We need a rethink...

Status
Not open for further replies.
But just maybe individual performances are so bad because no one knows what they're supposed to be doing any more because of all the team changes and the lack of balance in the team selections. And maybe it's because we're not playing in tight knit groups and triangles any more, but instead all standing 15-20 yards apart so that most passes require more than one touch to keep the ball on the move.

Agreed, the players don't become turd overnight, and playing Eto'o and Barkley as wingers will never get the best out of them. Martinez will change this, he has to.

There was a period at home to Wolfsburg in the 1st half where our passing was on the edge of the box, continuously dragging defenders out of shape. People kept making runs, pulling formations apart, and we kept making chances. Eventually we scored (our2nd I think?)

That's what Roberto wants. Posession to tire the defenders and create chances. For whatever reason,w e haven't been able to manage that

I see the point he's making that they had 3 chances and got 3 goals. all of which shouldhave been easily defended. I'm pretty certain he more than anyone else is aware of defensive frailties but at a certain point you have to point to an ageing defensive squad that need transition.

There was a period at home to Wolfsburg in the 1st half where our passing was on the edge of the box, continuously dragging defenders out of shape. People kept making runs, pulling formations apart, and we kept making chances. Eventually we scored (our2nd I think?)

That's what Roberto wants. Posession to tire the defenders and create chances. For whatever reason,w e haven't been able to manage that

I see the point he's making that they had 3 chances and got 3 goals. all of which shouldhave been easily defended. I'm pretty certain he more than anyone else is aware of defensive frailties but at a certain point you have to point to an ageing defensive squad that need transition.

The point he should have made is that they were far better at creating and scoring goals.

Come to think of it, that's how you win a game of football.

My local club, Auckland City, (a semi professional outfit), might well beat Everton at the moment. We (Everton) are so stodgy at the moment. All the flair has been coached out of them it seems. They play with a fear of losing possession, or just plain fear. Us NZ Evertonians get up at 4 am to watch tripe at the moment. Hell, I do not even mind losing...it's the ball-less, insipid surrender that is doing my head in.

Get it sorted Martinez.

RM needs a good long look in the mirror and re-think everything going on at the club.

That's not a call for a change of style or manager, just a bit of acceptance he needs to 'mix things up' a bit.

STOP playing players in unfamiliar positions. Barkley needs to be in the middle, deeper gives him more time on the ball and space to run into, and is probably more effective there than in the 'Number 10' that most hope he will become. Eto'o, for all his aceness is a striker and nothing else.

Yesterday he played Eto'o in the '10' and Barkley and Naismith kept drifting in there with him, far too crowded, no width, the fullbacks couldn't get forward as they had no cover out wide.

Barry was brilliant last season, this season he's literally fallen off a cliff with his form. If we accept that Gibson wont ever play 2 games running for us again, Besic/McCarthy/Barkley are who we should focus on in the first team squad, Barry to step in only if absolutely needed.

We need another CB above anything else. Some Brilliant bosmans available. (No, not Ron Vlaar) RM doesn't expect much action in January? He should!

Corners..... scoring from them isn't worth half a goal. Work on them. I actually laughed when after failing to beat the first man several times yesterday Baines launches one almost over the back of the box. How hard is it to hit a dead ball into a relativly dangerous area?

Lastly.....training. 17 hamstring injuries in 2014 to 11 first team players. That's not bad luck. It's conditioning. Sort it out.

This is how Wigan looked the season they went down.... Looked like individual errors and poor defending... But if you are asking players like jags and distan to do things they are jot confortable with then errors will happen and confidence will suffer... The same goes for Ross , Naismith , lukaku .... If they can't perform because they are being asked to do things they can't ... Then confidence will suffer and therefore team performance... I'm 33 and have been watchin everton for as long as I can remember... I said it after we beat villa 3-0. We are boring and this is the first time in my life that I am not actually bothered if I miss a game.... There is nothing to get excited about... No pressing , no tackling etc that gets you into the game ..... We are a more expensive version of Wigan at the moment.... And I hated watching wigan.

He needs to show a set and drop the players that cant play the way he encourages.

And dont be afraid to drop the likes of Rom and Baines because there high profile, too many under performing players playing week in week out
Garbutt and Kone are the players I'd like to see play, so this is spot on for me

But just maybe individual performances are so bad because no one knows what they're supposed to be doing any more because of all the team changes and the lack of balance in the team selections. And maybe it's because we're not playing in tight knit groups and triangles any more, but instead all standing 15-20 yards apart so that most passes require more than one touch to keep the ball on the move.
Is he in danger of losing the dressing room perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.