like you said, on different days away from the games.

That way no one can spin it otherwise.
No chance. Needs to be during the games, when the cameras are there and when the board - those brave enough to attend the game at least - cannot hide from the chants and banners. Will it affect the players? Possibly, but the fans aren't chanting about them and Dyche as manager ought to be able to drill that into them. If he isn't able to do that, then he's not a good manager. The fans will be right behind the players unless they continue to play terribly and/or are on the end of a thrashing, when they'll rightfully be booed.

I'm not saying one side is better then other mate, not polarising it as such, the whole thing was shocking, my point is the conflict created a toxicity that to my mind impacted the club negatively and its over all welfare. Without either side the toxicity doesn't exist.

I disagree. Only one side created the situation (and I don't agree with the 'toxicity' tag either). That is: the board that created the situation.

Bill Kenwright has a completely unrealistic idea of his importance to Everton Football Club. Its the reason he will not resign or retire.

He's absolutely ridiculous and his enablers such as Denise Barrett-Baxendale with her behaviour is as well.

The protesters didn't make them do anything. The board and its communications team did it themselves.

For example. I wasn't in the media room on 14 January 2023 telling Julliet Ferrington that there had been a headlock assault on Baxendale and all the rest. Neither were the people intent on taking part on the protest. That was all them - the board, and the communications team.

How you can possibly suggest the #AllTogetherNow campaign has created the situation is beyond me.

Difficult that though - it's hard to control. It's what I meant by "External factors we can't control take that narrative away and the narrative counts"

Did you see how Jeff Stelling described the bus welcome prior Southampton? He described fans welcoming the bus as toxic. No doubt fuelled by the statement the board released. But that narrative was set, all before even the isolated incidents post match.

A few months before that he was heralding fans for the same behaviour.

That is what WhatsApp messages, and subtle comments from the communications team will do. Start a ball rolling.

No chance. Needs to be during the games, when the cameras are there and when the board - those brave enough to attend the game at least - cannot hide from the chants and banners. Will it affect the players? Possibly, but the fans aren't chanting about them and Dyche as manager ought to be able to drill that into them. If he isn't able to do that, then he's not a good manager. The fans will be right behind the players unless they continue to play terribly and/or are on the end of a thrashing, when they'll rightfully be booed.

It was a fair point that I agree with. The feller was behind protests during Johnson/Kenwright and when Rooney was sold...told them what he took from it.

He said that at the Southampton game about 3000 stayed for the sit in. The minute after the game when fans chanted "Your not fit to wear the shirt" a lot of people left and didn't take part in the protest because of it. The media agenda was then all about the fans booing the players. Add to the incident with Gordon and Mina... anything productive protest wise wasn't the story. That was.

There will be a large majority that don't care about the protests, that just want to watch the football. You irritate them, you'll divide the fanbase.

He said that everything should be very simple. Simple message. Simple banners. Direct to the point. Then to stop anyone twisting the narrative, separate the players and match from the protests.

Back the manager, the players, support them for 90mins. The minute the whistle blows...you aim direct at the owner and the board - banners, sit in, the lot - every game.

I agree with it.

That is what WhatsApp messages, and subtle comments from the communications team will do. Start a ball rolling.

Indeed.

Jamie Carragher shared how the board raced to speak to him after he made a critical comment.
Ian Wright shared how he received a Whatsapp in the hours leading up to Southampton.

Fans see and hear. They're not stupid.

As for pundits and those in the media - when they reflect and fans address them, I very much doubt they appreciate being used as a stooge.

Tomorrow, I'll likely have a different opinion.

Last week I certainly did.

For me though, all considered - I'd loathe to allow this board to use fan protests as an excuse/distraction. It's the only card they have left so let's not make it easy for them to play it.

The fan campaign is doing well to continually include the word peaceful protests - they've twigged the board is trying to undermine that perception.

You'll of noticed that in my tweets DD

We have seen continual attempts to push a narrative by the club, any time they do we jump on that attempt with corrections to the narrative. Its causing the likes of David Prentice to, it appears 'act out' in the press room today.

The protests tomorrow must be peaceful and disciplined. David Prentice today seems have to been trying to stir things up in the press room with alleged comments on former FAB and FF members. No one is falling for any of this now. Its really poor and it shows just how powerless they are at this point

I would suggest DD to continue to ask:

Why was Bill Kenwright missing in the Boxing Day game against Wolves? (he did not attend)

Why has Bill Kenwright only been seen once in public during January 2023 at the West Ham away game?

Its not for the smokescreen reasons of violence and 'headlock gate' that the club communications team are trying to suggest

There is a reason and the club are hiding it and it would be nice to see some questions on that point answered.

Fans, players, media and indeed the owner give credit to fans as being a key reason why Everton stayed in the league last season. We put aside anger an frustration and put on a fake face to welcome Fabian Delph and co as heroes to drag them over the line.

Unfortunately, since that - our own board in desperate self preservation mode have switched the narrative and portrayed fans as thugs - the Sky Sports News narrative over the bus welcome prior Southampton compared to how they covered last season was the direct consequence of the boards smear campaign.

That 'statement' and action from the board was the final straw, there's no recovery from that. Make no mistake, they need booting out of this football club.

However... *puts protective gear on*

If I was in the campaign group I'd suggest a "OK. We hear Sean Dyche's 'park it' request. We'll do that for the foreseeable but our aims will not relent. We want this board out for these reasons..."

I'd do that not to relent on the board, but it's a perfect response to the boards effort to undermine fan protests.

Let focus for Arsenal be how we've had to appoint Sean Dyche an how we're the only team who didn't bring a single player in. The chaos speaks for itself, let's not risk the chance for the agenda to be "the board aren't here because of safety concerns" as the camera pans to fans protesting.

The campaign group paused match day protesting last year and gave their reasons as to avoid distraction. Is the same is needed now?

The lesson though is if we do stay up, don't relent.

The bit I have highlighted was exactly what the board would of wanted to pursue their narrative against the fans further, in hindsight it might of been better not to welcome the coach before the match and not to do the peaceful sit in, this would of been the smart option and gave them no more ammunition to make then fans out to be worse, this would of made them look silly for hiring more security at the ground, we might of not prevented the silly fans confronting Mina and chasing Gordon's car but that's something we couldn't control so to speak.

Indeed.

Jamie Carragher shared how the board raced to speak to him after he made a critical comment.
Ian Wright shared how he received a Whatsapp in the hours leading up to Southampton.

Fans see and hear. They're not stupid.

As for pundits and those in the media - when they reflect and fans address them, I very much doubt they appreciate being used as a stooge.

I can also add DD.

Your tweet on 14 January 2023 was absolutely spot on in relation to 'headlock gate'

You've been running this forum for around 16 years. You've seen it all at this point and knew exactly what those in 'the club' were doing.