Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand why Howard was brought straight back into the side. I don't like the flip-flapping of keepers as it doesn't breed confidence, it's happened to England in the past and some top clubs like Arsenal where a keeper is dropped after a howler/bad game and then the incumbent has a huge amount of pressure transferred to him as he knows he's only one mistake/bad game away for being dropped himself.

I know its not directly applicable to our situation but it's similar. If Robles stayed on after a handful of competent displays what does it say to Howard who had a great season last year? It also creates a situation whereby as no.2 Robles is just waiting to get dropped.

Howard has had a really bad season but unless he's heading for the door you have to put him back in for the long term confidence of all keepers at the club.

Last edited:
I can understand why Howard was brought straight back into the side. I don't like the flip-flapping of keepers as it doesn't breed confidence, it's happened to England in the past and some top clubs like Arsenal where a keeper is dropped after a howler/bad game and then the incumbent has a huge amount of pressure transferred to him as he knows he's only one mistake/bad game away for being dropped himself.

I know its not directly applicable to our situation but it's similar. If Robles stayed on after a handful of competent displays what does it say to Howard who had a great season last year? It also creates a situation whereby as no.2 Robles is just waiting to get dropped.

Howard has had a really bad season but unless he's heading for the door you have to put him back in for the long term confidence of all keepers at the club.
Just compare the facts, and stats of both keepers , and you will he your answer!

Yeah because the manager is making wise choices all over the pitch isn't he?
I agree with that, but if you put an old out of form keeper in the rest of the team suffer even more, RM is responsible for putting out his best balanced side with his inform players not just pick NAMES!
Some like TH are an automatic choice its a recipe for pure trouble I have never seen the heads drop so low v Stoke - the original team selection was wrong with TH playing for one!

Just compare the facts, and stats of both keepers , and you will he your answer!

Which stats?

the ones which show hes got twice as many clean sheets and a similar saves/goals ratio to Joel?

or the ones where people have picked which games to include to make Howard look bad?

Which stats?

the ones which show hes got twice as many clean sheets and a similar saves/goals ratio to Joel?

or the ones where people have picked which games to include to make Howard look bad?

I used to absolutely love Tim Howard, so much so I bought my nephew an Everton's goalkeeper shirt with #24 Howard on the back. The way he conducted himself during the World Cup Meme's Frenzy was admirable and the fact that he said that he wanted to play out his career here made me incredibly happy.

However, this season he has by no means been our best goalkeeper. Don't be so ridiculous to even state that he's performed well enough, because he hasn't. Stats rarely show cockups.

Which stats?

The stats on current form not yesteryear of an ageing goalkeeper who is 35 years old, and needs dropping!

My keyboard isn't capable of criticizing Howard. I've tried.

tumblr_mnavcpIWsA1qcxqayo1_1280.png

Lol wut.

What does it say to Robles that someone having a crap season comes straight back in after he's been infinitely better?

Think that's far more damaging to the "long term confidence of all keepers at the club".

The only thing Howard is confident of now is that he gets a game no matter how poorly he performs. That can't be a good thing.

Lol wut.

What does it say to Robles that someone having a crap season comes straight back in after he's been infinitely better?

Think that's far more damaging to the "long term confidence of all keepers at the club".

The only thing Howard is confident of now is that he gets a game no matter how poorly he performs. That can't be a good thing.
It's just the way I'd do it, that's not to say its indisputably the right way of doing it - it's psychology at the end of the day which is hardly an exact science. Trusting your designated no.1 is how I see confidence being bred, maybe theres merit in rewarding short-term performance but I think the evidence points to the former.

Mate.....no [Poor language removed].....nev was league's above even buffon....search some YouTube clips....he defied belief sometimes .....he was really that good
Thanks for the info and apologies for asking an honest question which I call out that I didn't see much of him. My apologies for being younger than you and not trusting YouTube clips of Footyball players. Osman looks like the World Player of the Year on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.