2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Everton retirement home in full flow .. lost for words For how bad he’s been …. Have bit my tounge as he done well before but he’s finished now

Started the game really well and won the ball three or four times early on, pressed well. His press and tackle won the ball for DCL to set up Iwobi early on.

After that he still won some ball but started committing fouls as well and his passing was poor. In part his passing was poor because Onana and Iwobi weren’t showing enough for it, he had very little options on for him.

Wonder if he was taken off because of injury or he was having a poor game. Could be both.

Stop trying to pretend PSG turned him into a good ball player. He always was, is and will be just a good destroyer. Leave him to do that and only that.

This. Which is why Onana needs to be played next to him rather than further up the pitch with Iwobi.

No idea about further up the pitch though. We need to get AT LEAST one new winger/attacking player in January that’s for sure.

Maybe play DCL with Maupay and Gordon making runs around him, rather than two wingers hugging the line and being useless at beating a man. That system would require two attacking full backs, which Patterson can step up to and Myko hopefully could too with no Gray in front of him (or maybe give Vinagre a shot). Not really sure, but I’m not sold on two wingers with out current options.

….he’s being asked to do what he doesn’t do. He dispossessed the opposition leading to the Iwobi chance. That’s what he does. Looks to me like him and Onana play too far apart, they don’t hunt in a pair.

This. Which is why Onana needs to be played next to him rather than further up the pitch with Iwobi.

No idea about further up the pitch though. We need to get AT LEAST one new winger/attacking player in January that’s for sure.

Maybe play Dominic Calvert-Lewin with Maupay and Gordon making runs around him, rather than two wingers hugging the line and being useless at beating a man. That system would require two attacking full backs, which Patterson can step up to and Myko hopefully could too with no Gray in front of him (or maybe give Vinagre a shot). Not really sure, but I’m not sold on two wingers with out current options.

I'd have given 4-3-1-2 a shot a while back myself, I know it's a narrow formation, but can't see the point in keeping width with 2-3 awful wingers doing nothing.

It is already clear that it was a poor error of judgement to re-sign him

He creates a clear chance on a transition to an opponent every week through a sloppy piece of play. If anything he is now worse on the ball than his first spell here.

Just massively over rated by our fan base.

He creates a clear chance on a transition to an opponent every week through a sloppy piece of play. If anything he is now worse on the ball than his first spell here.

I dont agree...we have been better with him in the team. His passing isnt a strong point but the nicking of balls and tackles are important to us. Shame he has to do it all on his own. He needs a partner alongside him that will stay with him

…I agree he looses the ball in possession, Tim, but was he ever as exposed when he had the ball when he last played for us?

Seems Lampard wants a no6 to be comfortable in possession & transition to attack, but that player is not Gueye. Was Gueye that player when he was last here? He gets the ball & gives it, but there’s often no easy pass for him. I’ve thought for a while him and Onana are too far apart, they don’t hunt in a pack.

…I agree he looses the ball in possession, Tim, but was he ever as exposed when he had the ball when he last played for us?

Seems Lampard wants a no6 to be comfortable in possession & transition to attack, but that player is not Gueye. Was Gueye that player when he was last here? He gets the ball & gives it, but there’s often no easy pass for him. I’ve thought for a while him and Onana are too far apart, they don’t hunt in a pack.
I didbt rate him in his first spell here either tbf. If you cant pass the ball properly you shouldn't be playing midfield for Everton.

The only times I can remember thinking he was playing well was a handful of games in his first season when he had Barry beside him.

Gareth Barry... thats a proper player.

I imagine it's hard for players who have played at a higher level to regain the same kind of motivation and desire when they leave a top side for a pile of wank like Everton.

It's why id rather us sign younger players who haven't reached the top rather than players who have but are now on the slide. Going from PSG to Everton, wheres the motivation gonna come from ? playing with neymar, messi and mbappe to playing alongside gray and mcneil... hard to imagine people not taking their foot off the gas a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.