What was missing last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palace put 9 in the box. I didn't like the set-up - Barkley doesn't run like McCarthy to play in that spot. Osman should have been in the MF and the shape was bad when Everton basically played 2 defenders, moved Coleman and Baines up the pitch which forced D-Foo and McGeady up as well.

Not that I could have picked a better side but Barkley is trained to go forward, not track and chase in the McCarthy role.

Kev has played behind the striker before and has played as a striker himself tbf

I thought Barkley was played alongside Barry? Might be mistaken
He was. He didn't play badly but small margins (as Bobby says) can make a large difference, the anticipation McCarthy has allows Coleman and Baines to take huge risks. Both flanks gave us a torrid time all night because of this, Barry excellent positionally but only Macca can see the potential for danger, steam 40 yards and win it back. We didn't think it would be essential against Palace... We were wrong

We need to give credit to palace who were brilliant defensively. Think we would have done better with Naismith on from the start as his movement could have made the difference. It didn't help us that they scored 3 from 4 attempts on target though, they probably won't do that again all year.

I really don't think we underestimated Palace last night , 3 games in one week meant we had rotate somewhat it is just phkn frustrating to try and get space in a congested penalty area, a sea of yellow .We are not effective at lumping the ball in and hoping to get on the end of it so we tried to play too our strengths and fielded a very attacking side just couldn't break them down. I don't believe for a second that any Everton player wasn't trying , truth is the first goal was always going to dictate the outcome , we score first then they probably have to come at us and we take them on the counter . As it turned out we had to force it after conceding , from there was always gonna be a long frustrating night as Chelsea found out........

One thing is for sure, both Manchester teams wont defend as good as they do. A positive is we managed to score 2, I always thought it wud be hard to score one against them.

Barkley playing centre mid, was in hindsight bad decision. Let's move on.

I'll tell you what was missing last night; an inspirational leader, a man to rally the troops in the face of adversity, a personality you know will inspire those around him, a man who has been there, done it and got the medals to prove it. Yes, that's right, this is who we were missing:

Phil-Neville-006.jpg

One thing is for sure, both Manchester teams wont defend as good as they do. A positive is we managed to score 2, I always thought it wud be hard to score one against them.
You raise an interesting point. Palace have goal scoring ability AND a great defence. Selhurst Park is a VERY difficult place to go to. Palace should be top ten next season.

McCarthy not starting played a major factor in disrupting the team. Also playing 3 wingers in the same team didn't work what so ever, the amount of times Mirallas and McGeady got in each others way trying to claim that lrft wing was laughable. Hopefully Bobby learns from these mistakes and it never happens again.

I'll tell you what was missing last night; an inspirational leader, a man to rally the troops in the face of adversity, a personality you know will inspire those around him, a man who has been there, done it and got the medals to prove it. Yes, that's right, this is who we were missing:

Phil-Neville-006.jpg
Point the way forth Cap'n Pip!

Martinez got it wrong last night, im not going to be overly critical because he has done a fantastic job. But the balance in the team was totally wrong, I had my doubts when I saw the team sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.