Whilst you are a grand old team.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightwood

Player Valuation: £500k
We are actually older ;)

Stoke City have been described as ‘new boys’ in many reports previewing the new Barclays Premier League season but this isn’t really true. The club is spending its first season in the Barclays Premier League but is in fact the second oldest professional football club in England and one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

The club was created in 1863 and only Notts County, which was founded a year earlier, is older than Stoke City FC. The club has spent many years in the top division, with little success, and so Stoke City’s promotion to the Barclays Premier League is really the return of the ‘old boys’ to the summit of English football.

From obscurity to fame

The club is almost older than time and is so old that records of its early matches don’t actually exist. What is known is that the club was created as Stoke Ramblers by pupils of Charterhouse School who were working at the North Staffordshire Railway works in the town of Stoke-on-Trent in the West Midlands, famed for its pottery industry. At the time there were various forms of football and initially the club played something similar to today’s rugby.

The club moved to a new home, Sweetings Field, in 1875 as interest and attendances rose then merged with the cricket club three years later and became known as Stoke Football Club. The club then moved to the Athletic Club ground, which was renamed the Victoria Ground, and adopted its traditional red and white striped shirts. In August 1885 the club turned professional and then in 1888 it became one of the twelve founder members of the first ever professional football league in the world, the Football League.

Struggles

Sadly, Stoke soon found that it was out of its depth in the new league as the club struggled to field a full team due to the lateness or absence of players. Inevitably, it finished bottom of the table in its first two seasons and was replaced by Sunderland.

The club joined the new alternative league, the Football Alliance, and was champion at the first attempt. Then in 1891 the club returned to the Football League but generally remained unsuccessful, finishing next-to-bottom in the first season back and often fighting against relegation, although it did finish seventh in 1893 and sixth in 1896. The malaise continued into the new century and finally in 1908 the club was relegated from the Football League and sought a new life in the lower leagues.

Rebirth

The club finally returned to the Football League in 1919 and was reborn, buying its home and expanding its capacity to 50 000 then changing its name to Stoke City Football Club in 1928 after the town became a city. 51 130 squeezed into the Victoria Ground in March 1937 to see the Potters take on Arsenal for a record attendance as the good times continued. However, real success and trophies remained elusive and the club’s golden generation was denied the opportunity to prove themselves with the outbreak of war in 1939.

In 1947 the club came as close as it ever would to becoming League champions but, as a harsh winter extended the season to June, Stoke City lost its final game and handed the title to Liverpool. Decline followed but hope was resurrected by an appearance in the League Cup final in 1964. Finally the club won its first and only major trophy in 1972, defeating Chelsea 2-1 in the League Cup final.

Then, in 1976, fate played its part in another decline when a heavy storm blew the roof off one of the stands at the stadium, causing a financial crisis that forced the club to sell its best players. In 1997 the club left its home of 119 years and moved to a new ground, the Britannia Stadium, holding 28 383 supporters, but gave the fans little to cheer about until it finally returned to the top division last summer after twenty-three years away.

Stoke City were established 15 years before Everton - and are apparently the second oldest professional football club - after Notts County I believe.

We are actually older ;)

Stoke City have been described as ‘new boys’ in many reports previewing the new Barclays Premier League season but this isn’t really true. The club is spending its first season in the Barclays Premier League but is in fact the second oldest professional football club in England and one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

The club was created in 1863 and only Notts County, which was founded a year earlier, is older than Stoke City FC. The club has spent many years in the top division, with little success, and so Stoke City’s promotion to the Barclays Premier League is really the return of the ‘old boys’ to the summit of English football.

From obscurity to fame

The club is almost older than time and is so old that records of its early matches don’t actually exist. What is known is that the club was created as Stoke Ramblers by pupils of Charterhouse School who were working at the North Staffordshire Railway works in the town of Stoke-on-Trent in the West Midlands, famed for its pottery industry. At the time there were various forms of football and initially the club played something similar to today’s rugby.

The club moved to a new home, Sweetings Field, in 1875 as interest and attendances rose then merged with the cricket club three years later and became known as Stoke Football Club. The club then moved to the Athletic Club ground, which was renamed the Victoria Ground, and adopted its traditional red and white striped shirts. In August 1885 the club turned professional and then in 1888 it became one of the twelve founder members of the first ever professional football league in the world, the Football League.

Struggles

Sadly, Stoke soon found that it was out of its depth in the new league as the club struggled to field a full team due to the lateness or absence of players. Inevitably, it finished bottom of the table in its first two seasons and was replaced by Sunderland.

The club joined the new alternative league, the Football Alliance, and was champion at the first attempt. Then in 1891 the club returned to the Football League but generally remained unsuccessful, finishing next-to-bottom in the first season back and often fighting against relegation, although it did finish seventh in 1893 and sixth in 1896. The malaise continued into the new century and finally in 1908 the club was relegated from the Football League and sought a new life in the lower leagues.

Rebirth

The club finally returned to the Football League in 1919 and was reborn, buying its home and expanding its capacity to 50 000 then changing its name to Stoke City Football Club in 1928 after the town became a city. 51 130 squeezed into the Victoria Ground in March 1937 to see the Potters take on Arsenal for a record attendance as the good times continued. However, real success and trophies remained elusive and the club’s golden generation was denied the opportunity to prove themselves with the outbreak of war in 1939.

In 1947 the club came as close as it ever would to becoming League champions but, as a harsh winter extended the season to June, Stoke City lost its final game and handed the title to Liverpool. Decline followed but hope was resurrected by an appearance in the League Cup final in 1964. Finally the club won its first and only major trophy in 1972, defeating Chelsea 2-1 in the League Cup final.

Then, in 1976, fate played its part in another decline when a heavy storm blew the roof off one of the stands at the stadium, causing a financial crisis that forced the club to sell its best players. In 1997 the club left its home of 119 years and moved to a new ground, the Britannia Stadium, holding 28 383 supporters, but gave the fans little to cheer about until it finally returned to the top division last summer after twenty-three years away.

Interesting read that. It's a shame that some of your earlier records dont exist same with ours when we were St Domingo. Although info of our first match as Everton does exist some of our others are hard to find. Mind you David France has just sold a huge collection of Everton stuff to Everton so all may be revealed. It will be worh checking out cos it'll have a mention of Stole there as I believe you were a major team in the 19th Century. They certainly get mentioned a few times as do your rivals Burslem Port Vale I believe they were known as

Well you live and learn ! Good post, thought you were a good side in the late 70's , early 80's, produced some decent talent, Bracewell, Heath,Bould,Dixon for example.

I hope you lose on Sunday though, but good luck for the rest of your campaign after that.

I hope you stay up mate but think it will be aclose call,I remeber Tony Waddingtons team of over the hill stars did geat for you and Alan Hudson who should we be scared of on Sunday;)

Fuller is class if he is in the mood. From set pieces we WILL pose you problems. Kitson yet to get off the mark, could Sunday be his day?

More than anything I hope we can prove to everyone that we are not 'hoofball' merchants.

Enjoy the Brit, you will find the Stokies very friendly - honest!

Fuller is classs if he is in the mood. From set pieces we WILL pose you problems. Kitson yet to get off the mark, could Sunday be his day?

More than anything I hope we can prove to everyone that we are not 'hoofball' merchants.

Enjoy the Brit, you will find the Stokies very friendly - honest!
I didnt in the seventies I got a kicking:mad:

Stokies hold Evertonians in high regard. The 70's and 80's were hostile but all genuine fans attending the game will have no worries.

I'm sure that those looking for trouble from both clubs will find it if they want, but let the chavs get on with it :(

Fans wearing colours readily mix for drinks in the Harvester or Power League before the game without problem.

Get ready for Delilah :D

hope you trounce cesspool fc when you play them. keep your eye on their star player though, he has a whistle and a black kit - every time.

Hi Lightwood,

Two memories of Stoke stand out for me - firstly as a youngster I saw Gordan Banks' last game for Stoke at Anfield in October 1972, tragically he had his car accident the next day :(, and secondly I remember being at the FA Cup 3rd Round game in 1984, when we won 2-0.

Howard Kendall's team talk at half-time consisted of opening the changing room windows and listening to the Everton Fans outsinging the Stoke fans - Will Moysey do the same on Sunday :D

Same result will do though - good luck with the rest of the season ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.